I think I'm gun-bored

Howard Law

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I built a range in my backyard for .22. I live in a subdivision on less than an acre, I don't think anyone knows. Literally less loud than a paintball gun.

I almost stopped buying guns 18 months ago. I believe the only purchases are a 10-22 and a M1a. I have two safes that are completely full, with some overflow of uppers that don't fit. I only really shoot my 10-22, favorite AR, M1a on the rifle side. I shot all my handguns, but I only have four.

I would sell some, but you can't get your money out of ARs and AKs now, and most are WWI/II bolt guns that are worth keeping just to hand down someday.

But saying all that, I'm shooting more and better than I ever have. The better I get, the better I want to be. It's more challenging shrinking 3moa groups to 2moa, than going from 8mos to 4. I joined a club that's an hour away, which is good because of it was closer if go broke, and started competing in the club matches whenever I could. Bowling pin quick draw stuff one week, bullseye pistol, military rifle matches, etc.. I'm not winning anything, but I keep learning and it stays fun. Besides, I might be shooting bullseye with a Glock 19 against tuned 1911s. But I'm putting holes in paper as far as 50 yards away and two years ago that wouldn't have happened, at least not consistently.

I'm a drive from you, but you have an open invitation to join me.

Reactions: Shemp

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I built a range in my backyard for .22. I live in a subdivision on less than an acre, I don't think anyone knows. Literally less loud than a paintball gun.

I almost stopped buying guns 18 months ago. I believe the only purchases are a 10-22 and a M1a. I have two safes that are completely full, with some overflow of uppers that don't fit. I only really shoot my 10-22, favorite AR, M1a on the rifle side. I shot all my handguns, but I only have four.

I would sell some, but you can't get your money out of ARs and AKs now, and most are WWI/II bolt guns that are worth keeping just to hand down someday.

But saying all that, I'm shooting more and better than I ever have. The better I get, the better I want to be. It's more challenging shrinking 3moa groups to 2moa, than going from 8mos to 4. I joined a club that's an hour away, which is good because of it was closer if go broke, and started competing in the club matches whenever I could. Bowling pin quick draw stuff one week, bullseye pistol, military rifle matches, etc.. I'm not winning anything, but I keep learning and it stays fun. Besides, I might be shooting bullseye with a Glock 19 against tuned 1911s. But I'm putting holes in paper as far as 50 yards away and two years ago that wouldn't have happened, at least not consistently.

I'm a drive from you, but you have an open invitation to join me.

I do appreciate it sir. They are building that huge indoor rifle/pistol/trap/skeet range less than 5 mins from my house. It won't be done for a while though. My wife is all on board with getting membership there. She wants to be able to use the "Executive" lounge area. Why I don't know....but fine with me.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
It's important to feel like you're improving. It's not as fun when you feel like your skills are stagnant. Being able to recognize the gradual improvement you're making will make you want to shoot more.

Reactions: Gunsite Grad

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
It's important to feel like you're improving. It's not as fun when you feel like your skills are stagnant. Being able to recognize the gradual improvement you're making will make you want to shoot more.

I agree completely. My problem is time. I think a training class of sorts might help as well.....but finding the time.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Go to a gun show and get some ideas. I wouldn't buy anything there though ;)

Oh I have ideas...they are just way too expensive I REALLY want a suppressed SBR USC45...I even kinda want a PS90. All those cost way too much though.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I am in the same boat. I dont have the spare cash for the guns I want and I hate shooting indoors.

I do find that after going to my inlaws farm it renews my love of shooting after being able to shoot while I move, draw, etc...

I am really looking forward to building my AR and getting some good time in getting familiar with it.

Bigr hamr

Hunter
Mar 24, 2015
Cartersville
Herein lies your problem.

Maybe you should consider a suppressed 22lr for fun at home. Then you could shoot and enjoy the guns.
I'm taking this route for my first nfa purchase. I find myself getting bored with guns, I can shoot at home but not the range I prefer, maybe 100 yards. The range I belong to is a hours drive, but very nice.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Oh I have ideas...they are just way too expensive I REALLY want a suppressed SBR USC45...I even kinda want a PS90. All those cost way too much though.
And it won't fix your problem. Having another thousand dollar rifle that doesn't get shot will probably make it worse.

http://artoftherifle.com/

This is a great blog with tons of practical advice for improving your shooting. If you start at the beginning you can follow the guy on his journey to becoming a better shooter. He is an appleseed instructor, but breaks with their COI over a number of things like the use of the hasty sling, which I've also stopped using.

Reactions: madHatter

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
And it won't fix your problem. Having another thousand dollar rifle that doesn't get shot will probably make it worse.

http://artoftherifle.com/

This is a great blog with tons of practical advice for improving your shooting. If you start at the beginning you can follow the guy on his journey to becoming a better shooter. He is an appleseed instructor, but breaks with their COI over a number of things like the use of the hasty sling, which I've also stopped using.

Very cool thanks for sharing!

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Very cool thanks for sharing!

As much as I pimp Appleseed, shooting and marksmanship is fundamentally an individual pursuit. It's the information and techniques that you need to learn and internalize. As long as the information is good you can improve a ton without paying an instructor. The techniques taught in one basic pistol class, if practised and internalized, is much better than going to class a year and not shooting in the meantime.

You can do much at your house without the range.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Hoss and freedom nailed it. If you're bored, shoot more. I don't have a huge gun inventory. Pretty much everything has a purpose. If I had invested in guns what I have in ammo, it would be a different story. If you've hit that point that you have what you want / need, it's time to stock up on ammo and start shooting. Join a range, find a friend with property, shoot some local matches, take a pistol or carbine course, whatever. It's time to start building skills.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Instead of a PS90, I bought an AR57 upper. It runs really well and I have the generic PS magazines. I found the best price at http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411554175/AR-57 Complete Upper Receiver Assembly with Fluted Barrel and it ships directly to you. Just a thought.

I'm not really in to ARs. I don't get the point of the 57 upper. If I want something that's an AR I'll just go 5.56. The PS90 is so much more compact than the AR...

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I'm not really in to ARs. I don't get the point of the 57 upper. If I want something that's an AR I'll just go 5.56. The PS90 is so much more compact than the AR...
I've always felt the very same way.

Anyway, I'm not buying much anymore at all. There's nothing that new or exciting out there. PCC's have my interest a bit.

Back in the day, the store I worked for sent us to "Gun Universities" in Minnesota. It was a week of manufacturers bringing all of their wares, putting on classes for optics, firearms, you name it, and then a few days of shooting everything under the sun. Just picking up guns off of a table and blasting thousands of rounds through everything from .22 pistols to a .460 Weatherby. That ruins you a little bit.

Reactions: Shemp

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I've always felt the very same way.

Anyway, I'm not buying much anymore at all. There's nothing that new or exciting out there. PCC's have my interest a bit.

Back in the day, the store I worked for sent us to "Gun Universities" in Minnesota. It was a week of manufacturers bringing all of their wares, putting on classes for optics, firearms, you name it, and then a few days of shooting everything under the sun. Just picking up guns off of a table and blasting thousands of rounds through everything from .22 pistols to a .460 Weatherby. That ruins you a little bit.

Yeah I could see how that might ruin ya. There just doesn't seem to be much out on the market these days. I would love .45 ACP carbine but they are either way too expensive, way too ugly, AR based, or made of pot metal. A PS90 would be more bang for the buck than a 45 carbine but still not cheap.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Yeah I could see how that might ruin ya. There just doesn't seem to be much out on the market these days. I would love .45 ACP carbine but they are either way too expensive, way too ugly, AR based, or made of pot metal. A PS90 would be more bang for the buck than a 45 carbine but still not cheap.
The PS90 would be a hoot, I wouldn't mind something of the same size in 9mm. The problem seems to be that most of the high volume companies (that could keep cost down) are pretty much stuck on only offering variants of their tried and true models, there just isn't that much innovation. That keeps the neat, boutique stuff out of the hands of a lot of folks and allows premiums to be charges for platforms that are no more expensive to produce than an AR.