Your mindset on home defense weapons?

Faktory 47

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
While this topic has been discussed on firearm interwebz sites the world over, I thought it would be interesting to see what the mindset is of the members here.

Do you rely on one of the more prevalent options, (shotgun, AR or pistol), or do you use a different platform?

How does capacity and muzzle flash/report fit in to your selection?

Do you attach lights or lasers to your HD setup / carry a torch in your weak hand, or do you subscribe to the notion that lights could cause a detrimental situation by giving away your location in some scenarios?

Lastly, an oldie but a goodie, what type of round do you find best for your particular situation? Is your selection predicated upon over-penetration & backstop, stopping power, or perhaps reduced recoil?

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
My current home defense setup consists of an HK USP 45 Tactical and a HK USC 45 carbine.

The USC is such a handy little carbine and despite what the interwebs says the recoil isn't bad at all. Aside from always wanting one I figured it is always easier to hit a target with a rifle than a pistol. I have two 20 round mags filled with 230 gr Hornady XTPs cinched to each other. If 40 rounds of 45 can't get the job done inside the house I don't know what will. I plan on SBR-ing it and turning it in to a UMP 45, with two 30 round mags and a Surefire M600 Scout on it. The barrel will be threaded to accep a suppressor, which incidentally can also be run on my USP 45 Tactical.

The USP 45T is for those times when I might need one hand free....and I wanted a USP45T. It doubles as my SHTF pistol.

Reactions: boss_hawg

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Glock 17 with a TLR-1s along with a Mossberg 590A1 loaded with buckshot. That's my first line that will get me to my safe to get the big boys out to play.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I use a pistol for inside the house with a light mounted and an offhand light.

If its something outside I take a shotgun.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
For the past few years I've kept my .45 EDC on the night stand with a flashlight next to it and an AR with a TLR2s. Now that I have another 12ga, I've been trying to decide if the AR or the 12ga is the better long-gun option while considering over-penetration and the best effective load. This is a little more concerning to me since I live in n a subdivision with houses in all directions & the neighbors on either side have kids.

I'm not really worried about capacity with either one; 30 rounds of 5.56 or 8 rounds of 12ga with 6 more on the saddle should be sufficient for most scenarios.

While a 55gr 5.56 will fragment pretty rapidly, the report in a confined space would be deafening (and I don't think I'd have the composure to throw on some hearing protection before I grab it to check out what went bump in the night). The 12ga with 00 buck is not going to be pleasant on the ears, but not as bad as an AR, I just worry about over-penetration.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
While this topic has been discussed on firearm interwebz sites the world over, I thought it would be interesting to see what the mindset is of the members here.

Do you rely on one of the more prevalent options, (shotgun, AR or pistol), or do you use a different platform?

How does capacity and muzzle flash/report fit in to your selection?

Do you attach lights or lasers to your HD setup / carry a torch in your weak hand, or do you subscribe to the notion that lights could cause a detrimental situation by giving away your location in some scenarios?

Lastly, an oldie but a goodie, what type of round do you find best for your particular situation? Is your selection predicated upon over-penetration & backstop, stopping power, or perhaps reduced recoil?
Mp5k w/ octane 45 left mounted and/or 1911 in the bedside table.

Mp5k for when I think shit is going down, 1911 if I get a late knock on the door and need to tuck something.

Capacity is kind of meh for me, but the mp5 is there with 30 if need be, and the fiancée has 17 rounds of 9mm in her bedside Glock. Hers has night sites as well which I need on my other set ups., I learned to really like them when tagging along for some night time training while working with a prosecutors office.

I have high powered flashlights by the bed as well, but I don't take them with me, if I can help it I'm not moving far, I've got no kids to worry about.

Rounds preferred are 45 pdx1's and my metric shit load of 147gr Winchester black talons an ICE armor had handy from when they changed ammos. Otherwise I'm not sure which 9mm jhp is my favorite, never looked into 9 as my carry was 357 sig. Unfortunately I rarely carry anymore.

Balthaz

Gone In 60 Seconds
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas Ga.
Zip code
I have a Simple Stainless Pump Shotgun next to the bed loaded with 00 Buck No plug so lots of Hotness coming out the end.
Now that is just to get me to my Ruger Mini 14 behind the door (I chose this one because of reliability).
For the Late night sounds I have a .357 Ruger Security Six 4in Barrel that I grab out of my Nightstand.
Also have my EDC by the bed too just in case and that pistol is my Ruger SR1911 or My Sig P239 whichever I carried that day, but I always go for the revolver late at night.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Ran across a video showing how different SG loads penetrate indoor walls

As well as a comparison of 9mm, 5.56 and 12ga through multiple walls

Last edited:

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Glock 37 with Octane 45 HD and Veridian laser mounted on rail. AR15 loaded with M855 at the ready with 5 extra mags.

Balthaz

Gone In 60 Seconds
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas Ga.
Zip code
As long as I do not have to work will be there.