silver

American Revival Apparel Company

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
Good price- I like the Britannia coins too.
me too

only thing is i have heard some folks complain they are prone to "milk spotting"

i know the canadian maples can suffer from this unfortunately, have a few from 2010 that werent handled very well that have these blemishes. have yet to see milk spotting on the brit sovereigns

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
cam00355-jpg.660238

cam00356-jpg.660239

this si what i got in today

Reactions: DoglegArms

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
Does it really matter what type of rounds you buy? Sunshine, englehard, silvertowne?
some command a premium, but mostly the premiums are attached to gov coins or already minted rounds. kinda hard to predict which ones will ave a collectors premium 10+ years from now

Reactions: DoglegArms

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
So in a nutshell gov coins increase in value and most private mints stay around spot?
for the most part. some private mints such as the older engleard and jm matthey bars/rounds re worth more than some of the gov coins

but that was back in the 80s mostly. there werent as many private silver companies. with how popular silver ios today and how easy it is to find (internet) there are shitloads more sellers. so it will be harder to predict which rounds/bars struck today will hold a premium over standard melt later

gov coins always seem to go up so long as they are kept in mint condition

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
some academic reading for yall

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_silver

interesting that the ratio proposed would be 1 to 16, even though at the time it was valued at 1 to 32 ounces (according to wiki)

i have always heard that the traditional standard was 1 to 25 (i guess that makes sense if you average 16 and 32)

lets forget the price (in terms of current dollars) of metals for a minute and lets focus on the real ratio (if one exists) of silver to gold. is gold in a higher demand than silver due to its usefulness or scarcity, or is it a hold over value from peoples confidence that it is more valuable?

growing up i didnt know squat about pricing. i did know that Platinum > gold > silver. but today platinum has dropped alot by means of substitute product (Palladium). back int he day china used a silver standard and at some points in time in history silver was more valuable than gold. this doesnt say anything new, that values change (for instance no one uses shells or tulips anymore as money). but there has to be some rhyme or reason for the silver to gold ratio. right now it is roughly 1 gold oz to 75 silver oz.

lets look at the facts

-silver is less scarce than gold currently, either due to the demand or use or how much is gathered
-silver has more industrial use than gold does these days.
-silver and gold are both unique in the PM markets and are the most popular bullion vehicles available; whereas platinum, rhodium, palladium, and a few others all widely flux as they are more for use in industrial applications rather than as traditional bullion

yall feel free to add on to this. what im trying to get at is not a prediction in the swing of the current market but rather the most agreed upon valuation between the two primary bullion candidates (gold and silver)

i believe silver is undervalued (or gold overvalued) when matched against each other

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Is anyone buying? Favorite places to buy? I've used JMB, and they're pretty awesome.

Reactions: Thenut

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
Is anyone buying? Favorite places to buy? I've used JMB, and they're pretty awesome.
JM bullion is the best i have found consistently on pricing for gov coins

provident is my favorite to order from, they have the best generic rounds and bars for the best price 9 out of 10 times. they also do pretty decent on their 90% silver

i ordered from bullionexchanges.com as well. but i use them only for 90% quarters and dimes as their price is usually the cheapest for these. downside is they take a good while, require a 10% credit card deposit (which gets returned after they get the paper check in hand) and are based in New York city (and i dont like my money going to that town)

i think the best hands down is Bay Precious metals though. unfortunately they operate exclusively via ebay from what i can tell. they specialize in government coins mostly. their prices are generally a tad higher but they will run amazing specials if you check in from time to time. also you buy with a credit card or debit card and their shipping is stupid fast (i once placed an order on a Thursday and had it in hand by Monday)

those are the 4 i would use. if you want to shop local though check out jrr888's store in Marietta. he hooks it up and if you let him know you are coming in ahead of time he will make sure they have what you need

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
JM bullion is the best i have found consistently on pricing for gov coins

provident is my favorite to order from, they have the best generic rounds and bars for the best price 9 out of 10 times. they also do pretty decent on their 90% silver

i ordered from bullionexchanges.com as well. but i use them only for 90% quarters and dimes as their price is usually the cheapest for these. downside is they take a good while, require a 10% credit card deposit (which gets returned after they get the paper check in hand) and are based in New York city (and i dont like my money going to that town)

i think the best hands down is Bay Precious metals though. unfortunately they operate exclusively via ebay from what i can tell. they specialize in government coins mostly. their prices are generally a tad higher but they will run amazing specials if you check in from time to time. also you buy with a credit card or debit card and their shipping is stupid fast (i once placed an order on a Thursday and had it in hand by Monday)

those are the 4 i would use. if you want to shop local though check out jrr888's store in Marietta. he hooks it up and if you let him know you are coming in ahead of time he will make sure they have what you need
Cool, thanks. I just placed an order with Provident. I've actually had 2 day delivery from JMB, couldn't believe it...that's amazon fast. I like the idea of getting silver coins with a face value vs. rounds. What's your opinion?

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
Cool, thanks. I just placed an order with Provident. I've actually had 2 day delivery from JMB, couldn't believe it...that's amazon fast. I like the idea of getting silver coins with a face value vs. rounds. What's your opinion?
that is crazy fast, they ship from las vegas i believe

its always a good idea to get a mix

i generally buy the cheapest silver i can, so i often go with the generic rounds. right now silver is on the uptick and just hit 15 at spot for the first time in two months. it is still a good time to buy mind you

but i pay attention to the deals on the gov coins. right now i think the cheapest 3 gov coins are the austrian phil harmonics, the brit sovereigns, and the armenian arks (even though those are technically minted in germany by geiger)

all 3 of these coins are fantastic. i used to be partial to maples but since 2010 there have been reports of milk spotting which damages the value of the coin, so no point in getting them for the premium IMO

constitutional silver (90%) commands a high premium due to numismatic values and the fact that 90% silver is not counterfeited (not that i know of; i know the peace and morgans have been targeted) they also are a coin so its backed by a government. the 90% silver is also very useful to have as fractional rounds (since buying pure .9999 silver fractionally is usually way more expensive than even there)

jrr888's shop has/had 40% clad half dollars that he sells at spot/melt. mind you, if you resell these you will get less than spot but this is the cheapest way to get silver. you arent paying a premium so you are literally swapping out currency for money (dollar bills for silver)

the trick is putting aside a % of money you wish to spend and have a time frame involved. i will wait up to two weeks sometimes with the cash but that rarely happens as there is usually a good deal floating around.

i wouldnt concern myself with the everyday fluxes. set a price limit and buy what you can, when you can (my limit is 20, i wont pay more than that for a troy ounce of silver)

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
that is crazy fast, they ship from las vegas i believe

its always a good idea to get a mix

i generally buy the cheapest silver i can, so i often go with the generic rounds. right now silver is on the uptick and just hit 15 at spot for the first time in two months. it is still a good time to buy mind you

but i pay attention to the deals on the gov coins. right now i think the cheapest 3 gov coins are the austrian phil harmonics, the brit sovereigns, and the armenian arks (even though those are technically minted in germany by geiger)

all 3 of these coins are fantastic. i used to be partial to maples but since 2010 there have been reports of milk spotting which damages the value of the coin, so no point in getting them for the premium IMO

constitutional silver (90%) commands a high premium due to numismatic values and the fact that 90% silver is not counterfeited (not that i know of; i know the peace and morgans have been targeted) they also are a coin so its backed by a government. the 90% silver is also very useful to have as fractional rounds (since buying pure .9999 silver fractionally is usually way more expensive than even there)

jrr888's shop has/had 40% clad half dollars that he sells at spot/melt. mind you, if you resell these you will get less than spot but this is the cheapest way to get silver. you arent paying a premium so you are literally swapping out currency for money (dollar bills for silver)

the trick is putting aside a % of money you wish to spend and have a time frame involved. i will wait up to two weeks sometimes with the cash but that rarely happens as there is usually a good deal floating around.

i wouldnt concern myself with the everyday fluxes. set a price limit and buy what you can, when you can (my limit is 20, i wont pay more than that for a troy ounce of silver)
Good info, thanks! I guess I'm guilty of just placing an order without giving too much thought to price. I'm looking much longer term, so a buck here or there doesn't play into the plan too much. Liquidity has been my main objective.

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
Good info, thanks! I guess I'm guilty of just placing an order without giving too much thought to price. I'm looking much longer term, so a buck here or there doesn't play into the plan too much. Liquidity has been my main objective.
thats fine too really. but if you are doing long term stuff then every cent adds up. but dont let the savings of a dollar or two stop you from pulling the trigger when you need to

once you place the order it is locked in. send a check via us mail and you get silver in a week and a half to three weeks. i enjoy the slow pace honestly because its like christmas waiting for it

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
ohhh and dont forget to look into getting small amounts of gold when you can

gold is harder for me to follow and track, so what i do is i just wait till my change jar gets filled and then swap out those coins for whatever gold it can buy me.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
ya, those are cool

but if im going to pay 20+ for a generic round im buying the ones with either the confederate battle flag on them or the ones with a marijuana leaf on it
Meh, I'll pass on those. Both are for losers. :fish:

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I just paid $43 for some 2oz silver rounds, just because I liked the design. :)