**Winter camping**

Howard Law

Kaotiktribe

Frontiersman
Jul 5, 2015
Kennesaw
Zip code
Been trying to do 2 camping trips a year with my buddies. Ususally attempt one in the spring and the other in the fall, but due to conflicting schedules we couldnt all be available till December and i suspect it will be much colder than were used to.

Any tips/tricks for winter camping?

I do know I wanna get a percolator for some coffee, but it will need to be small enough to pack. Where we park will only be about 2.5miles from where we plan to set up camp.

Location is Ellijay on friends private property. Will need to haul all my gear and rifle etc...

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Layers are your friend.

Also, before bed boil a pot of water and pour it in a nalgene bottle then put it in a wool sock and put it in your sleeping bag. Makes a nice thing to keep your feet warm.

Reactions: Kaotiktribe

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Like @ATLEMT said. Layers will be your best friend. Also good socks and changing them regularly will keep the feet warm.

What type of sleeping bag and tent do you plan on using?

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
A good set of long-johns/Thermals can keep you from having to layer too much and get overly bulky (advice from a Yankee)

becausefu

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
my house
Keep your tent small ....do not use the same tent in winter that you would use in summer. Airspace is great for keeping you cool in the summer but it's a shit insulation in the winter. Also make sure you have a footprint to go under your tent .... the ground is cold and it'll suck heat out of you quickly. I don't know much myself but the last 5 years I've been part of the Mammoth Sniper Challenge and watched the guys camp out in January in Kentucky .....

Reactions: Cudruln

Kaotiktribe

Frontiersman
Jul 5, 2015
Kennesaw
Zip code
Like @ATLEMT said. Layers will be your best friend. Also good socks and changing them regularly will keep the feet warm.

What type of sleeping bag and tent do you plan on using?

Will be using a Elite sleep systems Recon 3 bag and Snugpack liner. Bag is good to 20 and liner should add a few.

Tent will be a Snugpack Ionosphere 1 man.

Kaotiktribe

Frontiersman
Jul 5, 2015
Kennesaw
Zip code
A good set of long-johns/Thermals can keep you from having to layer too much and get overly bulky (advice from a Yankee)

Ill be using Under Armoru cold gear conpression top and bottoms. Should help wick moisture better than thermal while working out there prepping firewood.

Kaotiktribe

Frontiersman
Jul 5, 2015
Kennesaw
Zip code
Keep your tent small ....do not use the same tent in winter that you would use in summer. Airspace is great for keeping you cool in the summer but it's a shit insulation in the winter. Also make sure you have a footprint to go under your tent .... the ground is cold and it'll suck heat out of you quickly. I don't know much myself but the last 5 years I've been part of the Mammoth Sniper Challenge and watched the guys camp out in January in Kentucky .....

Ill be putting a tarp down under my tent. A wool blanket in my tent along with an inflatable thermarest mat.

Kaotiktribe

Frontiersman
Jul 5, 2015
Kennesaw
Zip code
Layers are your friend.

Also, before bed boil a pot of water and pour it in a nalgene bottle then put it in a wool sock and put it in your sleeping bag. Makes a nice thing to keep your feet warm.

Def gonna try this. I got lots of the hot hands stuff to put in my bag if needed also.

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Looks to me like you are set up pretty well. Stay warm out there

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Damn I need to follow your lead get this set up and try it out too. Sound like this is well planned and thought out. Grab a Yeti tumbler to boil with and make hot drinks with. Compact and easy to pack.