What are you planning on acquiring in the next 12 months?

American Revival Apparel Company

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
lws380 said:
Just made a down payment on this puppy. Should have towards the end of the year or early next year.

At first that looked like a milling machine but now I'm very curious to learn about what it really is.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
It is a 10 ton clicker. It is used to cut patterns from leather. The bottom table has a thick poly board on it. Lay your leather on the table. Then place a die (that is the pattern of what you want to cut) made of steel on the leather. Grab the two post on top and hit the bottom. Top table comes down on the die and cuts the pattern in about 1 second or so. It is a time saver from hand cutting patterns and safer than cutting patterns by hand. I will get several dies made for some of my more popular gun models. But I also want to get dies made for cutting out my pattern for the Concealed Caddy™. I think they told me it weighs about 1500 pounds +/-. It is about 5 ft tall over all and uses hydraulic oil to get the amount of pressure it needs. I'm going to have to run another 220 line in my shop to run the thing. $3400 delivered from CA.

Here is a short video of a clicker is use and how they make clicker dies. Notice the top head swings allowing you to get to the work easier.
Clicking Services and Dies by Weaver Leather

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I get the impression that you can double or triple your output when making quantities of the same pieces. That's a nice machine.

Will you be able to make your own dies for simpler parts?

How many pieces would you have to make with a die to pay for a die made by the manufacturer with saved time?

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
SkipD said:
I get the impression that you can double or triple your output when making quantities of the same pieces. That's a nice machine.

Will you be able to make your own dies for simpler parts?

How many pieces would you have to make with a die to pay for a die made by the manufacturer with saved time?

Skip,

I'm not sure it would double or triple my out put, but it would help with my output for sure. For instance, I make a lot of Ruger LCP holsters and have a pattern for that gun. Same pattern used for standard gun, LaserMax, and Crimson Trace (just use different molds). So I could take a hide and stamp out 40-50 of them pretty quickly.

I will not make my own dies. Several people make them and that is their only business so they are very good at their work. Plus you need special tools and machines to make bends, curves, angles and such like you see in the video. This machine is kind of a nice to have for me. I do not have to have it. But as I get busier, anything I can do to save time is good. If I ever decide to hire help (and I do not want to do that), it would be a good machine to have. I would have to make a lot of pieces to pay for a clicker and the dies. If I looked at it that way, I'd probably not get it. On the other hand I'm in a very good position in that I do not need income from holster making, but I love making this stuff. So I can put more money into getting machines that make it easier to make leather products. There are several good machines to have in a leather shop, and I'm slowly adding the machines as I can. Some other things on my list are a strap cutter, leather splitter, and another leather sewing machine for thinner stuff/products.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
My wife has been wanting a little .22 pistol. Since the arthritis in her shoulders stops her from racking a slide and not wanting a revolver This past Wednesday I ordered her the Taurus PT22 it has the flip up barrell, blinged it out a little for her with the gold hardware and pearl grips I just hope it comes in before Christmas.

PT22.jpg

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
bigdogdaddy said:
I did not know that Taurus made a flip up barrel handgun. I bet that is a good bit less money than the Barettas with the tip up barrel.

They run MSRP $219.00 but with the gold trim package it's $239.00. I was thinking about the Baretta she handled both and like the Taurus. This is the deciding gun that will determine if she will shoot it a few times and let it sit or start wanting to go to the range more with me. So I got what felt good to her grip in hopes she starts getting into shooting then maybe work up from there. Liking the feel and looks is what I am interested for her at this point. Getting her to want one was a huge step, but thanks to the rising crime in my area she is now interested. I do like the looks of this gun and Taurus has been been doing good latley. I think it's a good starter pistol for her. I will post a range report when it comes in.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Everytime I look at this little Taurus my mind wanders off and says maybe it's time to start looking at the SR1911 seeing that my attemps to get a 9mm carbine has failed, those thing are almost impossible to get around here. Then again so are the SR1911's. Anyways got $200.00 in the kitty so I have time.