The most effective hardware for home defense

American Revival Apparel Company

You hear the bump in the night. What hardware do you grab for protection?

• Shotgun or long gun

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Handgun

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Baseball bat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Handgun with cell phone

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Long gun with cell phone

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
XD 9MM is my favorite for now, like the 16 + 1! I have lots of shotguns too, but want a home defense one with a shorter barrel.

Northern_Son

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
The Heart of Ohio
Currently Glock 26 in holster-mate mounted on the side of the bed with cell phone and good flashlight. Wife has LCP in holster-mate and is supposed to have cell phone and flashlight ready to go as well. ;)

I have an 870 almost set up and ready to go but don't have a light for it yet. I have a Blackhawk collapsible stock on it and I'm getting pretty decent at loading/shooting from the hip with the stock tucked under my arm and then transitioning to the shoulder mount. I have the Blackhawk saddle on the stock as well. Wal-Mart is actually selling that rig where I live.

Once the 870 is charged I can hold a phone briefly in my left hand but that will probably be wife's job.

We have bells on the doors and locks on the windows but if someone defeats a window and the bedroom door lock quietly we'd be in trouble. Can't afford an alarm and we aren't dog people.

I am actually more concerned about coming home and surprising someone in the house. Since I can't carry at work it's hard for me to cultivate the habit of carrying everyday. I have a car system, I just don't use it every day. :-\

CRXPilot

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Mooresville, NC
Bersa Thunder Plus on its way soon (please SantaWifeBossLady). Until then, I'm waving my mighty hand cannon :D menacingly in the intruder's direction.

I'm in a new house (to me) and the first things I learned were the "no shoot" walls and the "funnel".

If I can't get to my kids, I can't shoot through the walls into their room. Find these walls in your home and learn how they look, especially at night.

If I can grab everybody I'm getting my Thunder Plus and phone to the top of the stairs. The chute down the stairwell funnels bad guys up to me like....um....a bad guy funnel.

I hope I never, ever have to use any of these tactics.

M

mukwah

All of these are good ideas! This is a good topic to think about and talk over "just in case". It is always good to have a plan of action to protect yourself and your family.
In our home, as funny as it may sound, our little chauaua will bark loudly and continuously at the slightest noise outside the doors or windows. She will do this until I get up and let her know everything is OK.
As far as a cellphone, my wife and I have experienced this situation first hand. From that experienced our natural instincts kick in. I will go immediately to the threat with weapon and flashlight in hand, while she immediately arms herself and calls 911. As far as children in the house the only one would be my grandson and he knows immediately to get low and move on all fours.
Plan and practice drill your routine, and stay safe!

D

Denny4kids

Reading through the posts reminds me of an IDPA course of fire. We started with our weapon low and ready in our non dominant hand and had to hold a cell phone in our strong hand up to our ear and then the buzzer to start the stage. The whole stage is shot with the weak hand and no reload. That would be 11 shots. I'm getting better but it still feels weird. We should all practice shooting with the weak hand.
I believe we should be extra careful after calling the police! This puts us in their arena and mistakes could happen if they see you with a weapon, or you point at them by mistake.
Also I fear my dogs attacking a cop by mistake! I have 2 50 pound Aussies and my female must be a little German because she plays rough. I can call her off with the words "leave It!" but you never know for sure. Denny

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
HRPartnerPumpProtector.jpg

Should I hear a bump at night; in the Master Bedroom I keep an H&R 12 Gauge, Partner Pump Protector. I in the nightstand is a Walther PPK S-1 or whatever I was carrying that day. The pistol is to keep things steady until I can get to the shotgun.
There’s also a cell phone, portable home phone and flashlight around.

jackjr

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
Never thought I'd own a cell phone and then the wife gave me one. Never considered a smart phone and then my wife bought me one. Never wanted an app but now I have one that turns on the flash so I have a very bright light to use while calling 911 and don't have to carry a separate flashlight along with my phone and pistol. Can't wait to see what she gets me next.

R

rayzer007

jackjr said:
Can't wait to see what she gets me next.

Any chance it could be another .45 ?? ;) That would REALLY convince you of her love toward you!! ;D

Ray

jackjr

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
rayzer007 said:
jackjr said:
Can't wait to see what she gets me next.

Any chance it could be another .45 ?? ;) That would REALLY convince you of her love toward you!! ;D

Ray
She gave me a Sig Fastback Nightmare 1911 for Fathers day and that will hold me for a while.

M

mukwah

I don't know, my limit is usually about 6 months between guns! That was 5 months. I'd be getting a little antsy. But then again, my wife's never bought me a gun, that she knows of! LOL