What to look for in a kydex holster for dummies

GA Firing Line

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I was inspired to do this from a couple other threads as well as questions I get all the time. I made holsters for a decent while and while I didn't make top tier shit due to not having top tier equipment, I do understand all the details that go into making a good or bad kydex holster. If you bought anything I made that isn’t PERFECT I will make it right to this day. I’ll stand by that.

These are the things you should look for IMO​

Kydex that is sunken into the ejection port​

This is no bueno. This is typically found in shitty holsters made by someone that does not understand where the retention of a holster should come from. Retention on a non light bearing holster should come from the trigger guard and retention on a light bearing should come from the light. Retention should NEVER come from the ejection port for Christ's sake. No excuses. Any respectable company has a proper mold that has the ejection port filled entirely in OR they have proper standoffs that keep the kydex from sinking in there.
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 2.42.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 2.54.03 PM.png

Kydex that is formed around parts of the gun that stick out​

Very similar to the above point, but these points should have standoffs on the mold or gun in order to NOT snag on them. These should NOT be points of retention. In the pics below you can see what this looks like IRL. These should be one clear clean channel for those three things to slide into completely unobstructed. They should not be touching kydex.
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 2.43.06 PM.png

Here is another example where the kydex is sucking into frame rails. You do NOT want this.
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.49.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.54.53 PM.png
Pics of what I mean here between a mold with this standoff as well as some random standoffs I have used in the past when using the actual gun to make a holster.

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 2.51.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 2.51.16 PM.png

Kydex thickness​

ALWAYS pay attention to the thickness of the kydex used. .06” is garbage and should not ever be used for a gun holster, .08” is the industry standard and is used for most good IWB and there are no real issues with it other than you may not get years and years out of heavy use, .093” is pretty heavy duty and typically is used for heavier duty OWB type holsters, and .125” is not very common at all. The thing to note here is that the thinner it is the more prone to cracking it is but the more flexible and comfortable it will be as well as the better the retention click will typically feel and sound. The thicker the kydex the more durable but you get less flex and the retention feel and sound is not as tactile.

Belt height​

This is a big one for me. It pisses me off constantly. I have spent up to about $130 on a holster before and received a pile of garbage over this shit. Your fingers MUST be able to fit between the top of your belt and the finger groove side of the frame! Look at where the top of the belt clips are in comparison to the finger grove side of the frame. Is there about an half inch or so? GOOD. If there is less, BAD.

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.01.36 PM.png
Notice how you cannot fit your fingers inbetween here to grab the gun... "Deep conceal" anything is retarded. Coincidence here is that TXC is the brand I bought that came like this and it's also the first pic I could find online of this issue lol. I'm sure they're good guys but they're shipping shit out that isn't usable without moving the clips down when even possible. Also my sidecar from them had another issue I will cover below.
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.06.09 PM.png

Holsters that have adjustable retention using the same bolts as the belt clip or wing.​

This is a fundamental issue in that the adjustable part is meant to NOT be tight AF while the belt clip SHOULD be tight AF. You want good retention yet stationary belt clips meaning:
  • A fairly loose retention screw to your liking (the one with the little rubber bushing between the pieces of kydex) with loctite.
  • Gun can go in and come out smoothly.
  • All belt clips are so tight and loctited that they do NOT move at all.
You cant do both at the same time. Examples below of what I look for. Coincidentally the TXC is the bad example again lol. In this pic you can see these two bolts serve both purposes, retention and holding on the belt clip, which is bad. If your retention is good then your clip is loose, if your clip is tight then your retention is way too tight.
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.18.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.27.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.50.47 PM.png

This one shouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker BUT know that to more shit you shove onto a holster using the bolts that are used for retention, the more shit you are going to have wobbling around and not steady.

Brands that offer top tier kydex holsters (this will grow as I can remember more)​

G-Code
Tier1 Concealed

I will add to this if I can think of anything else. In the meantime, feel free to ask questions.

Last edited:

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Just saw this on an IG ad. Prime example of a holster that sits so low you can’t get the gun out quickly and reliably. Is it comfortable? Hell yeah. Is it functional? Fuck no.

C5C66DF3-E5F9-466C-BF44-18C35FA9A5B8.jpeg

Bigigloopt2

Meme boojahideen
Kalash Klub
Oct 31, 2019
Earth
I was inspired to do this from a couple other threads as well as questions I get all the time. I made holsters for a decent while and while I didn't make top tier shit due to not having top tier equipment, I understand all the details that go into making a good or bad kydex holster.

These are the things you should look for IMO​

Kydex that is sunken into the ejection port​

This is no bueno. This is typically found in shitty holsters made by someone that does not understand where the retention of a holster should come from. Retention on a non light bearing holster should come from the trigger guard and retention on a light bearing should come from the light. Retention should NEVER come from the ejection port for Christ's sake. No excuses. Any respectable company has a proper mold that has the ejection port filled entirely in OR they have proper standoffs that keep the kydex from sinking in there.
View attachment 117693
View attachment 117697

Kydex that is formed around parts of the gun that stick out​

Very similar to the above point, but these points should have standoffs on the mold or gun in order to NOT snag on them. These should NOT be points of retention. In the pics below you can see what this looks like IRL. These should be one clear clean channel for those three things to slide into completely unobstructed. They should not be touching kydex.
View attachment 117694

Here is another example where the kydex is sucking into frame rails. You do NOT want this.
View attachment 117705

View attachment 117707
Pics of what I mean here between a mold with this standoff as well as some random standoffs I have used in the past when using the actual gun to make a holster.

View attachment 117695
View attachment 117696

Kydex thickness​

ALWAYS pay attention to the thickness of the kydex used. .06” is garbage and should not ever be used for a gun holster, .08” is the industry standard and is used for most good IWB and there are no real issues with it other than you may not get years and years out of heavy use, .093” is pretty heavy duty and typically is used for heavier duty OWB type holsters, and .125” is not very common at all. The thing to note here is that the thinner it is the more prone to cracking it is but the more flexible and comfortable it will be as well as the better the retention click will typically feel and sound. The thicker the kydex the more durable but you get less flex and the retention feel and sound is not as tactile.

Belt height​

This is a big one for me. It pisses me off constantly. I have spent up to about $130 on a holster before and received a pile of garbage over this shit. Your fingers MUST be able to fit between the top of your belt and the finger groove side of the frame! Look at where the top of the belt clips are in comparison to the finger grove side of the frame. Is there about an half inch or so? GOOD. If there is less, BAD.

View attachment 117699
Notice how you cannot fit your fingers inbetween here to grab the gun... "Deep conceal" anything is retarded. Coincidence here is that TXC is the brand I bought that came like this and it's also the first pic I could find online of this issue lol. I'm sure they're good guys but they're shipping shit out that isn't usable without moving the clips down when even possible. Also my sidecar from them had another issue I will cover below.
View attachment 117698

Holsters that have adjustable retention using the same bolts as the belt clip or wing.​

This is a fundamental issue in that the adjustable part is meant to NOT be tight AF while the belt clip SHOULD be tight AF. You want good retention yet stationary belt clips meaning:
  • A fairly loose retention screw to your liking (the one with the little rubber bushing between the pieces of kydex) with loctite.
  • Gun can go in and come out smoothly.
  • All belt clips are so tight and loctited that they do NOT move at all.
You cant do both at the same time. Examples below of what I look for. Coincidentally the TXC is the bad example again lol. In this pic you can see these two bolts serve both purposes, retention and holding on the belt clip, which is bad. If your retention is good then your clip is loose, if your clip is tight then your retention is way too tight.
View attachment 117700
View attachment 117702
View attachment 117706

This one shouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker BUT know that to more shit you shove onto a holster using the bolts that are used for retention, the more shit you are going to have wobbling around and not steady.

Brands that offer top tier kydex holsters (this will grow as I can remember more)​

G-Code
Tier1 Concealed

I will add to this if I can think of anything else. In the meantime, feel free to ask questions.
My hero

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I got one from we the people holsters. Screw fell out the first time I took it in the woods. I still haven't fixed it or worn it since then. Wish I knew someone I could trust to make one or 2. Wink emoji if I had it on my phone.
I know I wish I made them still but without badass equipment it took far too much effort and they still weren’t nearly where I’d like them to be.

Reactions: dial1911

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I know I wish I made them still but without badass equipment it took far too much effort and they still weren’t nearly where I’d like them to be.
What kind of equipment? Like vacuum forming or something? I‘ve only read a few tutorials On Kydex holsters, and I’m sure they’re cases of “bad“ form.

Reactions: Leshaire

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
What kind of equipment? Like vacuum forming or something? I‘ve only read a few tutorials On Kydex holsters, and I’m sure they’re cases of “bad“ form.
I needed better (and more variety) cutting tools, a proper kydex heater, a vacuum press, as well as a LOT more gun molds and standoffs. That shit is expensive as fuck though and everybody wants to pay Ebay prices lol.