Whats up with all the "Boutique" guns?

Howard Law

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Has anyone else noticed a rise in the number companies and guns that are being sold at crazy prices since they have tons upon tons of unneeded machining?

I went to Sandy Springs Gun Club the other day where my friend works and he was showing me all the Nighthawk 1911's, Zevtech Glocks, Wilson Combat guns, etc...... and he was singing their praises and telling me how bad or unrefined the original versions of the guns were (he EDC's a Nighthawk normally). But I honestly don't see the value in many of those guns.

Are they built to tight tolerances? yes
Are their countless hours of machining in them? yes
Are they works of art? yes,

But

Are they ideal for EDC? No, their triggers are insanely light, tight tolerances, slides that are practically built to snag anything that touches it.

Are they good for competition? Generally no, maybe the exception of a zevtech glock,

They just seem like artwork, which is fine, but the idea that they are "better" just seems so flawed to me, because what are they really better at in a practical sense?

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Bro,

Do you even status?

I like drinking beer out of my yeti rambler while making California pizza kitchen pizza on my big Green egg while sitting on my yeti cooler jamming out to my beats headphones while open carrying my zev tech Glock next to my Microtech Combat Tradoon.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I agree. The only machining I would like is some front serrations and a spot for a RMR. All the other stuff just seems pointless

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Here's my boutique glock. Now smash that like button.

In all seriousness, the Dude who machined and cerakoted mine did it for just a little more than what most people charge to cerakote a slide. It looks neat, and adds some nice serrations but that's about it.

received_10155251317205715.jpeg

Reactions: Heat01

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Bro,

Do you even status?

I like drinking beer out of my yeti rambler while making California pizza kitchen pizza on my big Green egg while sitting on my yeti cooler jamming out to my beats headphones while open carrying my zev tech Glock next to my Microtech Combat Tradoon.
Bruh, do you even Poverty? 1488726425866-182646495.jpg

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code

In all seriousness, the Dude who machined and cerakoted mine did it for just a little more than what most people charge to cerakote a slide. It looks neat, and adds some nice serrations but that's about it.

View attachment 26351
Intentionally not mashing the "like" button....

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code

View attachment 26351
bruh, dafuq. It looks like you could remove the slide and use the muzzle end as a bottle opener...

Reactions: chance and Rwjeter

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
I really don't get why this would bother anyone. No matter what sector you look at, guns/cars/furniture/purses/briefcases etc, you can always spend considerably more money on something that performs a little bit better, has some more attention to details, etc. You may not see the value, but considering how these companies are still in business, many of them striving, the value is there. People bitching about the prices tend to be people that can't afford them, or simply aren't good enough to use them, and it bothers them that someone else may be able to afford them. I am usually part of both of those groups. Take scopes for example. Whats the purpose of a $2,500 Gen II Razor when you can still hit a deer at 200 yards with a $100 Nikon? Different end users and a different set of requirements by the end users.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I really don't get why this would bother anyone. No matter what sector you look at, guns/cars/furniture/purses/briefcases etc, you can always spend considerably more money on something that performs a little bit better, has some more attention to details, etc. You may not see the value, but considering how these companies are still in business, many of them striving, the value is there. People bitching about the prices tend to be people that can't afford them, or simply aren't good enough to use them, and it bothers them that someone else may be able to afford them. I am usually part of both of those groups. Take scopes for example. Whats the purpose of a $2,500 Gen II Razor when you can still hit a deer at 200 yards with a $100 Nikon? Different end users and a different set of requirements by the end users.
It doesn't bother me, but many of these highly modified guns (think agency arms) don't function better enough to justify the cost and a lot of the custom work doesn't change function.

By all means people can buy what they want, but spending $1700 on a Glock is kinda stupid in my mind.

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
It doesn't bother me, but many of these highly modified guns (think agency arms) don't function better enough to justify the cost and a lot of the custom work doesn't change function.

By all means people can buy what they want, but spending $1700 on a Glock is kinda stupid in my mind.
1700 is way shy of Tier 1 status at agency bro.

I just dont see the value in it. Ive seen how some of the pistol smiths build 1911's. 80+ hours in a single pistol. Everything is inspected and hand fit. Everything is manually machined. While it may not perform 5 times better than a $1000 1911, I can easily see why it costs $5000.

I just dont see how the custom glocks are bringing 2 and 3 grand. Theres just not that much going into them. But I guess thats why Agency can afford to rent out a range and blow tens of thousands of rounds with an MG134 every year at shot show lol

Reactions: AtlMedic