A Truck Gun, Fantasy or Reality - GRYlife Article

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
To the original poster and your article. As it brings up valid points. I think it should have been named "Things to consider with a truck gun" - And not seem so biased against it. (since there are way to many possibilities and people out there)

NEATFREQ

Hunter
Jun 21, 2016
Gaston, South Carolina
Zip code
I am confused by everyones term "stupid" on confronting a threat and returning back to the vehicle and heading right back in..... Why would you assume the threat is over because you got back to your car? Are people wounded? Are you still under attack? Would you not go back in to save someones life?

Unless "you" are in threat of your life or are still being attacked by choosing to enter back into a live threat situation then you are then leaving a defensive position and will be seen as offensive. There is a thin line already we have to defend ourselves with when it comes to self-defense and vigilantism, we shouldn't make it any worse.

During research for my article I spoke with several of my local LEO, and they all said differing things but the common thing as that they would have no idea who the threat was in that situation and if met with a choice (guy with handgun) or (guy with a rifle) they all said they would shoot the guy with the rifle.

Ultimately it comes down to you and your decision as I stated in the article, I just want people who don't think further than the purchase to be aware of the liabilities and responsibilities of deciding to live the "truck gun" mentality.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
Unless "you" are in threat of your life or are still being attacked by choosing to enter back into a live threat situation then you are then leaving a defensive position and will be seen as offensive. There is a thin line already we have to defend ourselves with when it comes to self-defense and vigilantism, we shouldn't make it any worse.

During research for my article I spoke with several of my local LEO, and they all said differing things but the common thing as that they would have no idea who the threat was in that situation and if met with a choice (guy with handgun) or (guy with a rifle) they all said they would shoot the guy with the rifle.

Ultimately it comes down to you and your decision as I stated in the article, I just want people who don't think further than the purchase to be aware of the liabilities and responsibilities of deciding to live the "truck gun" mentality.

As former LE, I disagree. I have answered several calls with people pointing guns at each other and neither one got shot. We took them all into custody and worked it out from there. And the good guys left with no issues and the bad guys went to jail.

I agree with this absolutely. *(I just want people who don't think further than the purchase to be aware of the liabilities and responsibilities of deciding to live the "truck gun" mentality.)

NEATFREQ

Hunter
Jun 21, 2016
Gaston, South Carolina
Zip code
To the original poster and your article. As it brings up valid points. I think it should have been named "Things to consider with a truck gun" - And not seem so biased against it. (since there are way to many possibilities and people out there)

I think I named it perfect but you are free to your own opinion and I appreciate all feedback, however in my opinion there are several people that think a rifle and in this case a "truck gun" makes them a superhero, go do the research I did, it's not hard to find even instructors teaching to run back in and this mentality is going to get someone killed.

Reactions: Laufen

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
I think I named it perfect but you are free to your own opinion and I appreciate all feedback, however in my opinion there are several people that think a rifle and in this case a "truck gun" makes them a superhero, go do the research I did, it's not hard to find even instructors teaching to run back in and this mentality is going to get someone killed.

As a teacher. You should understand there are options. Choosing a right or wrong is where most instructors fail.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
1. Ok so to get out of harms way you apparently seem to think you can do it with one mag. (excellent shooter)
2. What facts about cops/criminals & long guns/pistols are you basing this theory off of - or it another assumption?
3. I have asked repeatedly why you would not go back to the threat if people were still getting hurt? - I have to assume from your argument that if someone was shooting at other people and you got away from the shooter then (screw) everyone else because you lived and not them.

Not cool by any means.

Thats why you carry a gun in the first place. To protect yourself and others.
1. Yes, Actually I am a pretty damned good shooter and I'm very fleet of foot.

2. The fact that people don't carry long guns as regularly as they carry handguns for sd and ccw makes the sight of someone with a long gun at the scene of a crime a different animal entirely. If you walked into a bank robbery and two guys had rifles and two guys had handguns...which would you guess in a split second were the good guys?

3. I answered this right off the bat, but my first priority is to get myself and my family to safety. I owe that to them, and their lives come first. If the situation is too dangerous for me to go back in, I'm not doing it. You might think it's "not cool", but at some point my desire to watch my little girl grow up trumps my desire to go into a dangerous situation with an unknown outcome. My reason for carrying is personal, as it is for all of us. If that's "not cool" by your standards then whatever. You're the one expecting police to ask you to join in the fight, lol. ok.

Reactions: scand

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
1. Yes, Actually I am a pretty damned good shooter and I'm very fleet of foot.

2. The fact that people don't carry long guns as regularly carry handguns for sd and ccw makes the sight of someone with a long gun at the scene of a crime a different animal entirely. If you walked into a bank robbery and two guys had rifles and two guys had handguns...which would you guess in a split second were the good guys?

3. I answered this right off the bat, but my first priority is to get myself and my family to safety. I owe that to them, and their lives come first. If the situation is too dangerous for me to go back in, I'm not doing it. You might think it's "not cool", but at some point my desire to watch my little girl grow up trumps my desire to go into a dangerous situation with an unknown outcome. My reason for carrying is personal, as it is for all of us. If that's "not cool" by your standards then whatever. You're the one expecting police to ask you to join in the fight, lol. ok.

Thank you for summing up what you are capable of and not capable of. That is important.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I am confused by everyones term "stupid" on confronting a threat and returning back to the vehicle and heading right back in..... Why would you assume the threat is over because you got back to your car? Are people wounded? Are you still under attack? Would you not go back in to save someones life?

That is very dependent on the situation. If I am alone and the threat is clear then I would consider it. But I think a better plan is to stay inside with my carry weapon and focus on assisting others in getting out and attempting to help and remove the wounded. I have lots of medical training and very little tactical training. Bleeding control and extrication are my skill set and I feel if the situation ever arose that would be a better way for me to help. By the time I did that and got to my truck there is a good chance the LE would already have arrived.

If I have my family then their safety is priority and I do not consider them safe till they are out of the area, not just to the parking lot.

Here is something else you have to consider. You are former law enforcement. I am a paramedic. I have no training in clearing a building. I have received training and practice for defensive gun use, not offensive.

Reactions: NEATFREQ and Patryn

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
That is very dependent on the situation. If I am alone and the threat is clear then I would consider it. But I think a better plan is to stay inside with my carry weapon and focus on assisting others in getting out and attempting to help and remove the wounded. I have lots of medical training and very little tactical training. Bleeding control and extrication are my skill set and I feel if the situation ever arose that would be a better way for me to help. By the time I did that and got to my truck there is a good chance the LE would already have arrived.

If I have my family then their safety and I do not consider them safe till they are out of the area, not just to the parking lot.

Here is something else you have to consider. You are former law enforcement. I am a paramedic. I have no training in clearing a building. I have received training and practice for defensive gun use, not offensive.

I am not putting myself or you above anyone else in this debate. All lives are equal to me. I would hope in the circumstance that someone would come back to help my wife or children.....not just there own and run.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

If I have my family then their safety and I do not consider them safe till they are out of the area, not just to the parking lot.

No, you're supposed to go to your truck, get your AR and go back inside. When the police show up, just tell them you're a good guy and they'll ask you to join in the fight. You'll get a key to the city, super internet cred, and an award for bravery at city hall.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
No, you're supposed to go to your truck, get your AR and go back inside. When the police show up, just tell them you're a good guy and they'll ask you to join in the fight. You'll get a key to the city, super internet cred, and an award for bravery at city hall.

Again, you are not offering any facts or training or any helpful advice. You are being dumb and assuming you already know the outcome is showing your immaturity.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Again, you are not offering any facts or training or any helpful advice. You are being dumb and assuming you already know the outcome is showing your immaturity.
You didn't answer my question. If you walked into a bank robbery and two guys had rifles and two guys had handguns...which would you guess in a split second were the good guys?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Which question was that?
If you walked into a bank robbery and two guys had rifles and two guys had handguns...which would you guess in a split second were the good guys? They're all dressed the same and all the same race. Hurry, you need to make the shot.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
If you walked into a bank robbery and two guys had rifles and two guys had handguns...which would you guess in a split second were the good guys?

Why does the type of firearm change the type of crime? If I walked into a bank and everyone had guns - then until more information is available everyone is getting treated the same - badguys.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
If you walked into a bank robbery and two guys had rifles and two guys had handguns...which would you guess in a split second were the good guys? They're all dressed the same and all the same race. Hurry, you need to make the shot.

Question have you ever had to answer a bank robbery call in progress?

Cause I have had several. All false alarms.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Why does the type of firearm change the type of crime? If I walked into a bank and everyone had guns - then until more information is available everyone is getting treated the same - badguys.
Ok. Don't answer.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Question have you ever had to answer a bank robbery call in progress?

Cause I have had several. All false alarms.
Another good answer to the question. :rolleyes: