Remington lost their damn minds

GA Firing Line

georgia357

Woodsman
Jul 28, 2015
Lexington, Ga
Zip code
:jaw: Dang, whats' so special about that rifle that makes it worth $6,000? It don't matter, they'll probably sell all they want.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Most people who can afford to go on a Bighorn Sheep hunt have more money than sense anyways so they'll buy the rifle just for the name. It does look pretty cool though.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I don't know.... Proof research barrel, titanium action, Timney trigger, Manners stock, badger bolt upgrades, in a 6.5 Creedmoor? I'm not saying I'd drop $6k on it. But.... A lot of sheep hunters wouldn't bat an eye at dropping that much on a lightweight rifle they can count on to make possibly their only shot. A chance at a sheep hunt is very rare treat most will never get even once. And the ones that go multiple times have enough money to where Rifle price is nothing they're worried about.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I don't know.... Proof research barrel, titanium action, Timney trigger, Manners stock, badger bolt upgrades, in a 6.5 Creedmoor? I'm not saying I'd drop $6k on it. But.... A lot of sheep hunters wouldn't bat an eye at dropping that much on a lightweight rifle they can count on to make possibly their only shot. A chance at a sheep hunt is very rare treat most will never get even once. And the ones that go multiple times have enough money to where Rifle price is nothing they're worried about.
I get that some have that kind of money for a rifle. But if I were going to drop 6k on a rifle I would be buying something from a custom gun builder. This is only $500 more.
https://www.proofresearch.com/the-products/rifles/summit/

You can also have custom guns from GA precision or accuracy international for less money.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
Meh. I get the price. Lots of quality components and materials. That's not the rifle I would buy with 6k, but understand the costs and price.

Reactions: Rwjeter

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
Have AO/SAC/APA/LRI/so on drop a Proof barrel in a Stiller or Deviant action and add a good chassis and your are at that price or more. And not getting Ti. Although I'd still go the custom gun route.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Like a yacht owner buying a $20K GPS system when a handheld would do... I can see their market. And I'm sure they'll sell a few.

Hell, for that matter one of the new vice presidents may have just taken up sheep hunting and decided that this was a good product to build for the few hundred customers in this country.

Reactions: ReservoirDawg10

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Stock is $650.
Barrel is $850.

I'd bet a similar GA Precision Gun would be around $5,000.

I'm sure you could get a custom for less. I didn't know the prices on the stock or barrel though- I don't play in the high end rifle game. Best I've got is an old Remmy 700 in .308. Or maybe the Tikka. Not sure which is really nicer- the Remmy has more aftermarket parts.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Have AO/SAC/APA/LRI/so on drop a Proof barrel in a Stiller or Deviant action and add a good chassis and your are at that price or more. And not getting Ti. Although I'd still go the custom gun route.
Yeah but going that route your getting a custom gun. I just can't see paying custom gun prices for a gun from Remington, no matter what the parts are.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
I'm sure you could get a custom for less. I didn't know the prices on the stock or barrel though- I don't play in the high end rifle game. Best I've got is an old Remmy 700 in .308. Or maybe the Tikka. Not sure which is really nicer- the Remmy has more aftermarket parts.
And still have to factor in turning the barrel, cutting it down and threading it and so on. It isn't a cheap endeavor anywhere you go. The price is probably inflated still, but not absurd. Guessing action is 1600 plus as well as 250+ for bottom metal. Bedding the action. Is another couple hundred. Another couple hundred for cerakote. Its not a cheap endeavor.

Hell, not counting the scope, bipod and such, I have over 3k in my 6.5 bolt gun, and it's built off a standard Remington 700 action. Add almost another grand if I went Stiller Tac 30 or Defiant. The PR barrels are also about 500 more than the Bartlein on mine.

Reactions: hseII and dial1911

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
Marketing 101... find a specific market where you know you'll at least sell a few...say it is custom, then put decent parts on it and mark it up 300%... Oh and if you really want to make sales, then say it is a limited edition. Trust me, it works. Especially if you already have the product and won't cost much to produce.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Not with that cheap ass looking stock!
Nothing in the world is cheap about a Manners stock. If you handle one you'll understand why. Next time I'm out towards Milledgeville I'll bring my CZ and let you try it. Might be a little awkward for your tiny ass self. I'll help you if you can't reach the trigger though. :wink:

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Also, you have to remember this is MSRP we're talking here. I like it. A lot actually. If I were a sheep hunter and had stupid money, I'd look into it. And that is their target market. They know my broke ass won't buy it. But if they decide to make one and 22 Long rifle hit me up. :D Right @Red Dawn ?

Last edited:

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Heck yeah it's all about shot placement even with a 22. You can't loose with 22's.