Who here knows stuff about AKs

GA Firing Line

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Ok, so I have an AK project plan that has some loose ends I would like to tie up. I want a folding stock AK in 762 with around a 10" barrel and 30 cal can. I did some research between a draco and a M92. Apparently the Serbians are better with QC and have better attention to detail, and therefore a better quality firearm. I am confused whether or not the barrels are chrome lined, as different sources have said differently. This leads me to my first question.

Is the Zastava M92 a solid choice for my goal?

Moving on, I could make this one of two ways. I could buy a pistol M92 and install a stock somehow, or buy one that comes with the stock already and a fake can on it making it rifle length. See here http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/83741/CIA+HG3089N+PAP+Handgun+30+1+7.62X39mm+10" and here https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...ak47-krink-rifle-russian-red-wood-detail.html This leads me to questions 2 and 3.

Has anyone ever attached a folding stock to an AK pistol, or do you know any shops that can do it for me?

and

If I got the one with the stock and fake can, is it possible to remove the fake can and thread the barrel for my actual can, and does Dobbs do this kind of thing?

Furthermore, concerning concentric threading of the barrel to the bore, I cannot seem to find a straight answer to whether or not these come concentric or not. Questions 4 and 5.

Does the M92 come concentric to bore?

and

If not, does Dobbs have the ability to thread it bore concentric?

----------
Here is the one from Atlantic with the stock and fake can
m92pvriflered%20(1%20of%2016).jpg

Here is the pistol from Buds Guns
83741.jpg

Here is my end goal
OSChIKa.jpg

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
798ac587070c113b229e6d822003047b.jpg

This was an M85 pistol. I bought the Stormwerkz folding hinge and shim to make the angle even. Brian at Dobbs drilled and tapped the rear of the receiver so I could attach the two. The PAP pistols are great. I prefer them but some parts only line up to other Paps where the Dracos use any surplus parts. What you're trying to do is not difficult.

Reactions: boss_hawg

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
798ac587070c113b229e6d822003047b.jpg

This was an M85 pistol. I bought the Stormwerkz folding hinge and shim to make the angle even. Brian at Dobbs drilled and tapped the rear of the receiver so I could attach the two. The PAP pistols are great. I prefer them but some parts only line up to other Paps where the Dracos use any surplus parts. What you're trying to do is not difficult.
still salivating...

Reactions: Strider12

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Not a AK expert, But... Get the rifle with the folding stock, and the fake can, I'm willing to bet that you could find a real can that will fit the same threads already on the rifle. Once your paperwork clears the ATF, you could can cut down the barrel, and get a real can for your rifle. I think @ArtVandely is doing something like this on one of his guns. As far as your barrel questions, I'll have to ask someone else, and get back with you. If I was you and this was my project, I would not worry about the barrel being chrome lined or not, but I have noticed that AK's, for the most part, that if the barrel is US made it wont be chrome lined, but if its from the former eastern block countries, it will be.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
M92s are not chrome lined, the m85s are. With 7.62 chrome lining isn't all that important as there isn't too much corrosive 7.62 floating around anymore. Where it 5.45 like min chrome lining is a necessity.

I know it's expensive, but if you want a solid folding stock then an Arsenal SLR107UR is the best bet. Chrome lined barrel and it's a left side folder. The folding trunions themselves are hard to find and not cheap.Dobbs defense can install a folding stock trunoon on the pap. The M92 does have a virgin underfolder trunion , I just don't like underfolder.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
To get a left side folder done right by the time the costs are added up the arsenal is the best option. If you just want a blaster then go with Stormwerks like Strider has.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Wait a minute. I know I'm not as smart as the average Trump supporter but is that a tiny dig?

Lol I guess that sounds bad....sorry broseph. Those screw in hinges just make me nervous in case the Ko-reans attack.

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
Lol I guess that sounds bad....sorry broseph. Those screw in hinges just make me nervous in case the Ko-reans attack.
Brian did it. That thing's solid as a rock. Seriously the stock will break first. I can't imagine how hard you'd have to lean on it.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
M92s are not chrome lined, the m85s are. With 7.62 chrome lining isn't all that important as there isn't too much corrosive 7.62 floating around anymore. Where it 5.45 like min chrome lining is a necessity.

I know it's expensive, but if you want a solid folding stock then an Arsenal SLR107UR is the best bet. Chrome lined barrel and it's a left side folder. The folding trunions themselves are hard to find and not cheap.Dobbs defense can install a folding stock trunoon on the pap. The M92 does have a virgin underfolder trunion , I just don't like underfolder.
I appreciate the info BUT Dobbs wants $400 minimum for threading the barrel and another $400 minimum to install the folder. I went out to him Saturday with another project for him and he said he intentionally prices himself so high on AK stuff that no one will use him.

I decided against the prebuilt one with the fake can and now and kind of kicking myself a little. My reasoning was that the M92 is $499 at CGP and the pre built side folding one with the fake can was a thousand before shipping and tax. So I'd be getting a still NON bore concentric thread, a stock, and a fake can for five hundred more bucks.

I went ahead and picked up a manticore triangle stock and stormwerkz hinge like striders because fuck it. Also bought a 7" fake suppressor from ask builder and grinded the weird little thread protector thing off this weekend. Both these together were like $240 shipped. I plan to just spot weld it on and call it a 16"+ rifle while I wait on the stamp. Or maybe start my sbr project over with a different platform and call this one done before submitting the form 1.

Idk..... Im fucking kicking myself Bc I can't get the stock properly attached like a want.

Sent from your moms couch using her iPhone

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Oh and side note: Atlantic was sold out of the m92 with stock and fake can..... So that was stopping me too.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I appreciate the info BUT Dobbs wants $400 minimum for threading the barrel and another $400 minimum to install the folder. I went out to him Saturday with another project for him and he said he intentionally prices himself so high on AK stuff that no one will use him.

I decided against the prebuilt one with the fake can and now and kind of kicking myself a little. My reasoning was that the M92 is $499 at CGP and the pre built side folding one with the fake can was a thousand before shipping and tax. So I'd be getting a still NON bore concentric thread, a stock, and a fake can for five hundred more bucks.

I went ahead and picked up a manticore triangle stock and stormwerkz hinge like striders because fuck it. Also bought a 7" fake suppressor from ask builder and grinded the weird little thread protector thing off this weekend. Both these together were like $240 shipped. I plan to just spot weld it on and call it a 16"+ rifle while I wait on the stamp. Or maybe start my sbr project over with a different platform and call this one done before submitting the form 1.

Idk..... Im fucking kicking myself Bc I can't get the stock properly attached like a want.

Wow. That's surprising considering he's an AK fan.

Like I said...by the times it's done a SLR107UR is the cheapest option, just not cheap in general.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Wow. That's surprising considering he's an AK fan.

Like I said...by the times it's done a SLR107UR is the cheapest option, just not cheap in general.
yeah i was very disappointed to basically hear itd be $800+ just for machine work to do what I want.

Im not 100% sure where ill go with it now. But for the short term itll be a side folder with a fake can for about $250 less than the pre made one from Atlantic Firearms

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
yeah i was very disappointed to basically hear itd be $800+ just for machine work to do what I want.

Im not 100% sure where ill go with it now. But for the short term itll be a side folder with a fake can for about $250 less than the pre made one from Atlantic Firearms

Honestly if the picture you posted as being your end goal is exactly what you want most places will charge $350-500 to install that trunion and mill out the receiver. It would almost be easier to get a new receiver from NODAK...but finding the trunion will be the expensive bit.

have you looked at CNCWarrior's PAP packages? I think they are $749 and are setup pretty much how you want.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Honestly if the picture you posted as being your end goal is exactly what you want most places will charge $350-500 to install that trunion and mill out the receiver. It would almost be easier to get a new receiver from NODAK...but finding the trunion will be the expensive bit.

have you looked at CNCWarrior's PAP packages? I think they are $749 and are setup pretty much how you want.
They are installed similarly to the stormwerkz hinge I ordered so its about the same thing for the same price as mine but I am getting the stock I actually want. (I know theyre close but I dont like those tubular ones)

permaneo vox