Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
NFA Lawyers’ Initial Review of Final Ruling ATF 41P

Here is the initial review of the law as written by Dean Phillips at NFALawyers.com who is a valued member of SoutheastTraders, a trusted friend, and our go to legal counsel for all things NFA and other legal things.

NFA Lawyers’ Initial Review of Final Ruling ATF 41P

The BATFE and Attorney General finalized proposed regulation 41P on January 4, 2016. A link to same can be found at https://www.atf.gov/file/100896/download. As many of you are aware, this regulation impacts gun trusts. This initial review provides an overview of what those key changes are.
This ruling is 248 pages long. At the top of the ruling is the following language:

“This final rule was signed by the Attorney General on January 4, 2016. It is effective 180 days after date of publication in the Federal Register.”

If the rule was published in the Register on January 4, 2016. This means there is still no CLEO signoff, fingerprints, or picture requirement for trusts until July 1, 2016.
Let us get to the “meat and potatoes” of 41P. Of the 248 pages comprising 41P, pages 238-239 are of key importance. Below is the language impacting gun trusts:
§ 479.11 Meaning of terms.

Person. A partnership, company, association, trust, corporation, including each responsible person associated with such an entity; an estate; or an individual.

Responsible person. In the case of an unlicensed entity, including any trust, partnership, association, company (including any Limited Liability Company (LLC)), or corporation, any individual who possesses, directly or indirectly, the power or authority to direct the management and policies of the trust or entity to receive, possess, ship, transport, deliver, transfer, or otherwise dispose of a firearm for, or on behalf of, the trust or legal entity. In the case of a trust, those persons with the power or authority to direct the management and policies of the trust include any person who has the capability to exercise such power and possesses, directly or indirectly, the power or authority under any trust instrument, or under State law, to receive, possess, ship, transport, deliver, transfer, or otherwise dispose of a firearm for, or on behalf of, the trust. Examples of who may be considered a responsible person include settlors/grantors, trustees, partners, members, officers, directors, board members, or owners. An example of who may be excluded from this definition of responsible person is the beneficiary of a trust, if the beneficiary does not have the capability to exercise the powers or authorities enumerated in this section.

What all of this means is any responsible person in a trust must undergo the following requirements:
Fingerprints
Picture
No CLEO sign-off. You simply notify your CLEO.

Well, who are responsible persons in a gun trust? I will break down the two critical elements.

Responsible persons are:
1) Persons with the power or authority to direct the management and policies of the trust;
AND,
2) Have the power or authority to receive, possess, ship, transport, deliver, transfer, or otherwise dispose of a firearm for the trust.

It appears as though responsible persons are those who meet both elements. If an individual does not meet both of these elements, they are not responsible persons. Thus, the 41P requirements would not apply to that individual.

In NFA Lawyers’ trusts, co-trustees do not have any power or authority to direct the management and/or policies of the trust. Co-trustees do not meet element number one. We draft trusts this way in order to prevent co-trustees from having any control over your NFA weapons or other firearms in the trust.
Based on the face of 41P, our trusts are already 41P compliant. Co-trustees in our trust will never have to send in fingerprints, pictures, or notify their CLEO. Additionally, 41P clearly states that beneficiaries are not subject to these requirements.

As with many new regulations, there will be much litigation over these topics. The ATF may make revisions or opine further on their position, which may change the impact of 41P.

Regardless, NFA Lawyers will keep our clients apprised of any required changes to their trusts, if any. It has been our pleasure to do business with each and every one of our clients. We will do everything we can to prevent our government from infringing on our Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Sincerely,
/s/ H. Dean Phillips
Continue reading the original Southeast Traders article.

Last edited:

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
So going forward, being that most of us are the only trustee on our trusts, have to submit a picture, submit fingerprints and notify CLEO with our application for a new stamp? Or we have to do this for our existing trusts?

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
So going forward, being that most of us are the only trustee on our trusts, have to submit a picture, submit fingerprints and notify CLEO with our application for a new stamp? Or we have to do this for our existing trusts?

Going forward I will just file as an individual and leave my trust alone. I personally have no reason to use a trust once this goes into effect.

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Going forward I will just file as an individual and leave my trust alone. I personally have no reason to use a trust once this goes into effect.

No doubt... however if this should be revoked hopefully by Congress but if not by the next GOP president, could you transfer it without paying an additional $200 again to transfer to your trust?

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
No doubt... however if this should be revoked hopefully by Congress but if not by the next GOP president, could you transfer it without paying an additional $200 again to transfer to your trust?

Nope. 200 bucks again. For me though, there is no reason I would want to.

heavyd

Hunter
Jun 24, 2015

Only going forward. As discussed above, it appears that the regulation would not affect co-trustees in my trust. This is because co-trustees in my trust do not have managerial authority.

If this is the case, filing with a trust would still be the way to go because all of your co-trustees could still possess.

Reactions: Leshaire

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Only going forward. As discussed above, it appears that the regulation would not affect co-trustees in my trust. This is because co-trustees in my trust do not have managerial authority.

If this is the case, filing with a trust would still be the way to go because all of your co-trustees could still possess.
I went with another trust before learning of you on the other site. Would you mind looking over my trust to see if mine is set up similarly?

For a fee of course.

T-Roy

Hunter
Jun 24, 2015
I went with another trust before learning of you on the other site. Would you mind looking over my trust to see if mine is set up similarly?

For a fee of course.
I "did it myself" before I knew Dean. Right now I'm thinking I'll just create a new trust through him for future purchases so I know it's structured correctly. Plus I want a more clever name on my next SBR. Do you guys think "Obama doesn't deserve" would slow down my approvals?