What is the best way to train for one handed shooting?

American Revival Apparel Company

Steve0

Scout
Dec 9, 2016
I was just thinking to myself while at the range today, what if I had to shoot one handed. I probably wouldn't be able to hit anything or even come close enough to scare someone to retreat. So then does any one have some tips or pointers for one handed shooter training?

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
The best answer is to practice practice practice. One handed shooting, including slide manipulation and reloads, should be a regular part of the training of any person who carries a gun for defense. There are a lot of useful, and not so useful, tips out there if you look. But something that works for someone else might not work for you. So research and find some good tips, then hit the range, find what works for you, and practice practice practice. 

When you asked the question I had just seen this episode of Guns and Gear and immediately thought of it. It's a good place to start your search for tips. Then build your skills from there.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/tjduMQeI4lI?feature=oembed

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
To echo above, practice, practice, and practice some more.  I would also suggest getting some quality training if and instruction if possible.  There are a lot of details that go into good one handed shooting and hand switching.  The video above is a good starting point and Chris Cerino knows his stuff.