FatAlbert

Cerakote applicator, PM for quotes.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
GA
www.facebook.com
Zip code
I would ask what makes less than 16" the magical number that makes a rifle a SBR? We try to make everything as light and portable as possible so why would guns be any different?

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I'm just curious why everyone seems to think that SBRing a rifle is the bee's knees. I'm not saying you shouldn't build one, I don't care. I don't think we should have to pay $200 to have a shorter rifle or ANY infringement on our ability to own guns of any variety. I'm just trying to understand why people seem to be SBRing guns more and more.

I don't know anyone that actively carries an SBR in a backpack or briefcase everyday (except a couple cops). I'm nto saying nobody carried one, but I know a lot of people that have SBRs and their EDC is a pistol. The only reason I'd want one is if I could carry it with me each day. A truck gun doesn't really need to be an SBR since if you can safely get to your truck you could safely get to the 16" carbine inside...not to mention the possibility and extreme headache of an NFA gun being stolen if your vehicle gets vandalized.

For home defense a rifle caliber SBR ( even 300 BO) isn't really a good choice unless you KNOW you won't miss and send a round into the room behind the perp. Even 9mm and .45 can go through most walls nowadays...

None of us are clearing rooms searching for ISIS....

Aside from a few niche and expensive calibers the average intermediate rifle cartridge will lose energy and range in SBR configuration...in some cases becoming about as effective as hot 10mm out of a handgun.

So....why?
didn't you pay the tax stamp to take an AK barrel from 16" to 14"?

T-Roy

Hunter
Jun 24, 2015
I would ask what makes less than 16" the magical number that makes a rifle a SBR? We try to make everything as light and portable as possible so why would guns be any different?
Federal law? Or if there some deeply philosophical view of the question that's escaping me?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

FatAlbert

Cerakote applicator, PM for quotes.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
GA
www.facebook.com
Zip code
Why are our cell phone batteries not three times as big as they are? Sure would be nice not to have to charge them but once a week.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
didn't you pay the tax stamp to take an AK barrel from 16" to 14"?

I have yet to take my AK barrel from 16" to 12"....it's got a booster look a like shroud on it now.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Why are our cell phone batteries not three times as big as they are? Sure would be nice not to have to charge them but once a week.

Well the average person carries a cell phone more than a rifle. Even among the gun public I'd wager carrying a EDC SBR is not the norm...Not saying I'm against it. I really want that Krinkov. 19" folded....but not sure it's worth the money. Were I to SBR my AK105 it would only be 23" folded and be a lot more effective rifle...but finding a normal looking backpack that will fit a 23" gun is more difficult than I thought.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
My theory is that they cubed their dick length.

It's better to have a 2.5198" dick than a 2.5" dick.

Well, on second thought if their dicks had only been 2.5 inches then I could squeeze by sans stamp with my 15 and 5/8" barrel. Just mathing and shit right now...

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
I'm just curious why everyone seems to think that SBRing a rifle is the bee's knees. I'm not saying you shouldn't build one, I don't care. I don't think we should have to pay $200 to have a shorter rifle or ANY infringement on our ability to own guns of any variety. I'm just trying to understand why people seem to be SBRing guns more and more.

I don't know anyone that actively carries an SBR in a backpack or briefcase everyday (except a couple cops). I'm nto saying nobody carried one, but I know a lot of people that have SBRs and their EDC is a pistol. The only reason I'd want one is if I could carry it with me each day. A truck gun doesn't really need to be an SBR since if you can safely get to your truck you could safely get to the 16" carbine inside...not to mention the possibility and extreme headache of an NFA gun being stolen if your vehicle gets vandalized.

For home defense a rifle caliber SBR ( even 300 BO) isn't really a good choice unless you KNOW you won't miss and send a round into the room behind the perp. Even 9mm and .45 can go through most walls nowadays...

None of us are clearing rooms searching for ISIS....

Aside from a few niche and expensive calibers the average intermediate rifle cartridge will lose energy and range in SBR configuration...in some cases becoming about as effective as hot 10mm out of a handgun.

So....why?

Because when you suppress a 16" barrel you're going to be adding 7-9" plus weight. Too long and too forward heavy. Gotta SBR it.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Well, I've got two AR lowers that are pistols. Let me tell you that they don't shoot worth a damn as far as ergonomics are concerned. The Sig brace makes no difference. A real stock and a decent cheek weld make all the difference in the world.

In my humble opinion, it's worth the $200 stamp to make the rifle work right.

Reactions: Cudruln