School me on Load Bearing / MOLLE vests

American Revival Apparel Company

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I've been looking to pick up a LB vest for no other reason than to have something loaded up with necessities that I can grab in a pinch along with my BOB. I've been reading up on the different variations and manufacturers, and while I'm not looking for a plate carrier vest, I'm not necessarily opposed to them (doubt I'll ever buy plates, but who knows).

I've looked at many, but to keep this short, I'll list the 5.11 LBE, which seems to be on par with most other basic LB vests and then the cheaper versions, like UTG that come with a bunch of the attachments (mag pouches, cross-draw holster, gear pouches, etc), my questions are as follows:

1. Given that I don't plan to be running any courses, serving as a mercenary, playing SWAT or couch-diving regularly, will I be wasting money going with something more basic/lesser quality? I know, buy once, cry once and all that, but this is one of those items that will rarely get used, so I'm trying to balance out price vs overall use.

2. With regard to AR/AK mag pouches, what is your preference when it comes to the retention device? Do you prefer the bungee cord or Velcro flaps that cover the mags? Along with this question, are the "ranger" mag base plates helpful when you have gloves on? Are they worth adding to the mags that will stay in the vest, or just a gimmick?

3. Not to go full retard tacticool here, but are the drop-leg holster and pouches worth adding on to such a set-up? While I'd have a pistol on my hip, I'm not sure if a cross-draw on the vest or a drop-leg would be more beneficial; I have no experience with these, so I'm wondering how weight distribution and ease of use plays into your decision.

Here are the variations I have seen (just using these as examples, I'm not set on any particular brand at the moment). I realize UTG normally means cheap accessories / airsoft, but didn't know if that carried over to vests.

5.11 VTAC LBE (vest only), about $95-$110, then add a couple more hundred for ppouches, etc http://www.511tactical.com/vtac-lbe-tactical-vest.html
420974.jpg

UTG 547 Vest comes complete, $50-$60 : http://www.amazon.com/UTG-547-Enfor...=UTF8&qid=1438619526&sr=1-1&keywords=UTG+vest

71G%2Binfu1RL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks!

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Preppers vault has the utg in stock when I was there this past weekend. I tried it on and it seemed to fit fairly good and of decent quality for the price. With that being said that is the first one I tried on, so nothing to compare it to. But I am in the same market, but am looking more towards a plate carrier.

Reactions: Patryn

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Preppers vault has the utg in stock when I was there this past weekend. I tried it on and it seemed to fit fairly good and of decent quality for the price. With that being said that is the first one I tried on, so nothing to compare it to. But I am in the same market, but am looking more towards a plate carrier.
What is the size range / adjustment on those? I read a few reviews where they claim up to 60" in girth, but that seemed awfully large compared to the length of the adjustment straps I saw online?

I'm fat, so I do need a bigger vest, especially if wearing a coat

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Subbed

I'm leaning more towards a battle belt, but in for info. The utg doesn't look like you can move anything.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Subbed

I'm leaning more towards a battle belt, but in for info. The utg doesn't look like you can move anything.
Correct, the only thing you can move is the cross draw holster as it is Velcro attached to that area, however, that within itself has me concerned. I wonder how secure that is with a heavy pistol

ETA, I believe the storage compartment at the top left is also a Velcro base, so that could come off

Abishai

Tracker
Kalash Klub
Mar 30, 2015
GA
Zip code
Do they have these that double as plate carriers as well? What's a good brand /price

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
The one I tried on was a large and still had some room for adjustment. I am 6'2" around 230. I think they had a xl there, but don't quote me on that.

Reactions: JGMILLER

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Why not look at blue force gear rack minimus?

Not a plate carrier, but light and sturdy.
Like I said, I'm open to all options, just trying to get feedback on which way to go with the quality / construction and the other accoutrements

Reactions: madHatter

madHatter

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Fuckville
Like I said, I'm open to all options, just trying to get feedback on which way to go with the quality / construction and the other accoutrements
Ah, it is the one that I have been looking at. I don't need all the bells and whistles I am looking for something I can strap a few mags here and there and have it on in the event I need a grab and go.

From what I have read, the material is proprietary and is tough as nails under weight. Can be totally customized to the operators likeing and weighs a few ounces unloaded. Has quick releases and gets out on like a vest.

I am here as well for suggestions

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
my thought process is that those full vest style things would be harder to conceal under a jacket if I wanted to go more low key. the low profile chest rigs seems to be able to carry almost the same amount of stuff, would be easier to conceal, easier to put on over heavier clothing, and easier to stuff into a bag till needed. unless you really need to additional space higher on the chest the vest style seem like overkill.

that being said, I use alot of 5.11 stuff at work and it has always worked well for me. hell, im wearing 5.11 pants and belt right now while im doing yard work.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
my thought process is that those full vest style things would be harder to conceal under a jacket if I wanted to go more low key. the low profile chest rigs seems to be able to carry almost the same amount of stuff, would be easier to conceal, easier to put on over heavier clothing, and easier to stuff into a bag till needed. unless you really need to additional space higher on the chest the vest style seem like overkill.

that being said, I use alot of 5.11 stuff at work and it has always worked well for me. hell, im wearing 5.11 pants and belt right now while im doing yard work.
I've had nothing but good experiences with 5.11 clothing (call me a tac-tard or fan-boy, whatever, I don't care - pretty much all I wear since it lasts forever. I have a pair of Taclite Pro pants that have to be at least 6 years old with regular use and the only thing I've had to repair were the pocket linings.

I wear the 5.11 TDU shirts for work (when I have to get my hands dirty), yard-work and casual dress; again, the shit just lasts forever