Recommendations for a powder scale

GA Firing Line

jjones

Scout
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle, WA
Could you folks please recommend a powder scale in the $100-$150 range give or take?
Been reading a lot of reviews and am getting mixed signals on a lot of models.
Only reloading handgun ammo at this time. Thanks in advance!

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Do you want a simple manually operated scale or something coupled to an automated powder feeding system? There are lots of options available.

jjones

Scout
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle, WA
I had an Ohaus beam style a friend gave me but it would not zero. I think I would prefer digital with the potential to possibly couple but am more concerned with a nice balance between accuracy and price.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
If all you want is a scale that you manually feed powder to (as opposed to an electronically coupled feeder), most of the name-brand scales would probably do pretty well for you. I have not purchased an electronic scale in at least ten years, so I don't have any information on currently sold products. This scale by Pact is today's version of the one that I have. The one I have has the RCBS label on it but was made by Pact.

One thing that's an absolute must: You must have an absolutely stable and vibration-free work surface for an electronic scale. I have a reasonably solid workbench for my loading equipment, but if I turn on either of my tumblers on the bench my scale goes nuts and needs to be rezeroed every few minutes. A mechanical balance type scale can work where electronic ones may not.

I'm curious as to why you cannot zero the mechanical balance scale that you have. Do you realize that those scales usually have an adjustable foot for zeroing?

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
jjones said:
I had an Ohaus beam style a friend gave me but it would not zero. I think I would prefer digital with the potential to possibly couple but am more concerned with a nice balance between accuracy and price.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

I am not an expert by any means, but my limited experience with the digital scales was less than great. The slightest bump caused it to go crazy and have to be readjusted. Unless you are a sniper shooting for kill shots 600 yards away, I would go with a simple beam scale from a reputable company. RCBS makes a good one and it does not cost an arm and a leg.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
SkipD said:
I'm curious as to why you cannot zero the mechanical balance scale that you have. Do you realize that those scales usually have an adjustable foot for zeroing?

If it is the cheap version of the beam scale that Lee includes with many of their kits, it is not much count (and that is being polite). Ask me how I know. ;D

jjones

Scout
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle, WA
SkipD said:

I am curious as to why it cannot zero as well and of course am open to suggestions. I did not realize that it had an ajustable foot at 1st and thought that was also the problem but after playing with it for a few hours I gave up. Not sure why a beam scale like that would not zero.

jjones

Scout
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle, WA
bigdogdaddy said:
If it is the cheap version of the beam scale that Lee includes with many of their kits, it is not much count (and that is being polite). Ask me how I know. ;D

It is a Ohaus for sure. Looks just like the current model but its is probably at least 15 yrs old.

Lets hear the story about "how you know"........

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
jjones said:
I did not realize that it had an ajustable foot at 1st and thought that was also the problem but after playing with it for a few hours I gave up. Not sure why a beam scale like that would not zero.

There are several possible reasons that you cannot zero the scale.

The pivots may be damaged, dirty, or corroded. Carefully inspect the knife edges and the "V" slots they pivot in for damage, dirt, or corrosion.

The pan may not be the one supplied with the scale and could be too light or too heavy. Depending on how far and what direction the zero is off, you may be able to adjust the pan weight to make it work.

My Lyman beam scale has a pivot lifter to take the load off the pivots for storage. If that is touching the beam, then the beam cannot move normally.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
jjones said:
bigdogdaddy said:

It is a Ohaus for sure. Looks just like the current model but its is probably at least 15 yrs old.

Lets hear the story about "how you know"........

With the cheap Lee budget model you can weigh the same charge 3 times and get a different reading 2 of the 3 times........or all 3.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
J, I have an additional thought that came to me while reloading some .223 stuff about an hour ago.

Make sure that - for any type of powder scale you go to - you get several calibrated test weights. Some digital scales, including the RCBS/Pact scale that I use, come with specific weights that are used for calibration procedures. However, they are both MUCH heavier than any powder loads that I ever use. Thus, I have a variety of test weights that I've obtained over the years that let me test accuracy and repeatability with my digital scale and my beam scale.

jjones

Scout
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle, WA
SkipD said:
Thus, I have a variety of test weights that I've obtained over the years that let me test accuracy and repeatability with my digital scale and my beam scale.

That is a wonderful recommendation! Thank you Sir.

As for the Pact that you recommended, this is a prime example of the contradictory reviews that I am seeing on so many sites (MidwayUSA) in this case. Almost as many 1 star reviews as 5 star.

After a bunch of reading today, kinda leaning towards this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/415607/rcbs-model-1010-magnetic-powder-scale-1010-grain-capacity

What do you all think?

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
While the scale you link to is probably a very good beam balance scale, you will find in short order that a beam balance scale is not ideal for the task. In the "olden days", they were all we had available. However, measuring an unknown value is an extremely tedious process with beam balance scales. You have to zero the unit, guess at your weight and move the weights on the beam, make a measurement, move the weights a bit, make another measurement, etc., etc.

With a digital scale, once it's set up and zeroed (something that must be done with any scale, though with a digital scale it typically only requires pushing a button) than all you need to do is put the unknown weight in the pan and, after a little time for stabilization, read the value.

As I mentioned before, you'll want a firm vibration-free surface for any scale (but especially for a digital scale) to get the best results with them. I have my scale on the same bench as my press, but I don't make weight measurements and use the press in between the measurements. I do all my powder weighing in a work flow session that doesn't require using the press.

The bottom line is that I think you'd be a lot more satisfied with a modern digital scale. I suspect that many of the negative reviews that you've seen may result from the person doing the review not really knowing much about scales and how to properly use them.

I used to occasionally do maintenance work (repair, cleaning, calibration, etc.) on precision laboratory scales and balances during my career in industrial process control systems (I'm retired after 39 years in the business), so I have a good idea what makes them work and what's needed (like the solid vibration-free surface) to make them perform up to spec.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I find reading reviews to be a bit of a crap shoot. It seems that often the people that write the reviews are the people that love the item or hate it. The people that just find it functional and ok don't tend to run to the keyboard.

jjones

Scout
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle, WA
Skip,
I would much prefer the digital as well but just want something that I know is accurate. Did like the Pact that was suggested.
Your expertise and experience in the field is more than appreciated.
A friend of mine had an accident with bad reloads that his friend made; so needless to say I have more than a healthy fear of overcharging.

Bigdog,
Your right about the reviews. I tend to read a little too much into them. Glad to have a forum like this where strait up people can give some good advise and remind us about the possible pit falls of reviews.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
jjones said:
Skip, I would much prefer the digital as well but just want something that I know is accurate. Did like the Pact that was suggested.

Your expertise and experience in the field is more than appreciated.

A friend of mine had an accident with bad reloads that his friend made; so needless to say I have more than a healthy fear of overcharging.

Quite honestly, I think that a digital would be the best choice for you by far. It would be far easier to make a mistake using a balance beam scale than a digital scale.

As far as accuracy is concerned, if the zero of my Pact scale is steady over time, the accuracy (measured using NBS Class S or ANSI/ASTM Class 1 test weights) is within 1 least significant digit (±0.1 grain) over the range that I test it occasionally.

D

Denny4kids

I use a Hornady auto charge powder dispenser. It came in my single stage press kit. I load a tray with 50 prepped pieces of brass and get into a rhythm. Fill a case, move the funnel. It's very handy, you can do other operations and when you hear the beep the powder is dispensed. A little pricey @ $200 to $250. I like mine. A friend borrowed it and found the accuracy was great. He tested against his triple beam and a jewelry scale. Den

Hormady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Dispenser

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
I went through the search thing for hours on scales. Ended up with the Cabellas 1500. All I can say is it has worked fine. I really like it. Besides reloading, I shoot a lot of airguns, and have a large number of different Pellets with varying weights. I made a list of the weights and always use them to check the scale. The scale is always on the money. I also have no problem with trickling. Suits me just fine.

Just wish I could actually do some reloading. Seems the ammo shortage knows no boundaries and has done in primers etc.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
That scale should do nicely, Dave.

What you might want to find is a couple of test weights that are in the range of what you'll actually be measuring in the future. Since you probably won't find laboratory weights calibrated for grains, the math you want to use is:
  • 500mg (1/2 gram) = 7.7161792 grains
  • 1 gram =15.432358 grains
  • 5 grams = 77.161792 grains
  • 10 grams = 154.32358 grains
The weights I listed would be useful and should be available.