Thinking about an AR

Faktory 47

Fred_Import

Woodsman
Mar 20, 2010
SoCal
Lately I've been thinking about adding an AR to my gun safe. After some research I think I finally settled on a Daniel Defense M4 Carbine, V5 or V7. Everything I've read about them so far indicate they are a quality build, with virtually no problems encountered by owners.

Anyone here have anything about them they can add?

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
I've looked at them and the specs sound about right. But the price tag is a bit much.

PSAARUpgrades.jpg

In October I was shopping around looking at ARs. A friend pointed me to an Introduction Offer from Palmetto State Armory on their 16” 5.56, M4A1 Hammer-forged, chrome lined Patrol Carbine. I read the specs and was impressed. I drove over to their store and took a real close look at it. It followed me home.

Since then I’ve made a few changes. I decided to get Midwest Industries 2nd Generation AR15/M4 Drop in Handguard and set the Aimpoint PRO forward, then added an Aimpoint 3X Magnifier.

I hadn't messed with an M-16 or AR since 1993, after I retired from the military. The stuff they're producing these days is a far superior rifle to the ones I lugged around for years.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
My only suggestion is if you think you want an AR anytime soon, I would suggest getting it fairly soon. If a certain individual gets re-elected, there could be another run on them like 4 years ago. I got mine about this time 4 years ago and beat he very long wait times and increased cost that occurred right after i got it.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Colt LE6920 has gone up quite a bit in the last 3 months. The market already seems to be reacting to the demand. I was about to get one but I wanted a rifle that I knew would shoot steel case ammo so I got an Arsenal SGL21 instead. Not quite as accurate or pretty as the AR's but accurate enough, cheap to shoot and stockpile for, and extremely reliable. Had planned on buying the Colt so I had enough $$ left over for a Glock 21 as well.

Love the AR's also though. will have one in the safe soon I expect.

Fred_Import

Woodsman
Mar 20, 2010
SoCal
Thanks for the info, guys. Here's an update for you. Just by chance I heard about a new gun store opening just a few miles from home, so decided to check it out. Big mistake! I only went there to look (honest, really ;) ) but couldn't resist. I did handle a Daniel Defense AR, but wasn't real keen about the bulky handguard and price ($1425).

Then I picked up a Stag Arms Model 3, and it just felt right, plus it was on sale for $890. I heard a voice say "I'll take it", and while looking around to see who said that, finally realized it was me! :D

After the CA 10 day wait I'll pick it up on September 4. I'd like to write more, but have to check out some web sites for AR accessories. ;)

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
Fred, you beat me to the Stag Arms twist. I picked up a model 2 after running the gamut of manufacturers and have had no reason to look back.

I've had it out on the farm once and was impressed with how it ran and its iron sight accuracy out to about 150 yards on 8" steel plates. I went with the 2 because I still like iron sights.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Fred said:
Thanks for the info, guys. Here's an update for you. Just by chance I heard about a new gun store opening just a few miles from home, so decided to check it out. Big mistake! I only went there to look (honest, really ;) ) but couldn't resist. I did handle a Daniel Defense AR, but wasn't real keen about the bulky handguard and price ($1425).

Then I picked up a Stag Arms Model 3, and it just felt right, plus it was on sale for $890. I heard a voice say "I'll take it", and while looking around to see who said that, finally realized it was me! :D

After the CA 10 day wait I'll pick it up on September 4. I'd like to write more, but have to check out some web sites for AR accessories. ;)

Ahh!!! The save a few bucks starting out, then add a "few" accessories thinking. LOL. .... That was my thinking too.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
Fred...... :p

Here is a pic of my Stag Arms AR-15 Left handed model......
I got it in 2006.....It has never let me down yet.....
I have a leupold 6.5 x 20 and a Eotech 512 that I switch out often.....

AR15_SR_010.jpg

D

Denny4kids

We should all have one or two stripped lowers stashed away just in case the elections go wrong. Putting together an AR lower is easy and fun. The lower receiver is the regulated part and with one of those $75 to $100, a lower parts kit $39 to $75, I use only Daniel Defence $75,and a butt-stock of your choice $50 and up you will have the makings of an AR-15. With a complete lower that you assembled, you can order an assembled upper and when it comes in the mail all you do is set it on your lower and push in 2 pins. Believe me it's harder to pick which upper to buy than it is to build the lower. Please don't give in to the BS about matched uppers and lowers or worry about having an unsafe Frankenstein rifle because everything fits everything else and it always works. Den

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Trigger nice gun. They talking about my shorts but I think your bedspread takes the cake. LOL

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Yeah trig ...i know all about the bedspread jokes. I remember posting up some guns and gear on a quilted foot blanket Sher uses...and i'm still hearing about that deal...we sorta live with females guys...+anyway... think most of do....i hope..

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
here's the before and after of my AK type build...

before:
a6937897-02ab-e92c.jpg

after:
a6937897-02ca-000e.jpg

$12

-----(kidding)

I'm going to do a PSA build pretty soon as well.

Indigowolf

John
Jun 8, 2012
New Hampshire
Zip code
Thinking about buying a stripped lower and putting one together as funds accumulate. I was told it will cost a little more by the time I'm done but then I won't be changing out parts not to my liking... provided I do my research on what feels and or works best for my needs.
I'm not convinced yet though. My other thought is to buy a tactical bolt rifle. Or if I could find a decent varmint rifle I would trim the barrel to a more portable length, dress it up like a scout rifle, and add the appropriate accessories. Its been a while since I've had a tack driver.

R

rayzer007

Oh my; how are you ever going to decide between those great choices Wolfie? :-\
Ray

R

rayzer007

SkipD said:
Fred, regardless of your choice for the base hardware you should make your AR lightweight like mine:
How do you get that floating effect Skip, it's neat?
Ray