Next Suppressor Innovation

GA Firing Line

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
NEXT trend. Modular is the current trend. But I see what your saying about it expanding.
Once suppressors are even more mainstream I could see smaller cans being a focus. I encourage any buyer to make it to a metering, it will change the way you buy cans and you'll stop chasing dbs

Reactions: Cudruln

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
Once suppressors are even more mainstream I could see smaller cans being a focus. I encourage any buyer to make it to a metering, it will change the way you buy cans and you'll stop chasing dbs
Metering?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code

Chasing dbs is for guys like @rOmiLaYu :boink: I just want to blow shit up and set it on fire without having to yell over hearing protection. :thumb:

Reactions: Strider12

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Metering?

They bring out a big fancy expensive db meter, and everyone stands around and tells lies while one guy shoots 1 shot every 15 seconds into the dirt while another guy says numbers that don't really mean anything. Every once and while someone will say loudly, "holy shit that's quiet." Pretty cool really. :thumb:

Last edited:

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Metering?

We get together with about $20k in sound meters and mics and we mil spec test suppressors and their hosts.

When you do it you start to notice that regardless of the numbers that most calibers sound about the same through a range of different cans with about the same internal volume. You also see that rifle cans all sound about the same until you get into the true micro categories. Once you learn this you care more about weight, length, meeting your durability needs, and a better attachment system to ensure accuracy and bore alignment.

I now enjoy seeing which host performs best and unique builds. Like watching 1000fps 200gr 30-30 score subsonic 22lr suppression numbers.

THe meter helps cut a lot of the bullshit you hear on the web and gives you cut and dry results for muzzle and ear readings.

Once you've been to one you'll never need to go to another unless you just like to experiment with hosts or testing your subsonic reloads.

Reactions: DoglegArms

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
They bring out a big fancy expensive db meter, and everyone stands around and tells lies while one guy shoots 1 shot every 15 seconds into the dirt while another guy says numbers that don't really mean anything. Every once and while someone will say loudly, "holy shit that's quiet." Pretty cool really. :thumb:

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
We get together with about $20k in sound meters and mics and we mil spec test suppressors and their hosts.

When you do it you start to notice that regardless of the numbers that most calibers sound about the same through a range of different cans with about the same internal volume. You also see that rifle cans all sound about the same until you get into the true micro categories. Once you learn this you care more about weight, length, meeting your durability needs, and a better attachment system to ensure accuracy and bore alignment.

I now enjoy seeing which host performs best and unique builds. Like watching 1000fps 200gr 30-30 score subsonic 22lr suppression numbers.

THe meter helps cut a lot of the bullshit you hear on the web and gives you cut and dry results for muzzle and ear readings.

Once you've been to one you'll never need to go to another unless you just like to experiment with hosts or testing your subsonic reloads.
I don't even use lube anymore when I savage myself. You guys have fun!!

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
okay ill go one step further on the metering.

It doesn't tend to make stars, but it does point out the scrubs. If you fail on the meter, then your can is probably a shit design or noise suppression is low on its list of priories(looking at you surefire)

Cans like the YHM Mite, the HTA AK can, Mini 4, Poseidon, and a few others have absolutely sharted themselves on the meter

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
Roger that. I was just trying to get clarity on what you were envisioning.
How small? I have no idea really. You're right there's only so many baffles that can fit into a small space. But as silencers increase in popularity, I bet people are going to want shorter cans. And "next trend" may have not been the right term to use. "Next innovation" would have been better.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Polymer baffle stacks you mail you can back to the manufacturer and have recored every couple thousand rounds

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Polymer baffle stacks you mail you can back to the manufacturer and have recored every couple thousand rounds

I don't know if it's polymer but I think the materials may be the next thing.

What do I know?

But if you can use some kind of ceramic that is injection molded vs having to turn something on a lathe you can certainly reduce production time and lower cost. Maybe decrease weight too?

Buckeye76

Frontiersman
Mar 27, 2015
Georgia
Modular cans, and all in one cans. New regs are initially going to make people gravitate towards getting cans that seem like " 2 in 1" or "multi cal".

This. I'm looking for 45 cans that will do 300blk subs and some of the new cans that will even do 458 socom. Nothing smaller needed to fill my needs. Everything I shoot will work and after hearing my 300blk out of my Octane 45, It just reaffirmed my decision.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
I don't know if it's polymer but I think the materials may be the next thing.

What do I know?

But if you can use some kind of ceramic that is injection molded vs having to turn something on a lathe you can certainly reduce production time and lower cost. Maybe decrease weight too?
I see the ceramic working, but that material is typically heavy.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
I like the trend of wide multi-caliber ratings like the Mystic 9. Its up to what now, 52 calibers? Granted its not AS quite as many other offerings, I still think its a fantastic way to go. Especially those not wanting to continually dump $200 + suppressor costs for dedicated calibers.

Ultimate can for me would be an adjustable length and caliber. Being able to swap out baffle stacks and end caps to make it dedicated to certain calibers or leave a a "factory" setup and use across many calibers. A true, do it all can. If its made with new type material, I wouldnt even mind as long as the company had a good warranty program.

If this surge in NFA purchases does what it did to the AR market, I wouldn't mind dedicated cans if they were $200-$300 cheaper than most are now.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Silencerco is testing out the "short but fat" with the Omega 9k. Good for 9mm rifles, but bad for people who like to see their sights on pistols.