Price vs. Convenience

Faktory 47

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I just had this discussion with some friends earlier in the week in regard to alcohol pricing, but it applies across the board.
I have a friend that drives 30 minutes to a liquor store to save about $6 on a bottle of scotch. I can buy Laphroaig 10 for about $49/bottle, he can get it for $42. The close store is a bit on the higher side, but I can get to the store, buy the booze and be sipping it before he even gets to the liquor store. I hate sitting in traffic, and it's $6 well spent imo. He'd drive an hour to save $10.
I'd happily pay quite a bit extra just to avoid having to be out fighting the public.

Reactions: Buckeye76

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
I don't have enough time to drive far to shop. I usually hit up grocery stores after 9pm. That said, I try and coordinate my shopping with times I pass the cheaper location(Buford Hwy farmers market)

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
30 minutes huh? That's like 5 miles away in your neck of the woods isn't it?
Yeah, almost exactly if traffic isn't too bad. I hate sitting in traffic. I'll happily pay a small premium to walk to Ale Yeah for some beer instead of fight traffic for 45 minutes to save a couple bucks.

H

Hoss

Yeah, almost exactly if traffic isn't too bad. I hate sitting in traffic. I'll happily pay a small premium to walk to Ale Yeah for some beer instead of fight traffic for 45 minutes to save a couple bucks.

I figured as much. When I went to pickup that drywall from Tatgun it took us 30 minutes to go 4 miles. That's how long it takes me to get to my doorstep from the closest interstate and it's 28 miles.

H

Hoss

Our little town has two liquor stores. They are literally 300 yards apart. Two brothers own them and compete against each other.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I figured as much. When I went to pickup that drywall from Tatgun it took us 30 minutes to go 4 miles. That's how long it takes me to get to my doorstep from the closest interstate and it's 28 miles.
Yeah, it took me 12 minutes to get to school when I was in high school, and it was 15 miles away.

Here in Decatur in the last 4 years it's gotten a lot worse. Very high school rankings, and excellent neighborhoods have increased our population a huge amount. Freaking mommies with double wide strollers, and lots more traffic.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Yeah, it took me 12 minutes to get to school when I was in high school, and it was 15 miles away.

Here in Decatur in the last 4 years it's gotten a lot worse. Very high school rankings, and excellent neighborhoods have increased our population a huge amount. Freaking mommies with double wide strollers, and lots more traffic.
I hate when the damn mommies start moving in and driving property values up. Who do they think they are?

DaBlock

Woodsman
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 31, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Zip code
I'm amazed when people will drive a mile to a QT to save .25 on bottled Coke vs the place they are standing in that has a drink cooler.

Them: "But it's cheaper!!11"
Me: "So your time is worthless? What are you doing with your life? Is this what you've become? You used to be cool man? You were gonna be a rock star.....man"

This is probably why I don't have many friends.

Reactions: Hoss

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I hate when the damn mommies start moving in and driving property values up. Who do they think they are?
They're a bunch of parents that put their kids at the center of the universe, for them, and anyone around them.

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
I deal with this every time I go to the Japanese Embassy. I know that I can buy ginger ale for $1 less at the grocery store....but it's there, on the shelf, and I don't have to make an extra stop.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
They're a bunch of parents that put their kids at the center of the universe, for them, and anyone around them.
That's where things are headed. They can't accept defeat, or let their kids experience loss, humiliation, pain, failure, etc. that's why the world is filling up with the entitlement mentality.

H

Hoss

I really have to plan ahead out where I live. For instance, the only legit hardware store within 25 miles of me is Jasper County Lumber. They close at 5:00pm Mon-Fri and 12:00p on Saturday. It sucks to be working on a project and need to run to the hardware store to get more nails or screws only to realize it's after noon on Saturday or anytime on Sunday. A few of the gas stations have capitalized on this and have decent hardware sections with pretty much everything you could need except lumber. Potts and Larry's both have PVS piping, connectors, screw and nail bins full to the brim, plumbing supplies, and other items you would need for minor home repair. I can get white Red Devil outdoor paint at the Family Dollar for $16 but that's the only color they carry. If I need something more I have to drive to Home Depot in Covington and that's about 30 miles away.

I can buy ammo at the gas station though.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I deal with this every time I go to the Japanese Embassy. I know that I can buy ginger ale for $1 less at the grocery store....but it's there, on the shelf, and I don't have to make an extra stop.
You're just there for the lady boys.

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
You're just there for the lady boys.
Ssshhhh.....jpeg

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I really have to plan ahead out where I live. For instance, the only legit hardware store within 25 miles of me is Jasper County Lumber. They close at 5:00pm Mon-Fri and 12:00p on Saturday. It sucks to be working on a project and need to run to the hardware store to get more nails or screws only to realize it's after noon on Saturday or anytime on Sunday. A few of the gas stations have capitalized on this and have decent hardware sections with pretty much everything you could need except lumber. Potts and Larry's both have PVS piping, connectors, screw and nail bins full to the brim, plumbing supplies, and other items you would need for minor home repair. I can get white Red Devil outdoor paint at the Family Dollar for $16 but that's the only color they carry. If I need something more I have to drive to Home Depot in Covington and that's about 30 miles away.

I can buy ammo at the gas station though.
I remember going to Potts and Larry's as a kid. Larry's was one of my grandpas old man hangouts.

Last edited:

Buckeye76

Frontiersman
Mar 27, 2015
Georgia
I just had this discussion with some friends earlier in the week in regard to alcohol pricing, but it applies across the board.
I have a friend that drives 30 minutes to a liquor store to save about $6 on a bottle of scotch. I can buy Laphroaig 10 for about $49/bottle, he can get it for $42. The close store is a bit on the higher side, but I can get to the store, buy the booze and be sipping it before he even gets to the liquor store. I hate sitting in traffic, and it's $6 well spent imo. He'd drive an hour to save $10.
I'd happily pay quite a bit extra just to avoid having to be out fighting the public.

Have to say, I agree. I am w1lling to pay more for my ease of access. This applies to many things for me.

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
PA has some fucked up alcohol laws. I usually drive to Jersey and stock up. That's the only good thing that state's good for.