So what all did Obama do to fuck us this time?

Howard Law

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
It depends on the situation.

What's illegal about driving a car?
I guess I don't understand what you're getting at, in your earlier posts. You seem to be implying that selling items for a profit, while following all established rules, is somehow wrong?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I guess I don't understand what you're getting at, in your earlier posts. You seem to be implying that selling items for a profit, while following all established rules, is somehow wrong?
It can be if you are doing it in a way that breaks the law. If you are buying and selling with the intention of making a profit, that's illegal.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
It can be if you are doing it in a way that breaks the law. If you are buying and selling with the intention of making a profit, that's illegal.
There's a difference between profit and livelihood. There's nothing wrong with making a profit on the sale of a gun. Anyone can make a profit on selling a gun. Many people here have. If I sell a gun, my intention is to get the best price that the market will reasonably bear. What it cost me or you is irrelevant. Sometimes we may make a profit, often times we don't. But if I can, you can be damn sure I will. And that's still not illegal. It's a principle that this country was founded on.

This is why the new language regarding dealers concerns me. If I was so inclined, I could buy a (insert firearm type here) every month. Let's just say that my motivation or "intent" is to plan ahead in the event that one day they are banned. They were bought for personal use. Then, a few years down the road, a panic begins. Not a ban, a panic. Prices multiply 5x. And I'm sitting on 20 high demand items. I then decide that my original plan was dumb and decide to sell off 15 of them, so I can buy something else, pay medical bills, pay for my kids tuition, whatever.

Do you believe that would be or should be illegal? Do you believe that I should then be considered a dealer?

Reactions: AirOpsMgr

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
There's a difference between profit and livelihood. There's nothing wrong with making a profit on the sale of a gun. Anyone can make a profit on selling a gun. Many people here have. If I sell a gun, my intention is to get the best price that the market will reasonably bear. What it cost me or you is irrelevant. Sometimes we may make a profit, often times we don't. But if I can, you can be damn sure I will. And that's still not illegal. It's a principle that this country was founded on.

This is why the new language regarding dealers concerns me. If I was so inclined, I could buy a (insert firearm type here) every month. Let's just say that my motivation or "intent" is to plan ahead in the event that one day they are banned. They were bought for personal use. Then, a few years down the road, a panic begins. Not a ban, a panic. Prices multiply 5x. And I'm sitting on 20 high demand items. I then decide that my original plan was dumb and decide to sell off 15 of them, so I can buy something else, pay medical bills, pay for my kids tuition, whatever.

Do you believe that would be or should be illegal? Do you believe that I should then be considered a dealer?
Yes, that is considered illegal under the law. Yes, the law would consider you a dealer. Yes, if you break the law you should suffer the repercussions. Whether or not I agree with it doesn't matter at all. Neither yours or my opinion will land your ass in jail. Breaking the law will.
Like I said, it's a matter of perspective and at the end of the day it isn't your perspective that matters. That's thin ice to be willing to tread, all for the possibility of making a few dollars. No thanks...not this cat. I'd rather go get a part time job on the weekends if I were interested in making a few extra dollars.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Yes, that is considered illegal under the law. Yes, the law would consider you a dealer. Yes, if you break the law you should suffer the repercussions. Whether or not I agree with it doesn't matter at all. Neither yours or my opinion will land your ass in jail. Breaking the law will.
Like I said, it's a matter of perspective and at the end of the day it isn't your perspective that matters. That's thin ice to be willing to tread, all for the possibility of making a few dollars. No thanks...not this cat. I'd rather go get a part time job on the weekends if I were interested in making a few extra dollars.
Really?

"... Determining whether your firearm-related activities require a license is a fact-specific in-quiry that involves application of factors set by federal statute. This guidance is intendedto help you determine whether you need to be licensed under federal law...

... Federal law requires that persons who are engaged in the business
of dealing in firearms be licensed by ATF. The penalty for dealing infirearms without a license is up to five years in prison, a fine up to$250,000, or both.

 A person can be engaged in the business of dealing in firearms
regardless of the location in which firearm transactions areconducted. For example, a person can be engaged in the businessof dealing in firearms even if the person only conducts firearmtransactions at gun shows or through the internet .

 Determining whether you are “engaged in the business” of dealing in
firearms requires looking at the specific facts and circumstances ofyour activities.

 As a general rule, you will need a license if you repetitively buy and
sell firearms with the principal motive of making a profit. In contrast,if you only make occasional sales of firearms from your personalcollection, you do not need to be licensed.

 Courts have identified several factors relevant to determining on
which side of that line your activities may fall, including: whetheryou represent yourself as a dealer in firearms; whether you arerepetitively buying and selling firearms; the circumstances underwhich you are selling firearms; and whether you are looking to makea profit. Note that while quantity and frequency of sales are relevantindicators, courts have upheld convictions for dealing without alicense when as few as two firearms were sold, or when only one ortwo transactions took place, when other factors were also present."

The above doesn't sound at all like what I described.

Reactions: AirOpsMgr

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Really?

"... Determining whether your firearm-related activities require a license is a fact-specific in-quiry that involves application of factors set by federal statute. This guidance is intendedto help you determine whether you need to be licensed under federal law...

... Federal law requires that persons who are engaged in the business
of dealing in firearms be licensed by ATF. The penalty for dealing infirearms without a license is up to five years in prison, a fine up to$250,000, or both.

 A person can be engaged in the business of dealing in firearms
regardless of the location in which firearm transactions areconducted. For example, a person can be engaged in the businessof dealing in firearms even if the person only conducts firearmtransactions at gun shows or through the internet .

 Determining whether you are “engaged in the business” of dealing in
firearms requires looking at the specific facts and circumstances ofyour activities.

 As a general rule, you will need a license if you repetitively buy and
sell firearms with the principal motive of making a profit. In contrast,if you only make occasional sales of firearms from your personalcollection, you do not need to be licensed.

 Courts have identified several factors relevant to determining on
which side of that line your activities may fall, including: whetheryou represent yourself as a dealer in firearms; whether you arerepetitively buying and selling firearms; the circumstances underwhich you are selling firearms; and whether you are looking to makea profit. Note that while quantity and frequency of sales are relevantindicators, courts have upheld convictions for dealing without alicense when as few as two firearms were sold, or when only one ortwo transactions took place, when other factors were also present."

The above doesn't sound at all like what I described.
Do you really want to poke the bear for a few hundred/thousand bucks? I don't. I have no problems selling a gun here and there, but I'm not buying up a box of lowers with the intention of dumping them during a banic.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Do you really want to poke the bear for a few hundred/thousand bucks? I don't. I have no problems selling a gun here and there, but I'm not buying up a box of lowers with the intention of dumping them during a banic.
Me either and that's not what I was suggesting. But no one saw Sandy Hook coming. And a lot of people capitalized on it, private sellers and dealers alike. I'm not suggesting that anyone attempt to skirt the line. Because if you are, you've probably already crossed it. SH is as close to an all out ban, as we've come in recent years. It created a real fear for a lot of people. Some of them have probably stockpiled things like lowers and bolt carrier groups. Not so they could retire early one day, but so they don't ever get caught with their pants down again. They should have the right to get rid of them if they change their mind.

However, I'm not going to be told that I can't make a profit on something I purchased for my own private use either. Would you commit to never making a dime from selling a gun? That's insane and un-American. Not you, but the idea. Obviously, they have left themselves a lot of wiggle room and can basically accuse anyone of being a dealer. The law isn't on our side any longer and the burden of proof is on us to prove innocence, instead of them to prove guilt. It's fundamentally flawed.

I'm just going to stockpile bolt carrier groups for the next panic. Easy peasy.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Me either and that's not what I was suggesting. But no one saw Sandy Hook coming. And a lot of people capitalized on it, private sellers and dealers alike. I'm not suggesting that anyone attempt to skirt the line. Because if you are, you've probably already crossed it. SH is as close to an all out ban, as we've come in recent years. It created a real fear for a lot of people. Some of them have probably stockpiled things like lowers and bolt carrier groups. Not so they could retire early one day, but so they don't ever get caught with their pants down again. They should have the right to get rid of them if they change their mind.

However, I'm not going to be told that I can't make a profit on something I purchased for my own private use either. Would you commit to never making a dime from selling a gun? That's insane and un-American. Not you, but the idea. Obviously, they have left themselves a lot of wiggle room and can basically accuse anyone of being a dealer. The law isn't on our side any longer and the burden of proof is on us to prove innocence, instead of them to prove guilt. It's fundamentally flawed.

I'm just going to stockpile bolt carrier groups for the next panic. Easy peasy.
Yeah, mags BCG's, uppers, whatever..just no firearms for me.