Vortex Red Dots

GA Firing Line

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
So, I think for my SET AR9 build I'm going to go with a red dot. I have Vortex optics on a couple of other rifles and believe that's who I'm leaning with for a red dot.

Now, I have only shot one rifle with a red dot, a S&W 15-22 and couldn't tell you what it was, I just thought it was neat. Beyond that I am not aware of much with one.

-What are your experience with Vortex Red Dots?
-If not Vortex, what are some features to look for in a good red dot?

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
For a 9mm rifle, the Vortex Strike Fire might be a little pricey. I've never tried to fire a 9mm at any sort of distance, so I'm not sure of the practical range... I think the holosun optic might be a practical entry level optic for that build.

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I really like red dots. They allow for easy aiming from point blank, out to 100 with ease. Man sized targets are even easy to see and hit at 200.

The vortex dots kind of have a shimmering effect to my eye. Other people dont seem to notice it. But Vortex, Holosun and primary arms make reliable budget friendly red dots. Holosun has a nice auto on/off feature on several models too

Reactions: SouthernSlammed

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I've used the Aimpoint, EOtech, and Vortex but I can't seem to get one on a rifle that works with my eyes well enough to keep it. Maybe the Vortex SPARC or Holosun would be good for ya. If you're not in a hurry you can find a good deal on them at PA or Jet or Optics Planet or PSA.

Allsmiles

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
Check out the Vortex Spitfire 1x. That's what I'm using on my AR9 and everyone raves about how unfair it is. Etched reticle with 2 rings and a center dot. Can go red and it looks like stove eye or green. A little pricey; but it doesn't require a battery to work with the etched reticle.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
For budget optics, the Vortex Strikefire and Sparc are great. Also look at Holoson if you like the EOTech style circle dot. I also like all the newer Sig optics I've had. The Romeo lines look promising.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
@SouthernSlammed Cabelas has them on sale for $150. Looks like the 1x model has been discontinued and they're trying to get rid of their stock.... Good news if you have $150. Bad news if you're broke. Lol. I'm the latter.