Too much ammo?

GA Firing Line

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Yeah yeah yeah, I know I'm going to hear.."you can never have too much ammo". Can you though? If I had to leave the house (last option) for some sort of natural disaster, zombies, etc I couldn't bring it all along. I have pets, people, food, fuel, water...at some point I'd have to draw the line.

How much is too much in a variety of situations?

Ideas?

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Yeah yeah yeah, I know I'm going to hear.."you can never have too much ammo". Can you though? If I had to leave the house (last option) for some sort of natural disaster, zombies, etc I couldn't bring it all along. I have pets, people, food, fuel, water...at some point I'd have to draw the line.

How much is too much in a variety of situations?

Ideas?

I've often wondered this myself. I have several tins of 7n6 stashed away...I have often wondered how much is enough and if I should sell a couple to buy more food. Realistically, if two tins of 7n6 and 10 mags loaded between the wife and I can't get us out of any situation we'd get into if we had to bug out I don't imagine we'd survive anyway.

Reactions: sam

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
In a real shtf situation, ammo will be extremeyl valuable and could serve as currency to get you many other things.
Yeah, I'm not doing business with lawless bandits (aka every left alive in such a situation). I can't envision a scenario where that would be less dangerous than doing without.

Reactions: Shemp

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I've often wondered this myself. I have several tins of 7n6 stashed away...I have often wondered how much is enough and if I should sell a couple to buy more food. Realistically, if two tins of 7n6 and 10 mags loaded between the wife and I can't get us out of any situation we'd get into if we had to bug out I don't imagine we'd survive anyway.
I have an ammo can that has a variety of ammo, most loaded into mags for .223, 9mm, and .380. That's all I'd grab.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
The main reason I have what I currently have on hand was purely a financial decision. I enjoy shooting, the ammo market is subject to huge swings in price due to consumer sentiment, when it's really cheap I buy a bunch. Going on the road with huge quantities just doesn't seem practical though. There are too many other things that will prove equally important, in larger quantities. Water being one.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I have an ammo can that has a variety of ammo, most loaded into mags for .223, 9mm, and .380. That's all I'd grab.

I keep thinking 5k is enough even for bugging in. Realistically if you go through 5k of rifle ammo and make it out alive then you will have figured out how to get more.

I haven't done it yet but I like the idea of a backpack for the wife and I...a tin of 7n6 in each along with 3 day supply of essentials...then a roller bad with some more pistol ammo/mags and the rest of our supplies.

I'm torn on whether two tins is necessary...it probably isn't.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I'm buying a case of .223 each month.

When Hillary gets elected I may or may not think about getting out of .223.

I'm a big fan of the 5.45x39 anyway.

Double like

jloneill17

Hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Canon, GA
Zip code
obviously you can only carry as much as your wife's back will allow. if you are walking. LOL
Seriously, if you are walking, I'm thinking a couple hundred for each weapon, but then you can carry only so many weapons.
if you're bugging out in your vehicle, then I guess as much room as you have in the truck/car
I would trade ammo out, but only small amounts. if a guy wanted some ammo to hunt and was willing to give me water or whatever I needed, I'd trade 4-5 rounds. I'm not trading anyone enough to come back later and put up a fight, to hell with that

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Trading ammo to rival groups, and anyone not in yours is a rival group, is problematic to say the least.
That's easy to say now, your family isn't hungry at the moment, or in desperate need of medical care that is inaccessible. You don't imagine that there may be a doctor who didn't have the foresight to stockpile ammo and just wants to keep his family safe too? Or some other similar scenario. I think once the panic settles and people are just trying to get by, business will be done on the barter system and ammo will be good currency.

Reactions: Mac11FA

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I keep thinking 5k is enough even for bugging in. Realistically if you go through 5k of rifle ammo and make it out alive then you will have figured out how to get more.

I haven't done it yet but I like the idea of a backpack for the wife and I...a tin of 7n6 in each along with 3 day supply of essentials...then a roller bad with some more pistol ammo/mags and the rest of our supplies.

I'm torn on whether two tins is necessary...it probably isn't.
In all but the most extreme instances I think 100 rounds is more than enough. If you're constantly dumping mags at home, it's time to find somewhere else to hole up.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
In all but the most extreme instances I think 100 rounds is more than enough. If you're constantly dumping mags at home, it's time to find somewhere else to hole up.

Desperation makes many enemies...but you're right. I'd say more along the lines of 500 but still.

Reactions: Laufen

jloneill17

Hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Canon, GA
Zip code

I agree. I'm not wanting my place to turn into the next Fallujah. screw that. I quit buying guns for a while and concentrated on ammo. I have a pretty good amount. I've just told my friends to not show up at my place empty handed.... they might taste good.