Polymer Coated Bullets?

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Herk

Hunter
Mar 16, 2017
Colorado
Zip code
I'm getting back into reloading after about a 12 year hiatus and looking at what components are out there. Fortunately, I own a 10mm which doesn't seem to be overwhelmed with demand like 9mm is. It looks like cast lead bullets are the cheapest that you can get but for about 5% (or so) more money you can get polymer coated bullets. What's the advantage of these? Easier cleaning of the gun? Less lead in the air when you shoot? Something else?

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I like the ploy coat. Fingers stay much cleaner than moly coated. Neat colors. Coating is supposed to stay intact through firing so it reduces leading. Generally lower lead exposure.

Now, I have had some with an overly thick coating that made them hard to crimp, or completely fail a chamber check.

Herk

Hunter
Mar 16, 2017
Colorado
Zip code
I like the ploy coat. Fingers stay much cleaner than moly coated. Neat colors. Coating is supposed to stay intact through firing so it reduces leading. Generally lower lead exposure.

Now, I have had some with an overly thick coating that made them hard to crimp, or completely fail a chamber check.
Do you have a preferred manufacturer (for coated or non)?

Reactions: dial1911