Zip code
Last edited:

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I bought one of their uppers. I was a top of the line 308 upper. It shot about a pie plate at 100 yards. It was complete rubbish.
Damn. Ok, thanks for that man. I think I'm going to go with the Troy then. The lack of detail on their barrels did concern me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bypass

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I've built off a Aero stripped upper before. It had a nice finish a perfect fit to the barrel. I'd definitely buy another, but never bought a factory built upper.

Reactions: Laufen

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I've never had any problems with AP parts in a number of my builds. Everything was nice and tight.

Having said that...their barrels have never seemed to be any better or worse compared to other mil spec arrangements. I've never shot these builds from a true 'benchrest' setup but with a bipod at 50 yards, I was getting roughly one inch groups. I would think this would roughly correspond to 2" groups at 100 yards but experts may correct me if I'm wrong. Also, the shooter (me) may have had a bit of a hand (pun intended) in causing deviation from the gold-standard 1 moa. For what it's worth, on the same outing I was putting 6.8 rounds through the same hole with a boutique barrel - though that upper had an optic with greater magnification (9x vs. 6x).

If you are looking for a precision long-range setup, you may want to look for a boutique barrel and matched bolt vs. an AP built upper.

In my ranking system, I put AP on par with PSA as a solid mid-tier mfg in terms of value at a respectable price and reliable function.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I've never had any problems with AP parts in a number of my builds. Everything was nice and tight.

Having said that...their barrels have never seemed to be any better or worse compared to other mil spec arrangements. I've never shot these builds from a true 'benchrest' setup but with a bipod at 50 yards, I was getting roughly one inch groups. I would think this would roughly correspond to 2" groups at 100 yards but experts may correct me if I'm wrong. Also, the shooter (me) may have had a bit of a hand (pun intended) in causing deviation from the gold-standard 1 moa. For what it's worth, on the same outing I was putting 6.8 rounds through the same hole with a boutique barrel - though that upper had an optic with greater magnification (9x vs. 6x).

If you are looking for a precision long-range setup, you may want to look for a boutique barrel and matched bolt vs. an AP built upper.

In my ranking system, I put AP on par with PSA as a solid mid-tier mfg in terms of value at a respectable price and reliable function.
Yeah, my Spikes was getting sub-moa at 100 without a free floated bbl. We'll see. Shit I'll probably end up selling it in a month.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
You can't expect any milspec type barrel like any CHF or Chrome lined to shoot any better than 2 moa. They are built for high round counts, not precision. You can always get lucky, like you did with the spikes, and happen upon a barrel/round combo that does better.

There's a company called ballistics advantage that has a 1moa guarantee in all their barrels. They are reasonably priced, lower than the higher end milspec barrels you can find like DD and BCM. I haven't built one, but my next will probably come from there.

I build a gun with a Bergara barrel, shoots about 1 moa with PMC, and less than 1/2 with a tuned handload. It cost about $175 from integrity arms.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
You can't expect any milspec type barrel like any CHF or Chrome lined to shoot any better than 2 moa. They are built for high round counts, not precision. You can always get lucky, like you did with the spikes, and happen upon a barrel/round combo that does better.

There's a company called ballistics advantage that has a 1moa guarantee in all their barrels. They are reasonably priced, lower than the higher end milspec barrels you can find like DD and BCM. I haven't built one, but my next will probably come from there.

I build a gun with a Bergara barrel, shoots about 1 moa with PMC, and less than 1/2 with a tuned handload. It cost about $175 from integrity arms.
I'm hoping to get lucky and at least be able to shoot 1 moa with my heavier Hog loads. The spikes groups those around 1.25 at 100.
Honestly, I just like sitting on the bench and shooting. As long as it shoots fairly well I'll be happy. I'm not competing.

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I'm hoping to get lucky and at least be able to shoot 1 moa with my heavier Hog loads. The spikes groups those around 1.25 at 100.
Honestly, I just like sitting on the bench and shooting. As long as it shoots fairly well I'll be happy. I'm not competing.

My spike's carbine is minute-of-clay-pigeon accurate all day long. I can generally hit the whole ones on the 100 yard berm and then shoot at the pieces awhile longer.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
I have one of their lowers, and its pretty nice. Assembled WAY nicer than the Noveske shit I bought earlier.

Woodstock

Tracker
Jun 29, 2015
Zip code
No experience with aero at all, but thats not going to stop me giving a highly valued opinion on them.......

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Yep, but there are people who have waited a lot longer.
What do you think of that LT trigger?

If I'm not mistaken, Aero bought out Ballistic Advantage last year.