School me on 922r

Faktory 47

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
FYI Class 3 is not a class of weapons, it's a tax class. People use NFA weapons and Class 3 interchangeably but one is a tax class and the other are firearms.

Is there a relevant difference?

Not trying to be a smartass, but isn't it that like saying "ad-valorem taxes apply to cars?"

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
Is there a relevant difference?

Not trying to be a smartass, but isn't it that like saying "ad-valorem taxes apply to cars?"

Ok you smartass

I get your point but then you can also say class 1 or class 2 weapons to refer to NFA weapons and confuse the hell out of everyone!

Class 1 - importers of NFA weapons
Class 2 - manufacturers of NFA weapons
Class 3 - dealers of NFA weapons

I'm a Class 3 SOT and its a tax I paid so I can deal in NFA weapons (Title 2 firearms).

You're the customer and if you're buying, we'll can call it a dildo for all I care

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
Ok you smartass

I get your point but then you can also say class 1 or class 2 weapons to refer to NFA weapons and confuse the hell out of everyone!

Class 1 - importers of NFA weapons
Class 2 - manufacturers of NFA weapons
Class 3 - dealers of NFA weapons

I'm a Class 3 SOT and its a tax I paid so I can deal in NFA weapons (Title 2 firearms).

You're the customer and if you're buying, we'll can call it a dildo for all I care
how much for 1 top of the line dildo please?

Sheps

Woodsman
Jun 24, 2015
www.youtube.com
Zip code
en5 1ae
922r is about import. So don't import a gun and you're good.

Seriously with all the options available to john q public there's no reason to ever worry about it. You will almost certainly be able to find a US made or already imported equivalent to anything you want.

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
922r is about import. So don't import a gun and you're good.

Seriously with all the options available to john q public there's no reason to ever worry about it. You will almost certainly be able to find a US made or already imported equivalent to anything you want.

Not really.

Throw the wrong combination of parts on a Mak-90, and you have violated 922r. Even attach a mag with the wrong floorplate and you have violated it.

It is cumbersome and silly as hell, but it does not just apply to import. You have technically "manufactured" a non-compliant rifle by doing any of those things.

And the whole line about there not being many prosecutions doesn't hold water at all. I know of a case where the IRS let people keep violating tax law for several years just to see how many victims they could swoop on. So rather than rounding up a couple of test cases, they went after a couple dozen.

And it is impossible to overstate how much you do NOT want to be in federal court. It is so expensive to fight, that about 95% of people just plead out.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Not really.

Throw the wrong combination of parts on a Mak-90, and you have violated 922r. Even attach a mag with the wrong floorplate and you have violated it.

It is cumbersome and silly as hell, but it does not just apply to import. You have technically "manufactured" a non-compliant rifle by doing any of those things.

And the whole line about there not being many prosecutions doesn't hold water at all. I know of a case where the IRS let people keep violating tax law for several years just to see how many victims they could swoop on. So rather than rounding up a couple of test cases, they went after a couple dozen.

And it is impossible to overstate how much you do NOT want to be in federal court. It is so expensive to fight, that about 95% of people just plead out.

Actually to throw a whole wrench in the mix, the ATF has stated very plainly that you are a maker not a manufacture when dealing with SBRs, I don't see how a MAK 90 would be any different. There is no way for me to manufacture a MAK 90, only make one.

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
Actually to throw a whole wrench in the mix, the ATF has stated very plainly that you are a maker not a manufacture when dealing with SBRs, I don't see how a MAK 90 would be any different. There is no way for me to manufacture a MAK 90, only make one.

Constructive possession.

Game
Point
Match.

And let's don't play like there isn't precedent with SBR. I think we can all agree that maker vs manufacturer doesn't matter a whit when it comes to a class III SBR. The absolutely have been convictions on that.

You want to fight that fight with 922r, my hat is off to you sir. I will pass.