Whats up with all the "Boutique" guns?

American Revival Apparel Company

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
I really don't get why this would bother anyone. No matter what sector you look at, guns/cars/furniture/purses/briefcases etc, you can always spend considerably more money on something that performs a little bit better, has some more attention to details, etc. You may not see the value, but considering how these companies are still in business, many of them striving, the value is there. People bitching about the prices tend to be people that can't afford them, or simply aren't good enough to use them, and it bothers them that someone else may be able to afford them. I am usually part of both of those groups. Take scopes for example. Whats the purpose of a $2,500 Gen II Razor when you can still hit a deer at 200 yards with a $100 Nikon? Different end users and a different set of requirements by the end users.

You use a scope?

cbh13

Millennial Supreme
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Auburn
Zip code
I really don't get why this would bother anyone. No matter what sector you look at, guns/cars/furniture/purses/briefcases etc, you can always spend considerably more money on something that performs a little bit better, has some more attention to details, etc. You may not see the value, but considering how these companies are still in business, many of them striving, the value is there. People bitching about the prices tend to be people that can't afford them, or simply aren't good enough to use them, and it bothers them that someone else may be able to afford them. I am usually part of both of those groups. Take scopes for example. Whats the purpose of a $2,500 Gen II Razor when you can still hit a deer at 200 yards with a $100 Nikon? Different end users and a different set of requirements by the end users.

yes but there are also those that spend countless amounts modifying a weapon thinking it will give them the "edge". I cant even count how many zev or whatever modified glocks and other pistols I've beaten with just a stock one. There are too many folks out there now that think "if I drop in a 300 dollar trigger then i'll shoot awesome!" except its been shown countless times if you really want to shoot better then spend all of that extra money on ammo and range time. that's the same reason 95% of these "boutique" guns get sold with almost no rounds down the chamber. They built it up to be the ultimate shooter and then realized they still couldn't shoot it worth shit. Yes folks spend money modifying all sorts of stuff but most gun modifications are honestly just like swapping in a badass exhaust on your car. will it make it run better? sure to some small extent but we all know the real reason for it is to sound loud and draw attention.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I could see the expense for a full out race gun. Any owner could spend extra hours completing their own mods. Maybe not as much as experienced gunsmiths. Who hasn't polished some component with the intention to slick it up a little? Completed a trigger undercut? Installed ambidextrous components?

There are instructions for tightening up a slide to receiver fit for 1911s that can be done with basic components. How many people deck out an AR and it suddenly is worth 2 or 3 times original value?

The key to the high end firearms mentioned in the OP is that the company spends extra hours on the particular firearm. Yes some of works of art. The flip side is that it means they will be more reliable as the "roughness" is worked out as compared to a standard production unit. I am sure that even the critics of these prices have spent extra when it comes to safety and reliability for any item.

That all being said, it doesn't do any good to spend that amount of money on a firearm and then run shit ammo through it!

For an EDC gun, maybe. I wouldn't spend that kind of money.

Reactions: ReservoirDawg10

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
yes but there are also those that spend countless amounts modifying a weapon thinking it will give them the "edge". I cant even count how many zev or whatever modified glocks and other pistols I've beaten with just a stock one. There are too many folks out there now that think "if I drop in a 300 dollar trigger then i'll shoot awesome!" except its been shown countless times if you really want to shoot better then spend all of that extra money on ammo and range time. that's the same reason 95% of these "boutique" guns get sold with almost no rounds down the chamber. They built it up to be the ultimate shooter and then realized they still couldn't shoot it worth shit. Yes folks spend money modifying all sorts of stuff but most gun modifications are honestly just like swapping in a badass exhaust on your car. will it make it run better? sure to some small extent but we all know the real reason for it is to sound loud and draw attention.

Very true. There is a point where you need to know your limits. Personally, I'm not a good enough shooter to warrant something like a full *insert custom gun maker her* race gun. I still need trigger time. But those are a number of people that can and do benefit from slightly lower splits. Hell, their winnings easily justify the gun's extra cost.

Reactions: Heat01

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
1700 is way shy of Tier 1 status at agency bro.

I just dont see the value in it. Ive seen how some of the pistol smiths build 1911's. 80+ hours in a single pistol. Everything is inspected and hand fit. Everything is manually machined. While it may not perform 5 times better than a $1000 1911, I can easily see why it costs $5000.

I just dont see how the custom glocks are bringing 2 and 3 grand. Theres just not that much going into them. But I guess thats why Agency can afford to rent out a range and blow tens of thousands of rounds with an MG134 every year at shot show lol

Damascus 1911... drool!!

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
You use a scope?

Yup, and I know that I'm not good enough to justify the step from a $1000 scope to a $3,500+ S&B, NF Beast, whathaveyou. I see clearly enough at the distances I shoot to make solid hits and tracking is spot. I'm good with that. Would a like a Beast? Absolutely. Are my skills and shooting requirements justification for the money? No, at least for me at this time. But with that said, there is no way in hell that I could go out and quickly engage plates at various distances with that $100 nikon.

Reactions: erkinator 2

Kobayashi

Frontiersman
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
Here's my boutique glock. Now smash that like button.

In all seriousness, the Dude who machined and cerakoted mine did it for just a little more than what most people charge to cerakote a slide. It looks neat, and adds some nice serrations but that's about it.

View attachment 26351
I saw this mentioned in a different thread. Who's the guy that did the work?

Reactions: chance

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I remember him saying it was Loki Tactical. In Florida I believe. I remember there was two Loki's and one kept getting calls about the others stuff. Lol

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Loki tactical in Fl. He doesnt have a website, but you can contact him through instagram or facebook.
The machinework is pretty nice, definitely an attention grabber. And thats exactly why i got it done lol. It will be great for pictures and demos when we develop a 45 can

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
Bro,

Do you even status?

I like drinking beer out of my yeti rambler while making California pizza kitchen pizza on my big Green egg while sitting on my yeti cooler jamming out to my beats headphones while open carrying my zev tech Glock next to my Microtech Combat Tradoon.

Too funny, but the green egg is worth the money. I love mine...so I guess I should start buying Zevs and Nighthawks.