Open Carry Idiot

Howard Law

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I 100% support the right to open carry and think we should be allowed to do it freely. That said, I think if you open carry, you just crave the attention.

I've seen a couple arguments here where many of the keyboard commandos argue that they are 100% situationally aware 100% of the time. Impossible.

I've only ever heard of two cases of this happening, I'm sure there's more, but it's rare enough that it wouldn't stop me from open carrying. What stops me from open carrying is that i'd rather have the element of surprise than all the unnecessary attention.

120 Acres

Hunter
May 16, 2016
Long, OK
Zip code
I like open carry because I no longer have to worry about having my gun seen when reaching for the wallet or something. Oh, that and sitting out openly in a vehicle when driving.

I'm not one to slap it on my hip and go grocery shopping. I have gone down to the local store to get gas or something when I've been out on the land. Dont bother hiding it.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I like open carry because I no longer have to worry about having my gun seen when reaching for the wallet or something. Oh, that and sitting out openly in a vehicle when driving.

I'm not one to slap it on my hip and go grocery shopping. I have gone down to the local store to get gas or something when I've been out on the land. Dont bother hiding it.
At the range or on your own property is one thing, standing in line at McDonald's with your back to the crowd, wallet in one hand credit card in the other looking down at the credit card machine is something totally different.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I simply like to ask myself, "are my actions beneficial or harmful to my Second Amendment rights?" I don't believe that being seen carrying is ever a benefit when in the public sphere, but I don't believe it is always a negative. That's why I don't OC unless I'm hunting, hiking, or back in bfe at my parents place.

It just does too much to damage the perception of gun owners, and firearms when out and about in cities.

My goals are preservation and expansion of Second Amendment rights
, and shocking people or attempting to educate them by displaying a firearm that might "scare" them isn't going to help that cause.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I simply like to ask myself, "are my actions beneficial or harmful to my Second Amendment rights?" I don't believe that being seen carrying is ever a benefit when in the public sphere, but I don't believe it is always a negative. That's why I don't OC unless I'm hunting, hiking, or back in bfe at my parents place.

It just does too much to damage the perception of gun owners, and firearms when out and about in cities.

My goals are preservation and expansion of Second Amendment rights
, and shocking people or attempting to educate them by displaying a firearm that might "scare" them isn't going to help that cause.
They're hurting their own cause without even realizing it.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
There are only two times I intentionally OC.

1. In the woods/ on the farm/ training
2. When Im doing stuff around my house (like I am now)

With that said, I have OCed into the gas station near my house to buy smokes but that was just because I didnt want to change holsters or clothes just to do that, if I am doing more than running to the gas station I would change or find a cover shirt.

I dont like looking like I am looking for attention or being "that guy". Not everyone who OCs is trying to be "that guy", but ive seen more bad OC than good, some examples.

1. guy had a sigma in a uncle mikes cheap IWB, but it was tucked in his front pocket.
2. douche with a thigh rig for his XD, wearing shorts and crocs
3. tons of flimsy clip on nylon holsters with the little spare mag pocket on the front
4. SOB holster with no retention device and no cover garment, like literally the worst place to have a gun, nothing to keep it in, nothing to hide it, and near impossible to physically retain if someone did want to get it.

For everyone ive seen OC "properly" that wasnt a cop, Ive seen three people carrying like an idiot. Those people are not helping anyone, IMO they make gun owners look either unsafe or like attention whores.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Meh, I say carry however you want to carry, but if OC, a good retention holster would be a plus

Reactions: Huddy and Woodstock

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I agree, but stand by my assessment that if you open carry, your primary concern is the attention that it gets you.
I hear ya, and in some cases, I wholeheartedly agree, but with the myriad of factors that are involved with a person's carry preference, I simply just say carry how you wish and be responsible.

I haven't OC'ed in a long time, but I lazy CC often. Maybe I want to strap on the big honking USP and it sticks out a little under my shirt, and maybe I want the least amount of resistance / motions to get to my gat. Maybe I don't want to feel uncomfortable with a larger pistol IWB, or maybe I'm going to be in and out of the truck a lot and OWB is more comfortable than IWB .... just some things off the top of my head.

As for it being taken, making you a target or conversely, that the mere visibility could possibly deter a threat, are all equally possible in my mind, so these are all factors one should consider before they choose what is best for them.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I hear ya, and in some cases, I wholeheartedly agree, but with the myriad of factors that are involved with a person's carry preference, I simply just say carry how you wish and be responsible.

I haven't OC'ed in a long time, but I lazy CC often. Maybe I want to strap on the big honking USP and it sticks out a little under my shirt, and maybe I want the least amount of resistance / motions to get to my gat. Maybe I don't want to feel uncomfortable with a larger pistol IWB, or maybe I'm going to be in and out of the truck a lot and OWB is more comfortable than IWB .... just some things off the top of my head.

As for it being taken, making you a target or conversely, that the mere visibility could possibly deter a threat, are all equally possible in my mind, so these are all factors one should consider before they choose what is best for them.
Unfortunately a lot of people feel the same way. They feel that it's simply their decision, and any indirect negative side effects like further erosion of gun rights just don't affect them....or that meh...whatever, it's just not a big deal.
Many of us are known to our friends as "gun guys" and our behavior influences how they think about gun owners. In addition, people in public that see someone open carrying make assumptions about gun owners and how they feel about firearms in general. These people vote. These people start bs conversation on their neighborhood facebook pages and organize anti-gun efforts at GSU and the state capitol and succeed in shooting down gun rights legislation.
While you might feel like it's just about you and what your'e comfortable with, it isn't. Your actions affect me and my rights directly, just be considerate of that.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Unfortunately a lot of people feel the same way. They feel that it's simply their decision, and any indirect negative side effects like further erosion of gun rights just don't affect them....or that meh...whatever, it's just not a big deal.
Many of us are known to our friends as "gun guys" and our behavior influences how they think about gun owners. In addition, people in public that see someone open carrying make assumptions about gun owners and how they feel about firearms in general. These people vote. These people start bs conversation on their neighborhood facebook pages and organize anti-gun efforts at GSU and the state capitol and succeed in shooting down gun rights legislation.
While you might feel like it's just about you and what your'e comfortable with, it isn't. Your actions affect me and my rights directly, just be considerate of that.
Meh, carry how you wish

Reactions: Woodstock

jwtug

Tamer of Electrons
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 6, 2015
Dixie (and Powder Springs)
Zip code
There are only two times I intentionally OC.

1. In the woods/ on the farm/ training
2. When Im doing stuff around my house (like I am now)

With that said, I have OCed into the gas station near my house to buy smokes but that was just because I didnt want to change holsters or clothes just to do that, if I am doing more than running to the gas station I would change or find a cover shirt.

I dont like looking like I am looking for attention or being "that guy". Not everyone who OCs is trying to be "that guy", but ive seen more bad OC than good, some examples.

1. guy had a sigma in a uncle mikes cheap IWB, but it was tucked in his front pocket.
2. douche with a thigh rig for his XD, wearing shorts and crocs
3. tons of flimsy clip on nylon holsters with the little spare mag pocket on the front
4. SOB holster with no retention device and no cover garment, like literally the worst place to have a gun, nothing to keep it in, nothing to hide it, and near impossible to physically retain if someone did want to get it.

For everyone ive seen OC "properly" that wasnt a cop, Ive seen three people carrying like an idiot. Those people are not helping anyone, IMO they make gun owners look either unsafe or like attention whores.
dac40ae68c386a30e1ba6755a3c8a35d.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
I don't like open carry due to fact that the ones that I've seen latley open carrying where attention whores

mexican at Kroger, had a big ass hat on,boots and a gun shoved right down front of his pants,with his shirt tucked in, so it was more visible....
green card?
hipster in North Carolina, with skinny jeans and feathered hair at Burger King even had 2 mags on his belt,what a DOUCHE

big butch woman at gun shop mouthing off that she shoots more then the "normal" person because she is proficient in eating a COW a day (she was huge)
I don't open carry, neither does my hubby

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I don't like open carry due to fact that the ones that I've seen latley open carrying where attention whores

mexican at Kroger, had a big ass hat on,boots and a gun shoved right down front of his pants,with his shirt tucked in, so it was more visible....
green card?
hipster in North Carolina, with skinny jeans and feathered hair at Burger King even had 2 mags on his belt,what a DOUCHE

big butch woman at gun shop mouthing off that she shoots more then the "normal" person because she is proficient in eating a COW a day (she was huge)

I'm not up on the rules but I'm pretty sure that's the only way a Mexican can carry.

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Only open carry when hunting or on the way to and fro from hunting. Rarely out of truck to and fro unless getting gas.

Concealed carry other wise. I am very aware of my surroundings, but just couple weeks ago , Igot caught off guard.Stopped at same gas station 5 am near work. Looked around at lot after stopped. Got out, again looked, swiped card and started pumping gas. Still no one around, leaned into car to get my coffee cup and when I came up and out he startled me asking for a quarter. I always keep my car door open as a buffer, I turned sideways and actively started to reach and he freaked out. He caught me off guard and I do not know where he came from., Was dressed pretty nice compared to most and I gave him quarter and he was thankful and went into store.

Just goes to show you, anything, anytime can happen

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015

green card?

You should stop by the Walmart near my house some time, you are guaranteed to see some interesting OC. Not too long ago I saw a guy with what had to be a 6" barrel revolver in his back pocket, he evidently carried it like that a good amount as there was a spot wearing through where the tip of the barrel rubbed in the pocket. I couldn't help but wonder if he sat on it or took it out when he got in his car.

Reactions: sam