Next Project: High Standard P100 Sportking .22 pump

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
RICHGCOOP said:
I used to draw file the steps down out the 98 mouser barrels to make a nice contour. A whole LOT of work.
Draw filing is an ART. Try it you will like it. LOL
Just today I've been using the technique to square up some steel panels I'm going to use in making a custom box for my tractor. The draw filing was done to make the edges of the panels as close to perfectly square as I can so they will fit together nicely.

M

mukwah

Funny you shoud mention that Craig! Just finished sanding both wood and metal tonight. I'll start oil rubbing the wood tomorrow and my Dura Coat shoud be here from Brownell's Mon or Tues. I'll probably paint on Friday.

M

mukwah

I don't know what this is on the trigger guard (it was on the reciever also) but it's a messy bugger to get off!!! It's like some kind of powder paint. It has a hard semi gloss surface but once you break the surface it sands off in a fine dust. I did some checking online but could not find what they used in 1965 to do this coating. The barrel was a normal bluing like most firearms.
1111121900.jpg

M

mukwah

Well now that's good to know! Thanks Skip!! Wish I would have mentioned this sooner! Finally got the reciever cleaned up and just about to finish up the trigger gaurd. Sure would have been alot easier with the gasket remover! Oh well, live and learn! ???

M

mukwah

Well, tomorrow is paint day, weather permiting. Got the stock done, and dura coated the butt plate and grip plate gloss black.
My grandson has been giving me a lot of his input on this project as he knows all my guns will be his someday. Think you guys are gonna find the finished product a nice suprise!

M

mukwah

Thanks Sassi! Mainly just takes time, patience, and attention to detail. These are things that projects like this have taught me.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
mukwah said:
Mainly just takes time, patience, and attention to detail.
That's a very good description of the requirements.

In addition, I always try to make sure that my projects are done right the first time. That way I don't have to re-do them which would take even more time.

M

mukwah

Right Skip! My grandfather taught many years ago, anything you do with your hands do it the very best that you can and you will get it right the first time!

M

mukwah

Well, good news and bad news right now. The good news is that the Dura-Coat painting is finished and cured for 3 days and ready for reassembly. The bad news is I'm on a heavy work schedule right now (4-12 hr shifts in a row) and won't get a chance to do anything till probably Friday. Oh well, can't be helped.
After I reassemble her there will a 3-4 week full cure period before heavy use.
I'll post pics as soon as I get her reassembled. :'(

M

mukwah

OK, this is it guys! My Grandson's "Custom Sporterized High Standard P100 SportKing". (He named it his self). He also picked out the color, which I was not sure of at first, which is a all weather gray. Turned out OK, and he's happy! That's all that counts!!

1129122059.jpg

1129122054.jpg
1129122045.jpg