School me on 922r

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store
Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
What do I need to know about this? How is it enforced? Google gives me a lot of different information so I figured I'd ask here

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
It is not enforced and it not illegal to be in possession of a non compliant 922r weapon, only to build one or import one.

Basically, don't rape, kill, pillage, and burn and the ATF won't coming looking for 922r violations.

It's really a non issue trumped up by blowhards on the internet.

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
It is not enforced and it not illegal to be in possession of a non compliant 922r weapon, only to build one or import one.

Basically, don't rape, kill, pillage, and burn and the ATF won't coming looking for 922r violations.

Cool. Thanks. What if I were to sbr something (I'm looking at a CZ Scorpion)? I assume that would be"building" something. Would it be important then because of the additional NFA paperwork?

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Cool. Thanks. What if I were to sbr something (I'm looking at a CZ Scorpion)? I assume that would be"building" something. Would it be important then because of the additional NFA paperwork?

I would never advise someone to intentionally take a weapon out of compliance. NFA or otherwise.

Reactions: boss_hawg and Shemp
Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
This is what I don't understand. You say it's not enforced and it only an issue because of "internet blowhards" but then you say don't take any weapons out of compliance...

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
This is what I don't understand. You say it's not enforced and it only an issue because of "internet blowhards" but then you say don't take any weapons out of compliance...
And there's the rub. It doesn't matter...but it does.

I ran in to this when I put together my M92 PAP SBR. I got all sort of conflicting information regarding 922(r) compliance and SBR's. Some said that the NFA status trumped 922(r) and other disagreed. I decided that for my piece of mind, I'd make sure that the rifle was 922(r) compliant. As NWS said, the reality of 922(r) compliance ever being checked is slim to none...but should you roll the dice and build something out of compliance? It's not a risk that I am willing to take.

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
And there's the rub. It doesn't matter...but it does.

I ran in to this when I put together my M92 PAP SBR. I got all sort of conflicting information regarding 922(r) compliance and SBR's. Some said that the NFA status trumped 922(r) and other disagreed. I decided that for my piece of mind, I'd make sure that the rifle was 922(r) compliant. As NWS said, the reality of 922(r) compliance ever being checked is slim to none...but should you roll the dice and build something out of compliance? It's not a risk that I am willing to take.
What did you change? I'm doing an m85 sbr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
What did you change? I'm doing an m85 sbr.

Nothing that I wouldn't have changed anyway. I swapped out the FCG with a TAPCO, replaced the buttstock, pistol grip, furniture, and added a muzzle device. The only thing that cost me money that I wouldn't have spent was the buttstock. I had to get the USA vcrsion and it was about $80 more than the Bulgarian version. Everything is something I would have swapped anyways, just had to make sure it swapped for a USA part.

Also, here's a good worksheet to check your build.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
Nothing that I wouldn't have changed anyway. I swapped out the FCG with a TAPCO, replaced the buttstock, pistol grip, furniture, and added a muzzle device. The only thing that cost me money that I wouldn't have spent was the buttstock. I had to get the USA vcrsion and it was about $80 more than the Bulgarian version. Everything is something I would have swapped anyways, just had to make sure it swapped for a USA part.

Also, here's a good worksheet to check your build.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance
That's what I was thinking. I've done it before on Saiga conversions I was just wondering specifically on this pistol.

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
That's what I was thinking. I've done it before on Saiga conversions I was just wondering specifically on this pistol.

If you've done a Saiga, it's the exact same thing minus relocating the trigger guard.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
They are going to provide a kit in addition to the stock to make it compliant. It should be very straightforward.

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia

This is entirely incorrect advice.

Just because there are not many prosecutions, doesn't mean there won't be......

If the ATF can get away with "constructive possession" of a class III weapon, they can get away with anything.

(And really-who can afford to be the "nanner-nanner boo-boo" guy in federal court?) Finding out whether or not you are right costs 100k..... And if you lose, you go to "federal pound me in the ass penetentiary" for a decade.

No thanks! Just comply with 922r.

Last edited:

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code

If the ATF can get away with "constructive possession" of a class III weapon, they can get away with anything.

(And really-who can afford to be the "nanner-nanner boo-boo" guy in federal court?) Finding out whether or not you are right costs 100k..... And if you lose, you go to "federal pound me in the ass penetentiary" for a decade.

A. Read the rest of my posts.

B. The atf can get away with whatever the fuck they want up to and including murdering you or your family.

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code

FYI Class 3 is not a class of weapons, it's a tax class. People use NFA weapons and Class 3 interchangeably but one is a tax class and the other are firearms.