SR22 - It took me by surprise

Faktory 47

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
We went to Fin, Feather, n Fur for some hiking boots today. We also made the perfuntory stop at the gun cases that stretch the length of the back of the store. Kimber, Springfield, Sig, Smith... Ruger! And there was a couple fondling an SR22. It looked good after seeing so many handguns in the cases.

I asked to see it when they were done. Within a couple of minutes of it being in my hand, good ergonimcs, smooth slide, and above average adjustable sights... I just blurted out that I wanted it. I don't do that on anything I buy so there there must be something special to this little gun.

So, $295 + tax and I remain surprised. Really good price, but I again suffer the 3 day wait before taking possession of it. More to follow later this week.

They also had a Ruger Scout. They almost got a two-fer today. Really nice little rifle... Crisp!

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
3Coyotes said:
Handguns magazine just stated the MSRP as being $399... $295 as a street price really softens that 3 day wait! ;D
Got mine from the Fin Feather Fur on sale for $309.00. Seems like they are going up in price. Must be a supply and demand thing.

Mongo

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
North Central Illinois
Zip code
LGS had a Father's Day sale yesterday. $289.00 for an SR22. Couldn't resist. Will pick it up Wednesday. I've been looking around the internet for some extra magazines (LGS is out of them). The least expensive ones I've found are $22.95 but, they're out of stock. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find some SR22 magazines that are in stock at a reasonable price?

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
Mongo said:
LGS had a Father's Day sale yesterday. $289.00 for an SR22. Couldn't resist. Will pick it up Wednesday. I've been looking around the internet for some extra magazines (LGS is out of them). The least expensive ones I've found are $22.95 but, they're out of stock. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find some SR22 magazines that are in stock at a reasonable price?
RugerRon60 said:
3Coyotes said:
Handguns magazine just stated the MSRP as being $399... $295 as a street price really softens that 3 day wait! ;D
Got mine from the Fin Feather Fur on sale for $309.00. Seems like they are going up in price. Must be a supply and demand thing.
Yes the regular FFF price was $309 coupled with a Father's Day sale. Yeah, I'm feelin' good! ;D 8)

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
Sr22P22Mosquito.jpg

So, here it is along with its sister rimfires pistols from the safe... the exception being the Mark III Competition that's out somewhere with my son.

The Mosquito is in a world of hurt right now, but in healthier days ran rings around the performance of the P22 and the SR22. One of its last acts before needing repairs was to clang a 6" steel target at 125 yards on the 4th shot. We were having trouble doing the same with my AR15 with iron sights before my buddy issued the challenge to do the same with the Mosquito.

The SR22 and P22 seem to be made from similar molds. Size, weight, feel and accuracy. In many ways, they are almost interchangable. My wife loves the blue and nickel of her P22 and I enjoyed throwing 250 rounds down range with the SR22. Accuracy was not at a Misquito level, but the SR22 is really tight and still stretching legs.

As it stands, the SR22 is a good stand-in for SD training and mirros a lot of what a 17 ounce 9mm exhibits in the hand. I have since read that the SR22 shoots its Sunday best with standard velocity ammo. I was using Fedal and Blazer bulk1325 bulk. Next time i'll step it down and see if that improves performance. My son said it made a world of difference with the Mark III in putting ten rounds through the same hole. ;)

THe testing continues this week...

Silverfox1

Hunter
Jun 10, 2012
Louisville, KY
I found my Sr22 Pistol at a local gun store less than 2 weeks ago for $300. Yesterday I saw Bud's had it advertised for $339, so I felt pretty good about the deal I got. I've already been to to range 3 times with it and love it! Sold my Beretta U22 Neos to a friend to buy this one, glad I did because I hated shooting the Beretta,

M

mukwah

Congratulations! Same thing happened to me with my Baretta PX4 Storm! Once it was in my hand I could tell that I had to have it! Must be karma or something!8)

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
I had the SR22 and company out a couple more times. Once it loosened up a bit, it got to be more fun and accuracy did improve.

The Mosquito has since gotten a new recoil spring and a promise from me to never - ever load anything but Mini Mags in it ever - ever - ever again. Anything less is like running a muscle car on unleaded regular. Love that gun! :D

M

mukwah

Re: Re: SR22 - It took me by surprise

framedcraig1 said:
Okay...sorry 3Coyotes..obvious the kudos go to you....not Mukwah. Glad it's working out for you bud!
Oh man, I thought you were getting me a new SR22!

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Guess the kudos go to both Mukwah, and 3Coyoyes for putting up with me...duh. Your turn WILL come if you want one bad enough Mukwah...LOL