Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Thinking about an AR

R

rayzer007

Indigowolf said:
rayzer007 said:
Oh my; how are you ever going to decide between those great choices Wolfie? :-\
Ray
I guess I'll see which bug bites me first. I'm doing a lot of reading.

Excellent, a man after my own heart. I always insist on a thorough study before a major purchase - no regrets that way!

Ray

yz9890

Frontiersman
Trigger_1 said:
yz9890......Ahhhhh....Looks great.....Hope you got a nice bedspread for it..... ;) ;) ;)

thx. I like the old school A2 butt stock on your Stag.

Do you know if the twist rate is important or not for the average civilian AR shooter? do you need a tighter twist to shoot the heavier bullets or is the difference minor enough that most would never notice?

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Trigger_1 said:
yz9890......Ahhhhh....Looks great.....Hope you got a nice bedspread for it..... ;) ;) ;)
Okay Trig...you and I BOTH know what you are talking about! Too dang funny man! YZ has a good question about the barreling twists...Any one?!

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Basically if you want the rifle to be accurate put a fast Twist to stabilizer the bullet.
If you want the bullet to keyhole and tear up the target put a slow twist on it to give it a lot of Yale.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

Fred_Import

Woodsman
Trigger_1 said:
Fred...... :p

Here is a pic of my Stag Arms AR-15 Left handed model......
I got it in 2006.....It has never let me down yet.....
I have a leupold 6.5 x 20 and a Eotech 512 that I switch out often.....

AR15_SR_010.jpg

That is a beautiful gun! Thanks for sharing.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
yz9890...I have a 20" Chrome Moly 1/9 Twist barrel.....I prefer to shoot 55 or 62 grain bullets.... :D

Here are a couple of articles that may help you decide what twist rate you want..... :p

You can shoot heavier bullets with a 1/7 twist...Some prefer it for sniping long distance..

Some claim that the 1/7 tends to cause wear issues faster because of higher pressures so the 1/9 is more of a compromise....

http://mscg.yuku.com/topic/1409/AR15-barrel-twist-rates-which-is-best

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=2625

PS....I like the Old School buttstock....It works good on buttheads when you run out of ammo..... :p

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
An AR has been on my to-buy list for a while. Recently I stumbled across the Colt LE6920 for under $1000 shipped to my FFL. Today I couldn't pass it up any longer and pulled the trigger on it. Hopefully it will ship tomorrow and my FFL will have it next week. The LE6920MP is very nice if you can find it in stock somewhere at a reasonable price. It has all of the Magpul upgrades installed directly from Colt.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
I am sitting on the edge of my chair waiting to see a picture of it. I can wait till Monday for a range report. LOL

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

SkipD

Helper-outer
yz9890 said:
Do you know if the twist rate is important or not for the average civilian AR shooter? do you need a tighter twist to shoot the heavier bullets or is the difference minor enough that most would never notice?
Choosing the proper twist rate for a rifle barrel can be very important if accuracy is important.

I found this article from another forum that explains the choices for .223 (and 5.56) rifles quite well.

SkipD

Helper-outer
I shoot 55gr (M193 Lake City and my handloads) and 62gr (M855 Lake City) bullets through my AR which has a 1:9 barrel. I'm able to hold 1-1/2" groups all day long at 50 yards with either iron sights or my EoTech red dot sight (no magnification). That's with my aging eyes looking through the sights as well.

I feel that I could cut those group sizes down to 1MOA or less with a good high-powered scope but my intended use of the AR isn't for precision long-range target work. That's what I drag out my old Remington 40XBR benchrest rifle chambered for .222 Remington. It's topped off with a Unertl 20X target scope and I can keep my groups under 3/8" at 100 yards all day long with it.