A Truck Gun, Fantasy or Reality - GRYlife Article

Faktory 47

NEATFREQ

Hunter
Jun 21, 2016
Gaston, South Carolina
Zip code
I'd like to share an article I just wrote and published. While I'm sure it's bound to rustle the molle panels of the Tactical Timmys, my focus is more to educate the owner past the buying process which I feel is neglected within our community greatly when dealing with new emerging industry trends.

Hope you all enjoy it. http://www.grylife.com/single-post/2016/09/29/A-Truck-Gun-Fantasy-or-Reality

www.grylife.com
Michael Frisina
GRYMAN INDUSTRIES
Director of Marketing and Brand Management

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I'd like to share an article I just wrote and published. While I'm sure it's bound to rustle the molle panels of the Tactical Timmys, my focus is more to educate the owner past the buying process which I feel is neglected within our community greatly when dealing with new emerging industry trends.

Hope you all enjoy it. http://www.grylife.com/single-post/2016/09/29/A-Truck-Gun-Fantasy-or-Reality

www.grylife.com
Michael Frisina
GRYMAN INDUSTRIES
Great article man, and I agree with the sentiment regarding truck guns. The only scenario where I'd find value in one was where I forgot to bring a firearm as I were fleeing a dangerous environment in my vehicle, and I can't imagine I could do that.

Just about ever "stolen gun" thread I've read includes "was left in a vehicle". Like you said, this isn't a secure location for firearms, especially NFA.

One thing...it's "cavalry", "calvary" was the site outside of Jerusalem's walls where jesus was crucified. People make that error all of the time because they mispronounce "cavalry" as "calvary.

Reactions: NEATFREQ

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Good read- and an excellent point about becoming the aggressor should you retrieve a "truck gun" and go back in harms way.

Personally, I'm just not leaving anything valuable in the car. For that matter, I won't even leave a well used ESEE knife in there- I do have a Mora or two though.

I think the truck's first aid kit is probably about the most valuable thing out there at the moment. Possibly the kid's car seat.

Reactions: NEATFREQ and Laufen

NEATFREQ

Hunter
Jun 21, 2016
Gaston, South Carolina
Zip code
Great article man, and I agree with the sentiment regarding truck guns. The only scenario where I'd find value in one was where I forgot to bring a firearm as I were fleeing a dangerous environment in my vehicle, and I can't imagine I could do that.

Just about ever "stolen gun" thread I've read includes "was left in a vehicle". Like you said, this isn't a secure location for firearms, especially NFA.

One thing...it's "cavalry", "calvary" was the site outside of Jerusalem's walls where jesus was crucified. People make that error all of the time because they mispronounce "cavalry" as "calvary.
Thank you for the reply and comment, appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: Laufen

NEATFREQ

Hunter
Jun 21, 2016
Gaston, South Carolina
Zip code
Good read- and an excellent point about becoming the aggressor should you retrieve a "truck gun" and go back in harms way.

Personally, I'm just not leaving anything valuable in the car. For that matter, I won't even leave a well used ESEE knife in there- I do have a Mora or two though.

I think the truck's first aid kit is probably about the most valuable thing out there at the moment. Possibly the kid's car seat.

Agree and thank you for the comment and enjoying the read

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
I carry at least two truck guns. Why have something to help you or others and not have it when you need it?

Do you not carry medical gear in your car? Do you leave your guns unlocked in the car? Are they out of sight? Do you leave your car in the mall parking lot full of firearms?

There is alot more to this then just worrying about people breaking into your car and stealing your go to guns?

I spent several years in Law Enforcement and we carried a truck/trunk/car gun as well as our sidearms. You as a normal citizen are no different. Who's to say you wont have to go back to your car for something else?

There are a million and one decisions are for each person to make in there own life. I will always have backups.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I carry at least two truck guns. Why have something to help you or others and not have it when you need it?

Do you not carry medical gear in your car? Do you leave your guns unlocked in the car? Are they out of sight? Do you leave your car in the mall parking lot full of firearms?

There is alot more to this then just worrying about people breaking into your car and stealing your go to guns?

I spent several years in Law Enforcement and we carried a truck/trunk/car gun as well as our sidearms. You as a normal citizen are no different. Who's to say you wont have to go back to your car for something else?

There are a million and one decisions are for each person to make in there own life. I will always have backups.
As law enforcement you can legally justify going to a car and going back to engage a suspect, as a citizen you've crossed the line from self defense to........something else, and a decent attorney will exploit that.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
As law enforcement you can legally justify going to a car and going back to engage a suspect, as a citizen you've crossed the line from self defense to........something else, and a decent attorney will exploit that.

Negative. If someone is hurting others and I have to go back to my car for more to continue engaging the threat - then so be it. I won't just lie down and give up. Lawyers are not of concern when life and liberty are on the line.

Reactions: dougiemac

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Negative. If someone is hurting others and I have to go back to my car for more to continue engaging the threat - then so be it. I won't just lie down and give up. Lawyers are not of concern when life and liberty are on the line.

I'd do the same if I got my family to safety first, but the situation gets sticky when you go back into a situation and you're armed, especially with a long gun. Will LE on the scene perceive you as a threat? Probably.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
I'd do the same if I got my family to safety first, but the situation gets sticky when you go back into a situation and you're armed. Will LE on the scene perceive you as a threat? Probably.

Training is everything and obviously you feel uncomfortable with the threat engagement and how it will be perceived. If a police officer joins the fray and asks me to get down, so be it. That is not the question or the article at hand?

The question was a backup or no? - Do you carry additional mags? Yes or No? So many other questions and just saying you will get broke into in a parking lot is silly. Your house could be robbed while your gone - do you have guns there?

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code

www.grylife.com
Michael Frisina
GRYMAN INDUSTRIES

I liked the article. For the sake of discussion I will give you my views on "truck guns".

I like having one, I do not keep one in my current truck due to not having a way to properly secure it.

In my last truck I was able to secure it in a way that you had to get through a padlock or totally remove the seats. Obviously this would not stop a determined criminal but it would take at least 45 minutes to get it out assuming they had the tools. I also never left it in there when I was gone for more than a day.

I kept a Mossberg maverick 12 gauge in there. I think the idea of a truck gun being for "tactical" reasons is silly as you said in your article. It would be stupid to go back to the truck for a gun and then return to danger.

I chose the 12 gauge because it complimented my GHB. I kept the barrel at 24" on it and kept various types of shells in my bag. My theory was if I had to use it to get home I had access to SD shells or bird/slugs for hunting. It is not an overly intimidating weapon and was cheap enough that I wasn't concerned about losing it (not to theft but if I had to abandon it during a SHTF type scenario).

With that said, if the opportunity financially arises to buy a Kel-tec sub2k to keep in my GHB I would do it as long as I had a proper way to secure it.

Reactions: NEATFREQ

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Training is everything and obviously you feel uncomfortable with the threat engagement and how it will be perceived. If a police officer joins the fray and asks me to get down, so be it. That is not the question or the article at hand?

The question was a backup or no? - Do you carry additional mags? Yes or No? So many other questions and just saying you will get broke into in a parking lot is silly. Your house could be robbed while your gone - do you have guns there?
If you're on the scene of a crime with a long gun, you're going to be perceived differently. It sounds a bit internet commando to think that the cops will ask you to join in the shootout because you tell them you're a good guy.

Do I carry additional mags? No, not usually.
My house is secured with many layers of security while my car only has glass windows. In the house I have an alarm, loud dog that WILL bite, and a safe that's bolted to the floor, and me...and you can't tell whether I'm home or not, unlike the car. This is a MUCH more secure environment than my vehicle, and the house is never parked in parking lots or places that criminals frequently target.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
I liked the article. For the sake of discussion I will give you my views on "truck guns".

I like having one, I do not keep one in my current truck due to not having a way to properly secure it.

In my last truck I was able to secure it in a way that you had to get through a padlock or totally remove the seats. Obviously this would not stop a determined criminal but it would take at least 45 minutes to get it out assuming they had the tools. I also never left it in there when I was gone for more than a day.

I kept a Mossberg maverick 12 gauge in there. I think the idea of a truck gun being for "tactical" reasons is silly as you said in your article. It would be stupid to go back to the truck for a gun and then return to danger.

I chose the 12 gauge because it complimented my GHB. I kept the barrel at 24" on it and kept various types of shells in my bag. My theory was if I had to use it to get home I had access to SD shells or bird/slugs for hunting. It is not an overly intimidating weapon and was cheap enough that I wasn't concerned about losing it (not to theft but if I had to abandon it during a SHTF type scenario).

With that said, if the opportunity financially arises to buy a Kel-tec sub2k to keep in my GHB I would do it as long as I had a proper way to secure it.

I am confused by everyones term "stupid" on confronting a threat and returning back to the vehicle and heading right back in..... Why would you assume the threat is over because you got back to your car? Are people wounded? Are you still under attack? Would you not go back in to save someones life?

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
If you're on the scene of a crime with a long gun, you're going to be perceived differently. It sounds a bit internet commando to think that the cops will ask you to join in the shootout because you tell them you're a good guy.

Do I carry additional mags? No, not usually.
My house is secured with many layers of security while my car only has glass windows. In the house I have an alarm, loud dog that WILL bite, and a safe that's bolted to the floor. This is a MUCH more secure environment than my vehicle, and the house is never parked in parking lots or places that criminals frequently target.

So you carry no back up mags?

You think a long gun is different to LEO then a pistol and you think your house is safe.

I can see what I am arguing against. Good luck.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
So you carry no back up mags?

You think a long gun is different to LEO then a pistol and you think your house is safe.

I can see what I am arguing against. Good luck.
1. No, I don't carry back up mags most of the time.

2. Cops rarely see people open carrying long guns, and if they do I'm guessing they'll be suspicious. At the scene of a shooting you're going to be perceived as a bad guy, how could they know otherwise? Do you think you could give them the secret hand sign and you'll just join in shoulder to shoulder to take down the baddies? lol, no. If I'm wrong, tell me how this would work.

3. You're arguing against someone that's made a valid point that you refuse to recognize because you've dug into your position and can't get out without losing face.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
1. No, I don't carry back up mags most of the time.
2. Cops rarely see people open carrying long guns, and if they do I'm guessing they'll be suspicious. At the scene of a shooting you're going to be perceived as a bad guy, how could they know otherwise? Do you think you could give them the secret hand sign and you'll just join in shoulder to shoulder to take down the baddies? lol, no.
3. You're arguing against someone that's made a valid point that you refuse to recognize because you've dug into your position and can't get out without losing face.

1. You carry a Gun with no back up mags. - you said that not me.
2. You think long guns are more suspicious then any other firearm at the scene of a crime.
3. I have asked legit questions you have still yet to provide a logical answer to.

Your assumptions are based off no experience and no facts....and your still arguing.

NEATFREQ

Hunter
Jun 21, 2016
Gaston, South Carolina
Zip code

Thanks for reading it and the comments

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
1. You carry a Gun with no back up mags. - you said that not me.
2. You think long guns are more suspicious then any other firearm at the scene of a crime.
3. I have asked legit questions you have still yet to provide a logical answer to.

Your assumptions are based off no experience and no facts....and your still arguing.

1. Correct. My goal is to get out of harms way as quickly as possible. If I were obese or in a wheelchair I'd carry spare mags, but I'm not.

2. Who has a long gun at the scene of a crime? Cops and Criminals. If your not a cop, then they'll assume you're the criminal. It's that simple.

3. I've answered every question you've asked....in detail.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
1. Correct. My goal is to get out of harms way as quickly as possible. If I were obese or in a wheelchair I'd carry spare mags, but I'm not.

2. Who has a long gun at the scene of a crime? Cops and Criminals. If your not a cop, then they'll assume you're the criminal. It's that simple.

3. I've answered every question you've asked.

1. Ok so to get out of harms way you apparently seem to think you can do it with one mag. (excellent shooter)
2. What facts about cops/criminals & long guns/pistols are you basing this theory off of - or it another assumption?
3. I have asked repeatedly why you would not go back to the threat if people were still getting hurt? - I have to assume from your argument that if someone was shooting at other people and you got away from the shooter then (screw) everyone else because you lived and not them.

Not cool by any means.

Thats why you carry a gun in the first place. To protect yourself and others.