American Revival Apparel Company

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
So I've been REALLY wanting to go trout fishing but I have never been. I've deep sea fished many times, and I grew up fishing for Crappie, Bluegill, Rock Bass, Large and Small Mouthed Bass, and Catfish in ponds and lakes all my life...however I've never streamed fish and would love to learn how to Trout fish.

Is it difficult to learn?

Is there a barrier to entry for getting into Trout fishing? Cost of equipment, skill level, etc.

What are the best tips to become a proficient Trout angler?

Reactions: sam

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
My brother in law guides trout trips on the hootch in a drift boat. Hit me up if you want me to get you in touch with him.

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
My brother in law guides trout trips on the hootch in a drift boat. Hit me up if you want me to get you in touch with him.

Definitely... in fact, he or you could even list him in the Business Directory if you'd like. Shoot me a PM with his details when you get a chance.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
So I've been REALLY wanting to go trout fishing but I have never been. I've deep sea fished many times, and I grew up fishing for Crappie, Bluegill, Rock Bass, Large and Small Mouthed Bass, and Catfish in ponds and lakes all my life...however I've never streamed fish and would love to learn how to Trout fish.

Is it difficult to learn?

Is there a barrier to entry for getting into Trout fishing? Cost of equipment, skill level, etc.

What are the best tips to become a proficient Trout angler?
Fly tackle or spinning gear?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I dont know? I'm not sure which is better, easier, more / less expensive, etc.
You can use the same set up as you would for crappie or bream.

Using regular old spinning tackle will definitely be easier and less expensive. There are stretches of trout streams around the country that require the use of fly tackle, but I don't think that's the case in GA anywhere (could be wrong).

My 2 favorite rigs are a 5' and 5'5" St. Croix Avid in Ultra Light action. I matched that up with some 4# Suffix line and a couple decent little Shimano spinning reels. I love small black and yellow panther martin in-line spinners.

I just pulled out another favorite. A 6.5 foot St. Croix Avid in Light action....super sweet trout rig.

I really like the 5 footer for crawling along banks in heavy cover. It's short enough that you can flip and sidearm little lures under hanging branches and heavy cover. If you'll be wading or fishing from a boat, a 5.5-6.5 footer would be a little better bet as you'll be able to cast those little lures a bit farther.

Always cast across and or downstream, never upstream.

The Panther Martin spinners are great because they will spin at a slower retrieve than Mepps in my experience.

This little beat up Panther Martin has caught more trout in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and GA than I can remember.

IMG_1454.JPG

Last edited:

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
To do some bank fishing for catfish.

Any ideas? I'm not going somewhere where I have to pay either, I'm just looking for somewhere pretty close to the city to sit on a riverbank and have a shot at some cats.

Thanks!

Reactions: sam