80% Lower Build PArty

American Revival Apparel Company

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
It's tempting. But I honestly think I'm too much of a perfectionist to be happy with one. Maybe if we had access to a cnc mill or something?
Guy on ODT has one and asked to do an 80% party as well.

I get what you are saying, but a non CNC mill was mentioned early. That should be pretty damn close. With jigs, I would almost not want a CNC as one small measurement error could possibly ruin a lower. Manual would give us total user control.

Balthaz

Gone In 60 Seconds
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas Ga.
Zip code
Guy on ODT has one and asked to do an 80% party as well.

I get what you are saying, but a non CNC mill was mentioned early. That should be pretty damn close. With jigs, I would almost not want a CNC as one small measurement error could possibly ruin a lower. Manual would give us total user control.

Problem with CNC or Build Party at a business is this.
The ATF has busted some of these parties in the past at some of the CNC Manufacturer Places of Business that are not class 7 Manufacturer.
The CNC company just let people use their machine to do the build party and got busted for it.
The ATF said if the CNC Machine was part of a Business to make money it could not be used in this manner as it makes the Business a Class 7 Manufacturer in dealing with Firearms.
If we have a CNC at someone's house and They download the program load it and then install the Piece into the jig then hit the play button everything OK or even use a Router then everything is OK (the firearm was made by the person on personal Property).
But if you do this at a business then According to the ATF they become a Class 7 Manufacturer and need all of the proper Paperwork and Serial each piece then transfer each one to everyone there.
So that is the major problem with a CNC or any build party.
But as stated as long as you do it at a Host house and not a Business everything should be OK (but do not bring a machine home from said CNC Business then it is not OK).
That is why most Manufacturers do not let you use there machines any more (too many rules from the ATF).

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I imagine @DarthVader could spend a few weeks hand finishing and polishing behind his desk and perfect it if he wanted.

I have a few Andersons, I think I could deal with it.
Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?! I gotta admit that an 80%, cleanly machined with a mill and refinished, has a real appeal.

Only problem is, that you can't sell them next time things get stupid...

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
The ATF has busted some of these parties in the past at some of the CNC Manufacturer Places of Business that are not class 7 Manufacturer.
The CNC company just let people use their machine to do the build party and got busted for it.
The ATF said if the CNC Machine was part of a Business to make money it could not be used in this manner as it makes the Business a Class 7 Manufacturer in dealing with Firearms.
If we have a CNC at someone's house and They download the program load it and then install the Piece into the jig then hit the play button everything OK or even use a Router then everything is OK (the firearm was made by the person on personal Property).
But if you do this at a business then According to the ATF they become a Class 7 Manufacturer and need all of the proper Paperwork and Serial each piece then transfer each one to everyone there.
But as stated as long as you do it at a Host house and not a Business everything should be OK (but do not bring a machine home from said CNC Business then it is not OK).
That is why most Manufacturers do not let you use there machines any more (too many rules from the ATF).
The ODT one was with what I asume was a cheap CNC desktop style mill, definitely not a business. Probably one of the CNC converted Harbot Freight mills??

I get what you are saying though. Definitely want to keep this as a garage type event. No grey areas for me.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Yeah, those guys really got their ass in a sling. But, they were also in the business of selling 80% lowers and made a sport of pissing off the ATF. You can only flip them off for so long, before they bust you in the nose.

That being said, you're 100% correct.

Reactions: Wallace and Balthaz

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
The one thing I'd mention here is the drill bits/cutters that come with most jigs are freaking terrible.

If you were planning on cutting several lowers, I would either have a new good quality bit(s)/end mill(s) or a way to sharpen the ones being used. There's no doubt that the used bits will do the job, but there's a big difference in cut quality between a sharp bit and a used one. Also, I can't say how important drilling/tapping fluid is for this kind of work. Aluminum tends to tear rather than cut cleanly like steel. The tapping fluid makes everything go so much smoother.

Just some thoughts on shop supplies as this seems to be gaining steam. And paper towels- the good blue shop towels or actual cloth rags. Those help a lot too.

Reactions: Wallace

Balthaz

Gone In 60 Seconds
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas Ga.
Zip code
The one thing I'd mention here is the drill bits/cutters that come with most jigs are freaking terrible.

If you were planning on cutting several lowers, I would either have a new good quality bit(s)/end mill(s) or a way to sharpen the ones being used. There's no doubt that the used bits will do the job, but there's a big difference in cut quality between a sharp bit and a used one. Also, I can't say how important drilling/tapping fluid is for this kind of work. Aluminum tends to tear rather than cut cleanly like steel. The tapping fluid makes everything go so much smoother.

Just some thoughts on shop supplies as this seems to be gaining steam. And paper towels- the good blue shop towels or actual cloth rags. Those help a lot too.

My Mills cost from 20.00 to 75.00 each so I do know what you are talking about on End Mill cost.
The ones for my Router cost 20.00 each plus shipping.

Cut1.JPG

Cut2.JPG

Balthaz

Gone In 60 Seconds
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas Ga.
Zip code
Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?! I gotta admit that an 80%, cleanly machined with a mill and refinished, has a real appeal.

Only problem is, that you can't sell them next time things get stupid...

Not entirely true.
The ATF says you can as long as the intent was to make it for yourself Originally and when you sell it you have to mark it with your Name, Your City, and Serial Number, and caliber.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Not entirely true.
The ATF says you can as long as the intent was to make it for yourself Originally and when you sell it you have to mark it with your Name, Your City, and Serial Number, and caliber.
Correct. I just wouldn't want any lowers with my info floating around, nor would I want to appear to be manufacturing lowers for sale.

Balthaz

Gone In 60 Seconds
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas Ga.
Zip code
Correct. I just wouldn't want any lowers with my info floating around, nor would I want to appear to be manufacturing lowers for sale.

Agreed but just wanted to point out the ATF rules LOL

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
10-4. I should have said, "wouldn't want to" instead of "can't" sell them.

Agreed- I'd rather and saw it into three pieces than sell it with the required information.

I was interested the 80% lowers just for the learning aspect originally. I agree that it's not worth the money to buy an 80% when it's literally cheaper to buy a finished lower with SN. But I can also appreciate the learning side of building one yourself.

Balthaz

Gone In 60 Seconds
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas Ga.
Zip code
Agreed- I'd rather and saw it into three pieces than sell it with the required information.

I was interested the 80% lowers just for the learning aspect originally. I agree that it's not worth the money to buy an 80% when it's literally cheaper to buy a finished lower with SN. But I can also appreciate the learning side of building one yourself.

That is my point in all of this was the learning process, and not to mention it was FUN.

Also I just bought this jig and I have the rest of the jigs to do 80 Percent 1911's too.

http://www.matrixprecisionparts.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=72
4950.jpg

And this is the barrel Seat cutter I have:

http://www.matrixprecisionparts.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=33
001.jpg

I also have the Drilling Jig too for 1911's

And here is the 80 percent lower:

1911.JPG