Nostalgia Inbound!

Faktory 47

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
My first ever gun was a Crosman 788 Scout BB gun. That old rifle accompanied my for miles and miles and miles of hunting around the bushes at my parents house, the creek bottom by the horse corral, and the Little Blue River a mile away. The Crosman 788 Scout was a reduced size BB gun meant to fit kids that were too young for the typical size BB gun. I was three when my dad bought mine, and I was still small enough that he had to cut the stock so it would fit me.

Unfortunately, the rifle is no where to be found. I think it was left in their old barn, and at some point it probably got tossed out. I was pretty upset when my dad said he couldn't find it about a year ago. I remember sleeping with it next to me in bed for years when I was a kid, at least until I got my Marlin model 60. I loved that thing as much as a kid could love a thing.

Anyway, I've been searching for the exact model of the 788 for quite a while. The particular model that I had wasn't made for very long, and there aren't a lot out there. Last week I was searching gunbroker and found one. It was in New Jersey of all places, and I knew I had to rescue it from that place. It's scheduled to be delivered today, and I can hardly wait. I haven't laid eyes on one for probably 32 years.

I'll post pics when she arrives.

Stories of your first bb gun?

Crosman Scout.PNG

Last edited:

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
That is cool. Luckily I still have all my BB guns that I grew up with. It is something that I will pass down to the kids someday.

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
That is cool. Luckily I still have all my BB guns that I grew up with. It is something that I will pass down to the kids someday.
You're fortunate. Mine will just die with me. I don't think anyone will want them.

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
You're fortunate. Mine will just die with me. I don't think anyone will want them.
My oldest son may not want them either since he already has a little rascal .22. But my youngest might play with them in a few years. If not they will just be a keepsake item for them.

War Paint

Frontiersman
Nov 23, 2015
Oxford ga
Zip code
I had my tonsils taken out and had a eye surgery done at the same time. Dad gave me my first BB Gun when I got back home. My first kill was a rat that came up in the toilet. I still can remember those BB's going around the rim of the toilet.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
My first was the classic Red Ryder. I remember shooting cans for hours with it. Then I was at my grandparents one day and my grandpa had bird feeders out. He loved to sit and watch them while he smoked a cigarette. Well a red bird lit on the feeder it's last time that day. I shot, it fell, and I started dancing at my victory. Then I got to thinking about the ass beating I was probably about to receive. I retrieved my trophy and took off to the woods to hide the evidence. I put my trusty Red Ryder back in the closet for the rest of the day. To my knowledge he never found out. And that's my first BB gun story.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
My first was the classic Red Ryder. I remember shooting cans for hours with it. Then I was at my grandparents one day and my grandpa had bird feeders out. He loved to sit and watch them while he smoked a cigarette. Well a red bird lit on the feeder it's last time that day. I shot, it fell, and I started dancing at my victory. Then I got to thinking about the ass beating I was probably about to receive. I retrieved my trophy and took off to the woods to hide the evidence. I put my trusty Red Ryder back in the closet for the rest of the day. To my knowledge he never found out. And that's my first BB gun story.
lol
I shot my sister in the ass with mine, and she deserved it. The BB went right through those turquoise corduroy pants. I denied doing it on purpose until I was 27 years old.

00formula6spd

Frontiersman
Jul 13, 2015
Lilburn Ga.
Zip code
I remember around 1970 my first Crosman 760. Had a wood pump handle, brass bolt, metal receiver, nothing like the cheep newer ones. Even some of the old ones had a solid plastic pump that would crack around the roll pins. About all we used were the Crosman 760 and Daisy 880

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
My best friend had two Benjamin 392 pumps. 22 cal. We shot so many squirrels/birds with those things. Carried them in the woods with us even when we were in high school just for the challenge. Those were rock solid pellet rifles. Man I miss those days. Since I moved into a subdivision I can't shoot as often as I used to on the farm. I've been debating on buying another one. Either that or a Benjamin Marauder.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
My best friend had two Benjamin 392 pumps. 22 cal. We shot so many squirrels/birds with those things. Carried them in the woods with us even when we were in high school just for the challenge. Those were rock solid pellet rifles. Man I miss those days. Since I moved into a subdivision I can't shoot as often as I used to on the farm. I've been debating on buying another one. Either that or a Benjamin Marauder.
I always wanted one of those when I was a kid. I remember seeing one in a magazine and reading about them. My little Crosman made me a good hunter though, you didn't get a second shot and with a puny 450 fps, you needed to make it count.

Reactions: Rwjeter

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
My very first BB gun was one of those Crossman spring pistols....I can't recall the name of the store but I remember going and looking though the glass display case at them for years before one day my dad actually bought one for me....We went out into the woods later that day and shot it. He let me,shoot his 22 mag Marlin and the Marlin 30-30 that he later gave to me . I was probably 11 and can still remember how much that 30-30 kicked...so much so that the next time I shot it again 19 years later I still flinched.

My first BB rifle was a Crossman 1077...boy did I think I was hot shit with a C02 rifle that if you squinted almost looked like an M14.....so many dead lizzards

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I always wanted one of those when I was a kid. I remember seeing one in a magazine and reading about them. My little Crosman made me a good hunter though, you didn't get a second shot and with a puny 450 fps, you needed to make it count.
By today's standards they're slow. ~650 fps best I remember. But with the heavier .22 they would make a hellacious (?) thump and drop a squirrel in its tracks. We even used them to dispatch possums and racoons we caught in our traps with one shot. I have several scoped break action pellet rifles (Gamo, Ruger, Benjamin Nitro Piston) that I paid more for, and if I could go back I'd trade every one of them for a Benjamin 392 with iron sights.

Reactions: Shemp and Laufen

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Damn it! @Laufen ! I have enough projects as it is! Now I'm sitting here looking at antique Daisy Model 25 takedown BB guns.... I always wanted one when I was a kid, and all this talk of nostalgia has rekindled that. The good news is it will cost considerably less than my arctic AR project.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Damn it! @Laufen ! I have enough projects as it is! Now I'm sitting here looking at antique Daisy Model 25 takedown BB guns.... I always wanted one when I was a kid, and all this talk of nostalgia has rekindled that. The good news is it will cost considerably less than my arctic AR project.
Do it!

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Still have my first BB gun, a Daisy model 880. I still shoot it occasionally. I shoot my Ruger Blackhawk .177 Pellet rifle all the time now around the house squirrel hunting. They have decided to take up residence in my attic and my shed out back. Fucking bastards.

20161124_115712.jpg

Reactions: Laufen and Rwjeter

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Dang Fedex, scheduled to be delivered today...was supposed to be yesterday.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Dang Fedex, scheduled to be delivered today...was supposed to be yesterday.
Bunch of ass hats. My mail lady is too lazy to get out of her truck and put anything on our porch. Instead she takes it back to the post office and makes me go pick it up myself.... They don't care about our dreams as they crush them and make us wait....

Reactions: Jake and Laufen