Top Tier ARs - How Do You Rank Them

Howard Law

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
I hate the terms "top tier" and "top shelf" but I couldn't think of a better word. How would rank AR-15 manufacturers?

Add or rearrange.

Top:
LaRue
LMT
DD

Mid:
Colt
S&W
Stag
RRA

Low:
PSA
Del-ton
DPMS

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I hate the terms "top tier" and "top shelf" but I couldn't think of a better word. How would rank AR-15 manufacturers?

Add or rearrange.

Top:
LaRue
LMT
DD

Mid:
Colt
S&W
Stag
RRA

Low:
PSA
Del-ton
DPMS

If I had to rearrange...

Screw Larue
LMT is at the low end of the upper tier

RRA doesn't deserve to be considered Mid. They're on the same level as dpms, et al.

PSA Premium and HF guns are probably the top end of the middle. Certainly better than RRA and on par with the better S&W guns, but still not a Colt. PTAC is bottom.

Reactions: DoglegArms

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
If I had to rearrange...

Screw Larue

RRA doesn't deserve to be considered Mid. They're on the same level as dpms, et al.

PSA Premium and HF guns are probably the top end of the middle. Certainly better than RRA and on par with the better S&W guns, but still not a Colt. PTAC is bottom.

Never shot a LaRue.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
RRA doesn't deserve to be considered Mid. They're on the same level as dpms, et al

Older RRA's are a lot better than the newer ones. After Sandy Hook their QC went down the drain. I have an older RRA that has never given me even the slightest problem. I shoot mostly steel out of it too, and rarely clean or lube it.

Reactions: Strider12

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
If I had to rearrange...

Screw Larue

PTAC may not be as high of quality but it damn sure fired every round the wife put through it this past weekend.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
PTAC may not be as high of quality but it damn sure fired every round the wife put through it this past weekend.
Understood. And I'm not surprised. But strictly from a component standpoint, the PTAC line is sub par, compared to others. I'm not saying they are the worst ever produced, at all. Just that, if you're going to split them into "tiers", component quality, assembly, QC, etc, all come into play.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Older RRA's are a lot better than the newer ones. After Sandy Hook their QC went down the drain. I have an older RRA that has never given me even the slightest problem. I shoot mostly steel out of it too, and rarely clean or lube it.
Meh. Older RRAs had plenty of issues too. They've always been overpriced for what they are.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Meh. Older RRAs had plenty of issues too. They've always been overpriced for what they are.

My first AR was built from parts using a little unknown manufacturers lower called Rock River Arms. At the time they were the cheapest thing going. Funny what one government contract does for a company.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
My first AR was built from parts using a little unknown manufacturers lower called Rock River Arms. At the time they were the cheapest thing going. Funny what one government contract does for a company.
Yep. And they rode that horse into the ground. Even though the guns proved to be a miserable failure for the Agency that purchased them. There's a reason they lost that contract. Today, they're basically building the same guns they made in 2004. I'm quite frankly surprised that they've survived.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Yep. And they rode that horse into the ground. Even though the guns proved to be a miserable failure for the Agency that purchased them. There's a reason they lost that contract. Today, they're basically building the same guns they made in 2004. I'm quite frankly surprised that they've survived.

I still miss that gun though. It was all colt except for the lower. The lower was three digit and was one of the first 1000 they made. It didn't have a logo or anything on it, just the words "Rock River Arms." I sold that gun long ago but have since been on the lookout for one of those old logo free lowers.

Reactions: DarthVader

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
I have colts and bushmasters

prefer the colts due to they will hold their value over the bushmasters

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I own 5 ARs. All 5 are NFA SBRs. Not one of them is a factory rifle and have all been built with the parts I want.

The lowers are.

Bushmaster
Colt
PSA
DPMS
S&W

To me the lower is just a lower. I care about barrel, bolt, and FCG, but beyond those three parts, the rest is just parts to me. As long as they are in spec, I will use them.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I've never owned a factory AR and the only one that I've ever had a problem with was the first one I built. It would FTF consistently. I learned that gun inside and out trying to figure out what the hell was wrong. That's what got me on the forums. That's essentially why I'm here and that's why I've never had a problem with another AR build. I love that gun because of it.

Unless I just stumble upon a deal too good to pass up, I doubt I'll ever own a factory build.