School me on Load Bearing / MOLLE vests

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
yep, I wear it at work and they still look good enough that none of my supervisors have bitched about them.

their boots are comfy but they dont last much longer than a year.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
yep, I wear it at work and they still look good enough that none of my supervisors have bitched about them.

their boots are comfy but they dont last much longer than a year.
I haven't tried their boots, I've been hooked on Timberland Pro steel toe "Endurance" boots for a while now, about the most comfortable steel toe I've ever had and I'm going on 2 years with the current pair without issue

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I haven't tried their boots, I've been hooked on Timberland Pro steel toe "Endurance" boots for a while now, about the most comfortable steel toe I've ever had and I'm going on 2 years with the current pair without issue
Don't waste your time with their boots. I've been using them for a few years and I'm tired of having to buy new ones every year. I'm going to get some dinner or Bates this year I think.

Hopefully 5.11 does that 40% sale sometime this year. I got some pants for a real good deal last year when they did it.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Just my opinion, but I'd skip the vest styles and focus on a chest rig of some sort. Earlier, someone mentioned the BGF rack minus and that's a good option. I'd also take a close look at the various chest rigs available from SKD Tactical. They've got a lot of brands available, from Eagle Industries, Blue Force Gear, PIG, etc.

ETA: if you want a grab n go rig, I'd look for something with an H harness and the ability to add a hydration pouch on the rear.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Just my opinion, but I'd skip the vest styles and focus on a chest rig of some sort. Earlier, someone mentioned the BGF rack minus and that's a good option. I'd also take a close look at the various chest rigs available from SKD Tactical. They've got a lot of brands available, from Eagle Industries, Blue Force Gear, PIG, etc.

ETA: if you want a grab n go rig, I'd look for something with an H harness and the ability to add a hydration pouch on the rear.
That UTG one I listed accepts a hydration system; I looked at the H harness styles and while I'm not against them, I just figured a vest would give me more storage options for a quick-grab scenario.

Maybe I'll do some cheap versions of each, try them out and see what works

Reactions: DarthVader

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
That UTG one I listed accepts a hydration system; I looked at the H harness styles and while I'm not against them, I just figured a vest would give me more storage options for a quick-grab scenario.

Maybe I'll do some cheap versions of each, try them out and see what works
10-4. I just took a closer look at that one. It has a large open mesh back, which will allow you to put almost anything inside of it. But I'd recommend something that will hold a hydro pouch a little more securely. Does it have a loop or something that you could actually hook the bladder to? If not, the bladder will sink to the bottom and be a big saggy, floppy pain in the butt.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
10-4. I just took a closer look at that one. It has a large open mesh back, which will allow you to put almost anything inside of it. But I'd recommend something that will hold a hydro pouch a little more securely. Does it have a loop or something that you could actually hook the bladder to? If not, the bladder will sink to the bottom and be a big saggy, floppy pain in the butt.

Not sure how the different types of hydro systems mount, but this is what I found for the back of that UTG vest

Also liking that Esstac you posted

Reactions: DarthVader

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Not sure how the different types of hydro systems mount, but this is what I found for the back of that UTG vest

Also liking that Esstac you posted
I scrolled through the pictures of that vest and all it says is that it has an open mesh pocket. The vagueness of the description doesn't make me think it was designed for hydro compatibility specifically in mind.

The Esstac rigs are nice, but can be really expensive once you piece together all of the components. Check out Tactical Tailor for a more affordable alternative. I've met the TT owner and he's a squared away dude. They also make a similar harness that will allow you to snap in any molle compatible hydro pouch. Check out their website and also look at OP Tactical. They have good prices and ship fast! Here's a link to the TT harness on OPT.
http://www.optactical.com/xharnessmav.html

Reactions: AirOpsMgr

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I think these look pretty sharp.

Only $21.21

cvucr2943t_1024x1024.jpg

Like it- keep in mind I have no experience with such things. Best I can do is some WWII web belts with suspenders.

I'm wondering how those straps affect shouldering a rifle. Seems like that could take some getting used to. I've also heard some things from a friend that has done a couple of training sessions and patrol classes. He was against chest rigs in general because they are apparently uncomfortable as hell when laying prone.

He recommended a 'battle belt' and suspender setup with most of the bulky stuff behind you (IFAK, sustainment pouch) and larger drop leg pouches at each side for mags/etc.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Like it- keep in mind I have no experience with such things. Best I can do is some WWII web belts with suspenders.

I'm wondering how those straps affect shouldering a rifle. Seems like that could take some getting used to. I've also heard some things from a friend that has done a couple of training sessions and patrol classes. He was against chest rigs in general because they are apparently uncomfortable as hell when laying prone.

He recommended a 'battle belt' and suspender setup with most of the bulky stuff behind you (IFAK, sustainment pouch) and larger drop leg pouches at each side for mags/etc.
I agree on the battle belt. I've run one for a couple of years now and just recently set up a plate carrier. I'm keeping the PC pretty slick, with a mag shingle on the front and a small hydration pouch on the rear. Everything else rides on the belt. It's set up with 2x pistol and rifle speed reloads, dump pouch, IFAK and pistol holster.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code

Our friend, Brian? He's loaned me some ALICE gear for stuff before. I wouldn't hesitate to get an older ALICE set up if you can find it. For diving prone, a battle belt is the way to go.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Our friend, Brian? He's loaned me some ALICE gear for stuff before. I wouldn't hesitate to get an older ALICE set up if you can find it. For diving prone, a battle belt is the way to go.

Yep. Learned a lot talking to him after some of the classes he's done. I have laid down on mag pouches just to see what I'd be dealing with on the chest rig- yeah. Not the way I'd like to spend time while keeping my head down. Running through a 3 gun, probably ok for a short stage. But I think the belt with suspenders wins. Oh- and imagine doing a reload while you are laying on your mags... in that instance, Magpul's floor plates are probably required just due to friction.

I picked up two flak jackets awhile back. One was pretty nice and the other was in rough shape. I shot the one in rough shape- .45, .38, 9mm did not penetrate even 1/2 the material. .223 and 7.62x39 however did not even know the flak jacket was there- straight through both sides. I'm not advocating a flak jacket in lieu of a real plate setup, but if you've only got $50, it's not a bad layer to add (granted, it's like a 20 pound layer).

Reactions: freedom

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I wasn't too worried about laying on the vest as I could unzip it and lay it open if I was going to be on the ground for any length of time

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I wasn't too worried about laying on the vest as I could unzip it and lay it open if I was going to be on the ground for any length of time
Not to mention that if you're ever in an actual gunfight, you need be moving. Laying down and taking fire isn't a great proposition. It's one thing if you need to take cover, but you shouldn't be fighting for any extended period from prone.

Reactions: dial1911

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Not to mention that if you're ever in an actual gunfight, you need be moving. Laying down and taking fire isn't a great proposition. It's one thing if you need to take cover, but you shouldn't be fighting for any extended period from prone.

But the last thing you want when you're expected to be diving to prone every 5 yards assaulting a position is to land on your handgun and a dozen mags every time you go down.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I think at this point I'm leaning toward the 5.11 VTAC LBE vest, but still reviewing all of the pouch options. I'm thinking I'll start with a couple of double AR mag pouches, 2 pistol mag pouches, and pouches for a light, multi-tool and knife.

Might do a camelback and some other pouches later for a small first aid kit and such, but we'll see.

myke124

Hunter
Aug 9, 2015
dallas ga.
CS_001F_2014_recolor.png
A lot of people dont like Condor But I have not had any problems with this . Has 6 built-in mag pouches I can load 12, 22 round 22 cal. mags in the mag pouches (2 per) . Go look it up on Condor site .