My AR15 Build

Faktory 47

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
Just posting a build thread for my first AR15. I started with a stripped lower from PTAC and went from there. A buddy of mine got me a lower parts kit for Christmas that was a bit of a hodge podge but was full of great parts. I ordered a Stoner-AR complete upper for $300 from MidwayUSA during there New Years sale. Since then I've purchased a Midwest Industries M-Series Two Piece Drop in Hand Guard in the M-LOK configuration. I picked up a Magpul AFG M-LOK compatible and a Streamlight PolyTac flashlight with offset rail mount. I also mounted a Midwest Industries QD Sling end plate. I think thats everything that I'm currently running on this setup. I ordered the Primary Arms 30mm Red Dot Classic II optic and a Strike Industries Venom flash hider. Those are in the mail and I will post pics when they are mounted. Now for the goods

Here is the AR assembled the day the upper came in

Wf91T8z.jpg

Forgot to mention the Bastion Arms dust cover

7JUGtSd.jpg

Here is the AR with my BlueForce sling

Mirc2oh.jpg

LMnzwDl.jpg

Now for the total package

BUpeGX6.jpg

yEDu3Kx.jpg

A close up of the Midwest Industries Rail

s4BLuqQ.jpg

Fhqfv5I.jpg

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Looks like a great first rifle!!

You should leave that guy who gave you the Lower Build Kit some feedback...

Last edited:

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
As promised I am updating the thread with the latest build items and goodies added to the project. So the actual "build" portion is finished. I added the Primary Arms 30mm Red Dot (GENII) with the absolute cowitness mount and a Strike Industries Venom Flash Hider to the front. I'm taking her out the range this weekend to zero the iron sights and red dot. Once those are zero I'm going to out about 300 rounds through her to get her warmed up. To jog your memory or for those of you that are just joining, I'm painting a Kryptek Highlander pattern on the rifle when the stencils get here (hopefully this week). Once everything is all done I'll post more pictures. Now for the goods. The pictures will be a before-after theme

The last shipment came in tonight
6hVAZaJ.jpg

The standard A2 birdcage had to go
yAaOp0e.jpg

Strike Industries Venom Flash Hider
4F4LiBi.jpg

qqtwvJG.jpg

The Primary Arms 30mm Red Dot GENII pretty much an Aimpoint CompM3 clone
uQ0poWe.jpg

sU6ThmL.jpg

The glass is super clear the dot is crisp, can't wait to use it!
ui7vLmm.jpg

qnDp4iQ.jpg

0RdW0Ao.jpg

zuM9mvs.jpg

Total Package
ssAwBie.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Righter13

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code

OP, have you zeroed that rifle yet? If no, start at mechanical zero. The front sight post should be flush with the top of the FSB. Will make your life much easier at the range truing to get your irons and red dot zeroed in.quickly.

Also, bore sighting it in by looking down the barrel without the carrier installed will make it easier too. I bore sight mine looking at a fence post about 90-100 yards away in my neighbors yard. Makes getting the red dot close on paper much easier.

Here is a link to what I am talking about.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/conte...opics/m16a2/mechanically-zeroing-the--2.shtml

Reactions: mmason3

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I'm curious if the new flash hider has the "ring" after every shot... I've got plain old A2's on mine. Except for the ones with a suppressor mount- those are muzzle brakes (or is it breaks?)... I haaaate a muzzle break, but felt like it would make the Specwar baffles last longer.

Build looks great-

Reactions: mmason3

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
How come the birdcage gets no love? They are a better flashhider than 90% of the muzzle devices out there at any price.
Nothing really against the A2 birdcage, I agree it does a great job of reducing flash and dirt signature but I'm building this for me and really like the look of other flash hiders. After spending 18 months in the desert with an A2 cage I wanted something different and wanted a totally custom build.

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
OP, have you zeroed that rifle yet? If no, start at mechanical zero. The front sight post should be flush with the top of the FSB. Will make your life much easier at the range truing to get your irons and red dot zeroed in.quickly.

Also, bore sighting it in by looking down the barrel without the carrier installed will make it easier too. I bore sight mine looking at a fence post about 90-100 yards away in my neighbors yard. Makes getting the red dot close on paper much easier.

Here is a link to what I am talking about.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/conte...opics/m16a2/mechanically-zeroing-the--2.shtml

Haven't zeroed it yet, doing that this coming weekend. I had planned on doing a battle sight zero to speed things up, as I don't want to be at the range all day just to zero and confirm. Thanks for the link!

Reactions: Wallace

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
I'm curious if the new flash hider has the "ring" after every shot... I've got plain old A2's on mine. Except for the ones with a suppressor mount- those are muzzle brakes (or is it breaks?)... I haaaate a muzzle break, but felt like it would make the Specwar baffles last longer.

Build looks great-

I haven't actually put rounds through it to hear the "ring" but just charging it makes the flash hider ring a little and then there's this video that makes me believe it will ring

I believe it is muzzle brake, I don't plan on doing a muzzle break on any of my builds. I understand the reason behind them and the practicality of them but until I can go out in the middle of no where and not shoot a break next to somebody I'm not going to put one on a build. I believe that falls into the range etiquette category. Thanks for stopping by my build thread!