Ruger "American" in .243...

American Revival Apparel Company

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
From all the reviews I have seen they are great, inexpensive, and come with the Ruger customer service. I was thinking about getting one in the 7mm 08. I had a hard time finding one through my FFL here in western NY so I purchased a Savage FX11 with a 3x9 Nikon scope, left handed model. It is a tackdriver although I have only put through 25 rounds. I have packed it up pending my retirement and move to Maine the end of June. I have had it with NY taxes and archiac recently passed gun laws. :mad:

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Ok..pulled the trigger. Amazing rifle!. I put a vortex Diamondback 4-12X40 dead-hold scope on it...and I are happy. I don't go deer hunting any more..and this should work great for pop guts, and coyotes. Use...about 95% at the range. Got 2" groups at 100 yards..I'm good with that. 20 rounds of 100 grain for $18.95 federals...Not as much as i expected. The rifle, the scope,rings,(mounted) and 2 boxes of rounds $625.00 out the door. Not too bad on the pkg.

M

mukwah

Congrats Craig!! Extremely nice rifle! How about some pics!

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
framedcraig1 said:
Ok..pulled the trigger. Amazing rifle!. I put a vortex Diamondback 4-12X40 dead-hold scope on it...and I are happy. I don't go deer hunting any more..and this should work great for pop guts, and coyotes. Use...about 95% at the range. Got 2" groups at 100 yards..I'm good with that. 20 rounds of 100 grain for $18.95 federals...Not as much as i expected. The rifle, the scope,rings,(mounted) and 2 boxes of rounds $625.00 out the door. Not too bad on the pkg.

Not bad at all. I ran into my first .243 Winchester Caliber rifle back in the early 80's. It was a popular round for elusive predators and small game. Some great distance shots around 200-300 yards where a .22LR wasn't enough for the bang.
Once you get it really broke in with that scope it can be quite a hand full. Longer ranges but less recoil. Now that I've another outdoor range to go to, she's on the list to get a future range trip. It's been sitting around since the 90's and long over due.

Congrats on the purchase.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
rayzer007 said:
framedcraig1 said:
..and I are happy.

If you is happy we is happy. How's Maycin doing?

Ray
Maycin is doing okay Ray. Her platlet count has been going up, and is feeling quite a bit better. It is an up and down deal...but thank The Lord its up for now. Thanks for asking ray. ;)

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Here's the rifle and the scope.

IMG_20130511_201955_532_zpsa720f13e.jpg

And here's a pic of what TTP does to your arms (Maycin)

IMG_20130509_193245_251_zps6fb9cd12.jpg

M

mukwah

Man, just when I thought I had all my gun buying done for a while! Gonna have to resist the urge!

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Do NOT go near this rifle Muk...I repeat do not....oh just go buy the sucker. Most are getting the 30-06,,, but I'm loving this 243. What a shooter. Light, great to hold and to shoot.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Second gun I ever bought with my own money was a Ruger M77 in 6mm, which is very close to the 243. As I recall back in the mid to late 70's they made the M77 in both calibers. I think I chose the 6mm because dad said to. Great calibers, both of them. Quite a bit of punch, good distance, and light recoil. Enjoy!

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
I think that the downrange accuracy is what I was looking for the most in this rifle. With 100 grain soft nose.. it has pretty good kick, but it seems very easy to handle, and is great for getting the next round into the chamber and downrange. Going to try a couple of boxes of softer rounds to see how they fly. My main concern is to get the scope dialed in perfectly. Great scope. should be fairly easy to get er done!!

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I know you know this, but once you find the ammo or reload recipe you like you will then need to really dial in the scope. Small changes in ammo selection can lead to pretty big differences out past 100 yards.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
NewEnglandArms243WinUtilityRifle1wosn.jpg

I'm going to have to drag out the old .243 Cal Prairie Dog Rifle that's been a safe queen too long and see if she still knows how to dance.

With a Savage Axis XP .308 Win, using a American Eagle 150 gr FMJ Boat Tail, at 200 Yards it was dropping 3.6" and 300 Yards 13.5" I bore sighted the scope at 50 yards and the folks at the factory got it right. A Cauldwell "The Rock" shooting rest, sitting on a table. helps.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Slowhand said:

I'm going to have to drag out the old .243 Cal Prairie Dog Rifle that's been a safe queen too long and see if she still knows how to dance.

I had to look that one up. It doesn't seem that the Handi Rifle (either by New England Firearms or H&R) is made in .243 any more. I'd say that you have a real gem there - single shot, no feeding action or magazines to mess with. I like it.

I did notice in reading the current manual that thou shalt not dry fire the Handi Rifle. Thought I'd pass that along.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
SkipD said:
Slowhand said:

I had to look that one up. It doesn't seem that the Handi Rifle (either by New England Firearms or H&R) is made in .243 any more. I'd say that you have a real gem there - single shot, no feeding action or magazines to mess with. I like it.

I did notice in reading the current manual that thou shalt not dry fire the Handi Rifle. Thought I'd pass that along.

243rifle.jpg

Thanks for the tip. The last time she got fired was back in 1998 but has been well kept for 30 years. With being a single shot one just has to pick the shot rather carefully. Hardly an expensive rifle, she's a retired working girl.