Priming tools

Faktory 47

Herk

Hunter
Mar 16, 2017
Colorado
Zip code
I'm getting back into handloading after being out of it for about 10 years. When I used to handload I would use a Lee Auto Prime tool and it worked great. It appears that Lee discontinued the Auto Prime and replaced it with something that is universally reviled in every review I've read. Reviews of other hand priming tools are lukewarm on the whole.

I stumbled across a Lyman Ram Prime system that seems like a decent way to go and is priced right:

Has anyone used this kind of system? Would you talk me into (or out of) buying one?

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net

this is all I will ever use

Same one I have... awesome for off press priming.

Thre only issue I've seen with the priming systems on single stage presses is that if you get a primer stuck before it fully sets, your whole operation is shut down.

Reactions: Herk

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
I’ve only ever primed on my Dillon 550. I just haven’t seen a need to do it any other way. So, what am I missing? What is the appeal of priming by hand?

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
I'm getting back into handloading after being out of it for about 10 years. When I used to handload I would use a Lee Auto Prime tool and it worked great. It appears that Lee discontinued the Auto Prime and replaced it with something that is universally reviled in every review I've read. Reviews of other hand priming tools are lukewarm on the whole.

I stumbled across a Lyman Ram Prime system that seems like a decent way to go and is priced right:

Has anyone used this kind of system? Would you talk me into (or out of) buying one?

The RCBS handheld is what I use. I loved my old Auto Prime, but it broke and now no great options are available.

The RCBS takes some getting used to, but you'll find it's similar, if a little slower.

Reactions: Herk

Herk

Hunter
Mar 16, 2017
Colorado
Zip code
I’ve only ever primed on my Dillon 550. I just haven’t seen a need to do it any other way. So, what am I missing? What is the appeal of priming by hand?
In my case, it's that I'm trying to use what I've got: a Lee single-stage. Maybe one day I'll step up to a progressive press but right now I've got what I've got.

Reactions: dial1911 and Grunk

Herk

Hunter
Mar 16, 2017
Colorado
Zip code
The RCBS handheld is what I use. I loved my old Auto Prime, but it broke and now no great options are available.

The RCBS takes some getting used to, but you'll find it's similar, if a little slower.

It looks like RCBS has two versions, one that takes shell holders and one that doesn't need shell holders. Do you prefer one or the other?