Which to carry??

American Revival Apparel Company
M

mukwah

Had some thoughts last night while going over self defense and tactical move scenarios in my head as I often do. I was thinking that if I was to (God Forbid) ever have to use my firearm to defend myself or protect my loved ones or innocents what would happen to the firearm in the aftermath? I'm sure it would probably be confiscated or taken as evidence. My question was when would I get it back or would I ever get back? This makes me rethink what I carry and what I am willing to give up for who knows how long, or permently.
I have some friends in Law Enforcement that I would like to ask about this thext time I run into them.
What are some of your thoughts on this, or can anyone shed any light on this subject? :-\

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
mukwah said:
What are some of your thoughts on this, or can anyone shed any light on this subject? :-\
No doubt, if a pistol (or any other weapon) was used in a shooting and was available to the authorities it would be held as evidence. Around here, the legal owner of a legal-to-own weapon would ultimately get it back unless the owner was guilty of a crime with the weapon. Since the legal processes sometimes take months to get through the system, I wouldn't expect to see the weapon back for a while.

number2son

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
California
If it occurred in California your attorney would probably have to file some motion with the court to get it released. Regarding the cost of any weapon, my thought is that my life or that of my loved ones are more important than the cost of any weapon that served its purpose. It's a small price to pay. To put it in perspective, I have spent far more money on life insurance than I have ever paid for guns.

M

mukwah

number2son said:
If it occurred in California your attorney would probably have to file some motion with the court to get it released. Regarding the cost of any weapon, my thought is that my life or that of my loved ones are more important than the cost of any weapon that served its purpose. It's a small price to pay. To put it in perspective, I have spent far more money on life insurance than I have ever paid for guns.
This is true number2. My go to carry weapons are usually my LCP, LC9, or my LCR all of which I feel I can trust to do the job. With that being said, I don't think I would choose to carry a nice 1911 or Commander from my arsenal, if I had them, and risk them being held or never getting them back.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Interesting question. I would hate to lose any of my guns, but would feel worse about not using it in a shtf scenerio. I guess I'm just glad that I have a few that could carry daily now.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Muk, I think in your home state, if they feel the shooting was justiifed they give you a meal voucher and replace your spent ammo. :D

M

mukwah

bigdogdaddy said:
Muk, I think in your home state, if they feel the shooting was justiifed they give you a meal voucher and replace your spent ammo. :D
Proly right bdd, and clean it for you to!!! LOL

R

rayzer007

The possibility of losing the weapon for a period of time in the aftermath of a SD shooting is not a determining consideration for me regarding what gun to carry. I have all of them for the express purpose of carrying them, dependent on clothing/weather. They are all very utilitarian work tools - workhorses, if you will; no antiques/heirlooms/one of a kind types. I would never not carry one, to prevent the remote possibility of losing it after a SD incident. That, again, is what I have them for.
You do pose a valid thought though Muk!

Ray

M

mukwah

I have to agree with you Ray! What got me thinking about this is the thought of buying a hi end 1911. I guess that's why at this point I don't own anything that I would not hesitate to carry.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I fully agree with Ray. I wouldn't carry a family heirloom firearm, for example. Basically I'd choose between my LCP and my Glock 19 for carry while I have a bunch more that I probably wouldn't care to carry.

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
my thinking is it's best to carry the same as the police carry. The cops used to havve Glock 22s, so, my carry was a G 27. Now, they have G 21s, so I have a G 30 and 36. I know, i know it sounds dumb but the last thing you need post SD shooting is some lawyer pointing to the Zombie Max ammo in an exotic tactical carry set up.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
The reason cops carry Glocks is the department Buys the guns thy get the best price on. the reason clocks are so cheap to the departments is the get word out to make everyone think they're the best.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
RICHGCOOP said:
The reason cops carry Glocks is the department Buys the guns thy get the best price on. the reason clocks are so cheap to the departments is the get word out to make everyone think they're the best.

RICHGCOOP

+1 Agree, plus I am one prejudice son of a gun when it comes to the SR9c.

mayonardo

What Would Paladin Do?
If I buy a handgun, and it's not a target piece or something I'd only want to shoot at the range, I will carry it. I always have the LCP (I want a light gun for around the house carry) and will also carry the LC9 or SR9c, with and without the LCP. If I had an SR1911, I'd carry it too.

I'm really interested in a possible SR45c though.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
I'm looking at the XD 45 same gun height as the Ruger, 4 inch barrel, but 13+1. I better hurry up though.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Verticoli said:
lws, is that springer mag single stack?

The Springfield EMP that I am lusting for is a single stack. I believe the 9mm holds 9 rounds and the .40 holds 8. I believe theSpringfield XD compact model is also a single stack......I think.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Verticoli said:
lws, is that springer mag single stack?

I'm pretty sure it is a double stack. Especially, since the magazines hold 13 rounds.

I think Ruger is trying to position itself for a gun ban that would limit the number of rounds to 10 or less.