Why isn't anyone doing this?

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Horribly toxic LOL. About 1/1000th as toxic ad what's in your car battery and 1/100th as toxic as what the bug guy sprays.
I don't want that shit on me either.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I don't want that shit on me either.

Nor do I but calling it horribly toxic is a bit over the top and Internet drama. Yes it is lead acetate, but the acid is fucking food grade vinegar.

I bet the byproducts of cleaning your guns is every bit as toxic.

Wear gloves and don't drink it and you will be good.

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I have looked pretty in-depth at dozens of coatins and surface treatments for baffles. The best ones are done by the PVD process, and there are very few companies who do it in the South East. Most of them are on the west coast. Any other film type coats won't survive the heat and abrasion.

For baffles to get done, they have to be an 07/02, or close enough and willing to let a responsible person come to their facility and babysit the parts while they get coated. I have found a shop willing to work with us, so that's something we are going to try in the future.

On the other hand, there's more to it than just stick on a coating. You have to look at the base material too. If the base metal is aluminum, it will still be pourous and soft. So stuff will still adhere and if you try too hard to clean it, you can gouge the material underneath the coating.

We use 6al4v titanium because it's naturally tough, and almost nothing chemically bonds to it. So if you ever want to clean your baffles like new, send them back to us and we will bead blast it to perfection.
I will say that the deposits on the baffles do help suppression, so long as it's not so much that it's reducing the volume significantly.

Reactions: Liberty and Laufen

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Most coatings raise the cost of the suppressor. I am gonna experiment with a electroless nickel teflon coating on my .22 can. It will be the same coating i applied to @Cudruln a bolt for his AR9 build.

Reactions: Cudruln and Laufen

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
If HPA passes I'm buying a 3d printer and running polymer baffles in all my rimfire cans.

If you paid the money for the stamp and you have your can you can't build new baffles for your existing can?

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
Makes sense I guess...well, not really but the NFA doesn't make any sense so I guess the laws that surround it shouldn't either.

Pretty much. If the rule doesn't make sense, that the standard for what you should expect with the NFA/ATF junk.

Reactions: Laufen