Next Project: High Standard P100 Sportking .22 pump

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store
M

mukwah

Started my next project today! This is a High Standard Sportking P100 .22 pump that is in pretty good shape considering the nearest date I can track is somewhere between '63 to '65. All I really need to do is refinish the stock and fore-end, clean up the barrel and receiver (very minor rust) and clean up the action. I also had a problem with the slide not locking in place but I already fixed that with a little file work to end of a rounded slide bar. Works fine now. Will post more pics as work progresses.

1028121751.jpg

1028121751a.jpg

1028121751b.jpg

1031121950.jpg

R

rayzer007

You'll be able to spiff up this gun with one hand tied behind your back Muk!

Ray

M

mukwah

Yeah, looks pretty good compared to the others. Hoping to make it look brand new again!

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
Nice rifle Mukwah! It will even be nicer when you finish the project. Have you fired it, and if so, is it accurate?

M

mukwah

I haven't fired it yet Sarge, but the guy I got it from said it was very accurate, looking forward to finding out!

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
I love looking at the innards of different guns..just to see someone else's thinking to get the gun to work in the proper way. The human mind is an amazing piece of work. Even mine. Well...some of the time it is...well, at least that one time it was..sorta...Oh NEVER MIND.

M

mukwah

Re: Re: Next Project: High Standard P100 Sportking .22 pump

Sarge said:
Nice rifle Mukwah! It will even be nicer when you finish the project. Have you fired it, and if so, is it accurate?
Funny, out of the three I bought this one is the oldest by about 10 years ('63-'65) !

M

mukwah

Well, it looks like Bubba owned this rifle at one time He left a sample of his handi work! Don't think I can fix this short of cutting and recrowning the barrel, then I would have to have it dovetailed for a new front sight. I wasen't really planning on putting that much into this rifle. May just have to work around this.
1105120616-1.jpg

M

mukwah

Well, I've decided I can't be satisified with rifle with the reminants of Bubba's handi work. I've discovered the same Bubba marks around the rear sight as I found on the front sight. So my plan is to do some very delicate draw file work to clean them up as much as I can while keeping in mind the golden rule of "you can take it off, but you can't put it back on". After that I'm going to Dura Coat the barrel and reciever the same as I did the Savage. I had hoped to keep the original bluing but with the Bubba marks and some fairly deep rust piting on the underside I decided I just would not be satisified with that.
The stock cleaned up real nice with some nice grain. I'll hand rub about 5-6 coats of oil and then wax it and it will be good to go.

1107120616.jpg

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
mukwah said:
Well, I've decided I can't be satisified with rifle with the reminants of Bubba's handi work. I've discovered the same Bubba marks around the rear sight as I found on the front sight. So my plan is to do some very delicate draw file work to clean them up as much as I can while keeping in mind the golden rule of "you can take it off, but you can't put it back on".
I wonder how many folks here really know what "draw filing" is all about.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I used to draw file the steps down out the 98 mouser barrels to make a nice contour. A whole LOT of work.
Draw filing is an ART. Try it you will like it. LOL

RICHGCOOP

M

mukwah

I know pulling a file on such small detail as this I'd going to be tough, but it's the only way I to try to fix this short of a Dremmel tool. If I can just get some of the dings smoothed out I'm pretty sure the Dura Coat will fill in the rest. We'll see!

M

mukwah

Well I worked and hour and a half on this and I think this is as far as I'm gonna take it down. A little sanding and the Dura Coat should fill it in just right! Here is the before and after some very detailed draw filing.

1105120616-1.jpg

1107121916.jpg