The most effective hardware for home defense

American Revival Apparel Company

You hear the bump in the night. What hardware do you grab for protection?

• Shotgun or long gun

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Handgun

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Baseball bat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Handgun with cell phone

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Long gun with cell phone

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
D

Denny4kids

For years my Mossberg 500 would be my weapon of choice but not anymore. I now consider it wiser to use a handgun and have a hand free to use a cell phone or light or any of the other tasks needed when searching for an intruder. What are some other thoughts on this? Denny

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I keep a 9mm handgun and a very bright flashlight at the ready at night. For other times, I have a variety of choices.

number2son

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
California
Ditto on the 9mm handgun and flashlight. I also have available a .45cal handgun and a pit bull.

The truth is the pit bull is the primary deterant early warning system hopefully negating the need for the other stuff being deployed. But it's ready just in case.

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
Basement: Springfield XD 45, two extra mags, Fenix flashlight, Spyderco, and a charged old cellphone.
Living room: Same as basement except a Glock model 23 (40).
Bedroom: Same as basement except Glock 27 (40) on my side of bed and the wifey has a S&W Model 66 (357).
All weapons are cocked, locked and ready to go in quick access gun vaults.
By the way the wifey gets upset when anybody walks on her carpets with shoes on! ;)

R

rayzer007

We just purchased Mossberg 510 (20 ga - 3+1) at my wife's prodding.

Ray

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
I'm still all in for my 12 gauge, any shotgun. The motion sensor exterior lights and skylights provide good lighting. If something was going down, there probably would not be time to give the BG the courtesy of a 911 call first.

BubbaDX

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think the 12 gauge definitely has its place in home defense, I have one tucked away where I can get to it without too much trouble. But for that bump in the night, it's a Sig 9 mm for me. I have a pit bull mix that I hope is my early warning system but he's one of the friendliest dogs I have ever had. I still think he would defend his home though.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
One of these days I need to convince my wife that a Remington 870 Express Tactical 12ga. would be the perfect "hunting" shotgun. ;)

I have a very old Browning Auto-5 in 20 gauge, but it's WAY too long for using in the house.

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
House is armed with an Alarm System...if it goes off in the middle of the night, it's a Glock26 & cell phone for me. Yogi 8)

M

mukwah

A 12 ga., a 40S&W, and a chiuaua that will chew your little toe off!

gunjunkie

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Texas Panhandle
I keep a Beretta 96 tucked between my waterbed mattress and the wood frame. If I roll off of the bed on the side away from the door (waterbed makes pretty good cover) there is an 870 with 20" cylinder bore, mounted light and extra shell holder handy with one already chambered (no kids in the house).

Sassi

Hunter
Mar 7, 2010
Middle Georgia
At night there is a 38 special within hand reach, cell phone and mini flashlight on the night stand, and a Mossberg 500 12 gauge HD in the corner of the bedroom.

At all other times while I am dressed, there is either a 38 special, or other handgun inside my front pocket.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
gunjunkie said:
I keep a Beretta 96 tucked between my waterbed mattress and the wood frame. If I roll off of the bed on the side away from the door (waterbed makes pretty good cover) there is an 870 with 20" cylinder bore, mounted light and extra shell holder handy with one already chambered (no kids in the house).

so you're the last guy in the country with a waterbed. :)

is "cylinder bore" essentially wide open?

I've got a 590 ready if the circumstances permit. Other wise a P229/40 with weapon light upstairs and a G21 with a weapon light downstairs. often something on my hip or in my pocket as well if I'm not in bed

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
mukwah said:
A 12 ga., a 40S&W, and a chiuaua that will chew your little toe off!

is it a least a green chihuahua that can eat zombie toes? maybe get him a neon green doggie jacket for the apocalypse.

jackjr

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
XDm 9mm and 6 cell Maglight on my side of the waterbed and a Daewoo 9mm along with Elsie on the wife's side. Plenty of mags available for all. Room locked when the grandson visits.

Fred_Import

Woodsman
Mar 20, 2010
SoCal
Handgun, cell phone, and Surefire light. Also, make sure to keep car keys handy close by your bed at night. Can be used to trigger the car alarm if needed, or tossed out a window to arriving police so they can easily enter your home.