Pictures from the mini farm (hobby farm) (pix heavy)

Faktory 47

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Honest question (and I'm a farm kid) what's a miniature cow?

Reactions: sam

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Jul 4, 2015
Newnan
www.facebook.com
Zip code
Honest question (and I'm a farm kid) what's a miniature cow?

According to the Miniature blah blah blah of America; cattle that are no taller than 32" at the shoulder (at least I think that is the definition). Ours are Belfair, which is a cross between a Dexter (old world breed) and mini Jersey bull. At the turn of the 20th century, the average bull was somewhere around 1000-1200 pounds w/ the cow being a couple of hundred pounds lighter. They avg somewhere around 3-5 gallons of milk a day; approx what the homesteaders needed.

Reactions: Dixietoolz and sam

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
According to the Miniature blah blah blah of America; cattle that are no taller than 32" at the shoulder (at least I think that is the definition). Ours are Belfair, which is a cross between a Dexter (old world breed) and mini Jersey bull. At the turn of the 20th century, the average bull was somewhere around 1000-1200 pounds w/ the cow being a couple of hundred pounds lighter. They avg somewhere around 3-5 gallons of milk a day; approx what the homesteaders needed.
Jeez, I've never heard of such a thing. Pretty cool.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
There are actually a number of miniature breeds around. Some of which have been bred down in size, such as the mini Jersey, and others that are just small cows like the Zebu.
We were boring. We had Angus, Charolais, Herefords and Black Baldies. Sometimes the occasional Holstein bucket calf or ten.