Balthaz

Gone In 60 Seconds
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas Ga.
Zip code
That looks good @Balthaz . I’m debating on a 1911 80%. I want a bobtail 9mm commander with rails. I looked at this one.

https://www.stealtharms.net/1911-80-frame.html

Stealth Arms frames are always in Spec and Build Great 1911's

I have these tools for 1911 Frames and promote these Jigs:

Slide Rail Cutter:
https://www.matrixprecisionparts.com/19112011-tools-and-jigs/rx9o47aj51ttlbivyl8jza98nkq81o

And Barrel Seat Cutter:
https://www.matrixprecisionparts.com/19112011-tools-and-jigs/copy-of-barrel-seat-cutter-for-1911-1

Both of these tools are excellent and do GREAT work at finishing an 80% Frame.

Reactions: Rwjeter

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Stealth Arms frames are always in Spec and Build Great 1911's

I have these tools for 1911 Frames and promote these Jigs:

Slide Rail Cutter:
https://www.matrixprecisionparts.com/19112011-tools-and-jigs/rx9o47aj51ttlbivyl8jza98nkq81o

And Barrel Seat Cutter:
https://www.matrixprecisionparts.com/19112011-tools-and-jigs/copy-of-barrel-seat-cutter-for-1911-1

Both of these tools are excellent and do GREAT work at finishing an 80% Frame.
I want to do it so bad, but I’ve heard a 1911 is a lot more complicated. I have zero experience in building a 1911, much less an 80%. I’m glad to hear you have positive experience with Stealth Arms. Have you used their Jigs? Or would you recommend the other Jigs with the Stealth Arms build?

Balthaz

Gone In 60 Seconds
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas Ga.
Zip code
I want to do it so bad, but I’ve heard a 1911 is a lot more complicated. I have zero experience in building a 1911, much less an 80%. I’m glad to hear you have positive experience with Stealth Arms. Have you used their Jigs? Or would you recommend the other Jigs with the Stealth Arms build?

I use the Jigs I Posted From Matrix Precision and am glad I have them.
I have not used the ones from Stealth Arms but they use the same principle as the one I have, mine just uses a Screw to move the cutter and theirs uses your Arm LOL.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I use the Jigs I Posted From Matrix Precision and am glad I have them.
I have not used the ones from Stealth Arms but they use the same principle as the one I have, mine just uses a Screw to move the cutter and theirs uses your Arm LOL.
I trust a screw more than my arm. Lol. Probably a lot more consistent.

Reactions: Balthaz

Balthaz

Gone In 60 Seconds
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas Ga.
Zip code
I trust a screw more than my arm. Lol. Probably a lot more consistent.

The way their jig sets up it should work just fine especially because you are cutting aluminum.
It looks to be a slow process but my jig is a slow process as well and I check measurements as I go.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
The way their jig sets up it should work just fine especially because you are cutting aluminum.
It looks to be a slow process but my jig is a slow process as well and I check measurements as I go.
One of these days soon if you have time I’d like to pick your brain for advice. Seems you have a pretty good amount of experience with 80% 1911s. Have you used one of their pistol kits or do you buy parts individually? I just wonder about their quality for the money. $950 seems pretty steep for a parts kit without knowing who manufactures them.

Balthaz

Gone In 60 Seconds
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas Ga.
Zip code
One of these days soon if you have time I’d like to pick your brain for advice. Seems you have a pretty good amount of experience with 80% 1911s. Have you used one of their pistol kits or do you buy parts individually? I just wonder about their quality for the money. $950 seems pretty steep for a parts kit without knowing who manufactures them.

Pick away at my knowledge, and I buy parts that I like (950 is steep).
I use Wilson parts and Buy some parts from Palmetto State when the sell them.
I will get together a list of sites that I use for 1911's and post it here in a few days.
But any question you have just fire away.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Pick away at my knowledge, and I buy parts that I like (950 is steep).
I use Wilson parts and Buy some parts from Palmetto State when the sell them.
I will get together a list of sites that I use for 1911's and post it here in a few days.
But any question you have just fire away.
I guess my main questions are these:
Have you built a 9mm

What slide do you use?

Barrel?

What tools would be good for a beginner like me?

If I got it in the raw and finished it out how would Cerakote affect my tolerances? Does it need to be a little looser to allow for the cerakote? Or tight as you would an already finished frame?

Last edited:

Balthaz

Gone In 60 Seconds
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas Ga.
Zip code
9mm I have built from a Complete Frame I bought and after you finish the receiver it builds just the same.
Fitting the parts is Easy but very time consuming, so just have Patience when doing the fitting and go slow.
A rule of Thumb is a little is enough because you can not add metal back.
YouTube is your friend as a lot of the fitting has been Put up on the web (that is a Plus).
I can give Tips as you need them but my suggestion is start watching the videos now to see if you want to tackle this project.
My first 1911 took me 6 months to complete but of course I was just taking my time and I was 15 years old then too LOL (my Grandfather showed me how to fit the parts).
Will answer more when I get home from work.