Your First aid / medical / trauma kits

Howard Law

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I didn't want to derail the other thread discussing medical kits, so I'm starting this one for critiquing personal kits.

This is one I put together for my truck, I have something similar in my BOB.

Feel free to critique my contents; most of what you see I received as vendor samples, so I kinda threw this together based on multiples I had on hand.

The padded case is from some electronics gear I no longer use, just an impromptu case I came up with.

Left side:
image.jpg

Right side:
image.jpg

Sorry if the 2nd pic sucked, here is another version of the right side:
image.jpg

Reactions: Patryn

BackWoods

Frontiersman
Jul 5, 2015
Temple
Zip code
Not bad bro! Good to see everything is clearly colored and labeled. That way if someone has to go in your pack, they'll be able to find stuff. Maybe, a pair of scissors or shears as well. Also, some form of tourniquet.

The things that I see that imo are wrong and almost scary, is when people make "trauma kits" and carry items that even we aren't allowed to use under M.D. Orders(medical control) ie. Decompression needles, etc.. There's a lovely saying that holds true to most of the medical field, Primum non nocere "first, do no harm". Which means, sometimes it's better to do nothing than to cause further harm.

Last edited:

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Not bad bro! Good to see everything is clearly colored and labeled. That way if someone has to go in your pack, they'll be able to find stuff. Maybe, a pair of scissors or shears as well. Also, some form of tourniquet.
I do need to get some scissors (just have a folding knife in there at the moment); as for the tourniquet, I always wear a belt and have cordage, but as you said, if anyone had to grab my pack and use it, I should probably add one in.

BackWoods

Frontiersman
Jul 5, 2015
Temple
Zip code
I do need to get some scissors (just have a folding knife in there at the moment); as for the tourniquet, I always wear a belt and have cordage, but as you said, if anyone had to grab my pack and use it, I should probably add one in.

Yeah, doesn't even have to be a CAT or anything expensive. Could be a piece of elastic rubber with a piece of tape labeled "Tourniquet" for example. Also, trauma shears are super cheap, hence why I can afford to lose them but, will cut through most material/clothing and allows you to cut bandage/packaging for diff. Applications.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
The things that I see that imo are wrong and almost scary, is when people make "trauma kits" and carry items that even we aren't allowed to use under M.D. Orders(medical control) ie. Decompression needles, etc.. There's a lovely saying that holds true to most of the medical field, Primum non nocere "first, do no harm". Which means, sometimes it's better to do nothing than to cause further harm.
I've been on the fence about tourniquets for the simple fact that if someone were to use it on me, I may end up losing a limb if they don't understand timing/bloodflow. I'll probably still add one to my kit, but label it with "Don't use this unless you want to beaten with my nub"

BackWoods

Frontiersman
Jul 5, 2015
Temple
Zip code
I've been on the fence about tourniquets for the simple fact that if someone were to use it on me, I may end up losing a limb if they don't understand timing/bloodflow. I'll probably still add one to my kit, but label it with "Don't use this unless you want to beaten with my nub"

Haha! Well, If I were to use a tourniquet it's going to be for a arterial bleed or uncontrolled bleeding. If I don't stop that you could bleed out, go into shock and could possibly die. It's a "life over limb" scenario.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Haha! Well, If I were to use a tourniquet it's going to be for a arterial bleed or uncontrolled bleeding. If I don't stop that you could bleed out, go into shock and could possibly die. It's a "life over limb" scenario.
I'm with ya, I'd certainly rather survive without an appendage than die of bleeding out.

But back on the topic of critiquing, is there anything else that I'm missing?

Jacob Villers

Woodsman
Aug 16, 2015
Elizabeth WV
May add a tourniquet, shears and a couple izzys. You are on the right track though? Another this to consider is on an average day how far are you away from your vehicle? Far enough for a loved one to bleed out while you run to it and back. It may sound paranoid but I keep a few essentials with me at all times.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
May add a tourniquet, shears and a couple izzys. You are on the right track though? Another this to consider is on an average day how far are you away from your vehicle? Far enough for a loved one to bleed out while you run to it and back. It may sound paranoid but I keep a few essentials with me at all times.
Nothing sounds paranoid to me (well, for the most part ;) ) I try to remain open to all possibilities ..... but I work from home unless I'm traveling, at which point I don't carry much through the airport security line.

Izzys = Israeli bandage? Heard of these mentioned but will need to look them up.

Jacob Villers

Woodsman
Aug 16, 2015
Elizabeth WV
Yes Israeli dressings. As far as airport security you could carry a thin Cinch in one pocket and a swat T in another. I'm not a huge fan of swat ts but they are metal free.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Yes Israeli dressings. As far as airport security you could carry a thin Cinch in one pocket and a swat T in another. I'm not a huge fan of swat ts but they are metal free.
Gotcha, just looked up the Israeli dressings, might order a couple of those to help consolidate and save space.

As for the travel part, I must admit that I only pack work related electronics and clothing; I don't check a bag unless I'm going to an ops project where I need to take tools / blade, etc. With that said, even when I check a bag, I'm still guilty of not taking any survival gear .... I guess I've always thought that since I have local contacts and buildings at nearly every airport I fly to, I'm not far from basic security and supplies should something ever happen

Last edited:

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I think you have a pretty good set-up although I wonder about the spray cans. Also, do you keep track of the expiration dates on the perishables?

Aug 12, 2015
PA
I didn't want to derail the other thread discussing medical kits, so I'm starting this one for critiquing personal kits.

This is one I put together for my truck, I have something similar in my BOB.

Feel free to critique my contents; most of what you see I received as vendor samples, so I kinda threw this together based on multiples I had on hand.

The padded case is from some electronics gear I no longer use, just an impromptu case I came up with.

Left side:
View attachment 6364

Right side:
View attachment 6365

Sorry if the 2nd pic sucked, here is another version of the right side:
View attachment 6366
a little hard to read on some of them.... you have a tourniquet in there? Personally, I like the swat-t versions.... multi-purpose and super simple to use. Definitely a good idea to have in your vehicle. A friend of mine had his and came upon an accident and fortunately was able to assist until paramedics got there. Sometimes, you aren't the one who's going to need it.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
a little hard to read on some of them.... you have a tourniquet in there? Personally, I like the swat-t versions.... multi-purpose and super simple to use. Definitely a good idea to have in your vehicle. A friend of mine had his and came upon an accident and fortunately was able to assist until paramedics got there. Sometimes, you aren't the one who's going to need it.
No tourniquet currently as I always wear a belt or have some paracord, but as I mentioned in another post, I might go ahead and add one in the event someone has to use the kit on me and just hope they know how to time it correctly so I don't earn the nick-name "nubs"

Aug 12, 2015
PA
Sorry. didn't read all of the posts...just yours :) But i'd seriously look into a swat-t. it's like 12 bucks. It's quick and easy. And If someone is busted up to the point they need that tourney, I'm not too worried about limb damage, as stopping them from bleeding out is more important. It's pretty unlikely that permanent damage will come from a TQ, overall. Note: I'm not a DR., I just play one on the interwebs.

Lokidogg

Woodsman
Mar 28, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I have a FULL kit. Injectable lidocaine sutures staples scalpels you name it if it can be carried I probably have it and know how to use it ( wife is a nurse and I have had EMT training) I sew up a cut or stabilize a sucking chest wound. Rotate my stock as often as needed.

Reactions: Guardian Defense

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Sorry. didn't read all of the posts...just yours :) But i'd seriously look into a swat-t. it's like 12 bucks. It's quick and easy. And If someone is busted up to the point they need that tourney, I'm not too worried about limb damage, as stopping them from bleeding out is more important. It's pretty unlikely that permanent damage will come from a TQ, overall. Note: I'm not a DR., I just play one on the interwebs.

I hear ya, I'll probably add one when I order up an Israeli bandage and a set of good shears; never hurts to be over-prepared .... even if I did stay at a Holiday Inn las night :D

Reactions: Guardian Defense

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I have a FULL kit. Injectable lidocaine sutures staples scalpels you name it if it can be carried I probably have it and know how to use it ( wife is a nurse and I have had EMT training) I sew up a cut or stabilize a sucking chest wound. Rotate my stock as often as needed.
I thought about adding a suture kit, but I think that's as far as I should go for now until I get some real training