Ohio ccw with car holsters

GA Firing Line

DTF23

Hunter
Jan 30, 2016
Anyone know the legality of these car holsters, the type where you attach the holster to the vehicle in some fashion and the gun is in there when you drive.

I think it'd be a lot easier to draw the gun while sitting in your vehicle with one, but I don't want to be breaking the law by having my weapon holstered in one. Something like the one I attached here.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Current Ohio law states that as a CCW permit holder you can carry an loaded pistol in any location within the vehicle. In your holster on your belt, covered, uncovered, on the seat next to you, in your glove box, on the floor. I wouldn't reccommend all of those, but they are all legal. So yes, the style of holster that mounts inside your vehicle to allow easier access to your firearm is legal under Ohio law.

Ohiobellboy

Frontiersman
Feb 1, 2016
My thought on this subject. I've never been in a situation in a vehicle where I thought I'd have to draw my gun. Why would a person need access that fast to a gun if they're keep their awareness level up? If I'm stuck sitting somewhere, I'm constantly scanning around me which will give me time to get my gun off my hip or out of my console in a few seconds. If I'm rolling and shit hits the fan, my right foot is going to get real heavy and I'm going to be rolling that much faster. I'd rather get away from a situation than be stuck in the middle of it. Just my thought on it.

Ohiobellboy

Frontiersman
Feb 1, 2016
[QUOTE="Chris Timmerman]Current Ohio law states that as a CCW permit holder you can carry an loaded pistol in any location within the vehicle. In your holster on your belt, covered, uncovered, on the seat next to you, in your glove box, on the floor. I wouldn't reccommend all of those, but they are all legal. So yes, the style of holster that mounts inside your vehicle to allow easier access to your firearm is legal under Ohio law.

[/QUOTE]
Chris, doesn't this also state that you have to have the weapon away from anyone that is not a CCW holder that is also in your vehicle? My wife shoots with me at the range and can handle a gun, she just doesn't have her permit yet so she can't have access to a loaded weapon in the vehicle.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
My initial response was the assumption of being the only occupant. I believe the law states it cannot be "accessible" to any unauthorized persons. Meaning anyone without a permit in my opinion. I'll double check and try to cite the ORC section. @T.L. Jones may be able to help on that one.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
There is no statute that specifies how a licensee can carry in a vehicle. Basically ccw holders can carry their loaded pistol anywhere in the vehicle. The AG does give a strong/bold warning in the booklet that the pistol should be carried so that it is not accessible to unauthorized persons. While there is no law you would be breaking by doing so, the reason for this warning is two-fold. First, if a loaded gun is accessible to a passenger who is not a licensee, you run the risk that they are in constructive possession of the firearm. In that instance YOU have not broken the law, but they have. So we don't want unlicensed people to unwittingly commit felonies because we gave them access to our guns (and in the right circumstance you may be an accomplice). Second, if an unauthorized person has access to our gun and it gets used, we have taken a significant liability upon ourselves.

But in the end, the law is clear that a licensee can carry their loaded firearm anywhere in the vehicle. So to answer OP's question, such holsters are perfectly legal. You just want to be careful about who can get to it while you're driving.

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Thanks T.L.

And that ladies and gentlemen is why I defer to the experts.

D

David

[QUOTE="Ohiobellboy]My thought on this subject. I've never been in a situation in a vehicle where I thought I'd have to draw my gun. Why would a person need access that fast to a gun if they're keep their awareness level up? If I'm stuck sitting somewhere, I'm constantly scanning around me which will give me time to get my gun off my hip or out of my console in a few seconds. If I'm rolling and shit hits the fan, my right foot is going to get real heavy and I'm going to be rolling that much faster. I'd rather get away from a situation than be stuck in the middle of it. Just my thought on it.

[/QUOTE]
I agree, I know the high crime areas of where I live, and all the gang territories so I know to avoid those areas at all costs to avoid them at all costs. But sometimes when I'm traveling i'm not so fortunate to have that knowledge and end up in less than desirable neighborhoods where who knows what could happen. I'm also a big fan of avoiding situations at all costs and have no problem running for my life rather than having a gun fight over it.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
I consider myself pretty aware of my surroundings. But there are times when we have to let people close enough to us to be dangerous. Remember, a human can cover 15 yards in a second. Story time. Once upon a time I was driving in Toledo in a high traffic area. There were a bunch of people on the sidewalk right next to the right lane I was in. One of the people on the sidewalk ran over to my car, opened the passenger door and attempted to get in while asking for a ride. This all happened in under a second or two. Thankfully he really was just a guy looking for a ride and immediately left without me having to do something, but it illustrates the point that you shouldn't put all your stock in situational awareness. That will prevent a lot of issues, so it is of utmost importance, but just being aware won't guarantee you can avoid an attack or that you will always have plenty of time to react or draw your weapon. The fact is, you aren't going to get ready to draw your weapon every time someone walks on the sidewalk near your car. And any second, one of them could attack. So being ready in your car with a quick access firearm is not a bad idea, or only for those who aren't aware of their surroundings. I personally carry on my hip in the car, as I do everywhere, but I certainly won't question the situational awareness of someone who wants fast access to their gun in the car.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
One of the primary reasons I like appendix carry. I can draw just as fast and easily seated in my car as any vehicle mounted holster. Honestly, probably faster because I have practiced it much more often. Situational awareness is key, but remember, Chris Kyle was killed by an amateur.