Hypothetical

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest
Okay, so I'm often chastised for carrying a 25, tho I do so very rarely, and I understand why. I could explain the reasoning behind it, but don't think it much matters, it basically comes down to concealability.

Anyway, I do have one other option than the 25. I've asked this on another forum and the results were in favor of my current carry situation, but I'm interested in hearing thought of others.

So hypothetical: You have only two guns as an option to carry, for whatever reason you want to make up...

1. An 8 shot 25acp
2. A 2 shot 9mm derringer

Which do you choose?

I've obviously have made mine and the reasons I would think are obvious, but to eliminate any possible confusion or misunderstanding, I do so due to the increased accuracy and followup shot timing, as well as ability from lessened recoil, and for round count.

What about you?

(For reference, I have only these two options because I need a gun no more than 5"long, 4"tall and SAO with manual hammer.)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Neither. I would get a Seecamp (and I did x3). Not a SAO, but well under your height and length requirements. .32 & .380 are both th same size. THE ULTIMATE POCKET GUN.

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest
Re: Re: Hypothetical

lws380 said:
Neither. I would get a Seecamp (and I did x3). Not a SAO, but well under your height and length requirements. .32 & .380 are both th same size. THE ULTIMATE POCKET GUN.

Sorry man, SAO is mandatory for me. I cannot shoot a double action accurate enough to hit what I'm aiming at and I hate them passionately. Trust me, I've looked at the Seacamp and many others.

There's also the Robaugh mini 9mm which would fit my dimensions but not other needs.

I think you missed the point tho. I stated, if left with only these two options for some stupid unforseen reason, no matter how outlandish it may be (point of hypothetical) which of these two only would you choose...? Still curious.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I don't like the choices very well, but I would never willingly carry a .25. I guess that puts me in the 9mm camp........against my will. ;)

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest

bigdogdaddy said:
I don't like the choices very well, but I would never willingly carry a .25. I guess that puts me in the 9mm camp........against my will. ;)

Interesting. Is it simply because of caliber? You do realize, with a derringer you have to manually chock each trigger pull...

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Yep. As I said I don't like the choices. Recent news story of a lady hiding from a man breaking into here house. She shot him 5 times with a .38 in the face and torso.while he said, "Please don't shoot me anymore." ( I am not kidding about that.) Then he got out to his car and drove away before collapsing down the road. I like bigger bullets when possible. Nothing smaller than a .380, but I really like the looks of a .45 acp. It doesn't have to mushroom at all to make a large horrible hole.

Much better choices than the ones you gave, but I played along.

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest

bigdogdaddy said:
Much better choices than the ones you gave, but I played along.

And I appreciate you doing so, didn't mean to make it sound otherwise. I won't lie tho, that story doesn't sound so bad, plenty of people walk away from 9mm shots, the point isn't too assuredly kill, it's too defend, and the lady in your story did that successfully. Just saying, only strengthens my resolve sticking with the 25.

But I appreciate your thoughts. I also agree, however there simply are times where I cannot conceal anything larger this I'm stuck. Thanks man!

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Understood. That is why I have the LCP. Easiest carry gun I have ever owned. And after 7 shots of Critical Defense if BG is still hanging around we are probably both in serious trouble or laughing about how bad we shoot. ;D

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest

bigdogdaddy said:
Understood. That is why I have the LCP. Easiest carry gun I have ever owned. And after 7 shots of Critical Defense if BG is still hanging around we are probably both in serious trouble or laughing about how bad we shoot. ;D

Lol indeed. You should look at CorBon DPX, way better ballistics for every caliber with deeper penetration and higher energy without needing to be +P. It's my go to for 9mm and 45, with critical Defense as a backup.

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
"You do realize, with a derringer you have to manually chock each trigger pull..."

What do you manipulate to run the .25?

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest

Verticoli said:
"You do realize, with a derringer you have to manually chock each trigger pull..."

What do you manipulate to run the .25?

It's semiautomatic, so I only have to cock hammer once and usually they're carried cocked and locked, so it's ready to go.

M

mukwah

Interesting conversation indeed! Honestly, if faced with this choice I would have to cheat and carry both! One in each hand, shootem both untill they're empty then start throwing them at the BG!!! :eek:

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest

mukwah said:
Interesting conversation indeed! Honestly, if faced with this choice I would have to cheat and carry both! One in each hand, shootem both untill they're empty then start throwing them at the BG!!! :eek:

Lol indeed m'friend.

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
Hmmm, 8, fifty grain FMJs vs 2, onefordyseven grain JHPs. Belive me, the team got a kick out of what that little 50 grain slug did to the 400lber. Remember that scene in James Bond when a bad guy covers James with a Colt Pony? "The left eye and I never miss".

D

Denny4kids

That's easy. I would pick the .25 and train with it. Then I would find and enter an IDPA bug gun match and then you will know the areas that need more practice. Also I would research and find the best carry ammo. Have 100% confidence in yourself and your weapon. Den

Tarheel

Hunter
BTB, just a curiosity question. What .25ACP pistol is SAO? My Bobcat fits the bill, but it's SA/DA. It's extremely accurate, reliable and is user friendly.

That said, I'd go with the Bobcat and practice alot (7+1 in .22lr and 8+1 in .25ACP). I've fired a 9mm Derringer (Cobra) on several occasions and have never been able to master accuracy with that gun. Actually, I couldn't shoot the thing enough in a session to define my accuracy...the sucker is a handful, or lack thereof....put the hurt on you in short order, IMHO.

Additionally, I don't care for the idea of having to cock an up-close SD (not that I consider the .25ACP as such) weapon for the first shot...different strokes, as they say.

Thx.
Tarheel

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Tarheel said:
Additionally, I don't care for the idea of having to cock an up-close SD (not that I consider the .25ACP as such) weapon for the first shot...different strokes, as they say.
I second Hank's comment. For up-close self-defense use, I want something that's as simple to use as a revolver but smaller and more easily concealed. This translates to the LCP and Glock 19 for me. I haven't handled an LC9 but it might fit the bill for me as well.

Personally, I would never consider .25ACP or .22 rimfire for a defensive weapon.

BeyondTheBox

Woodsman
Jan 7, 2013
The Great NorthWest

Tarheel said:
BTB, just a curiosity question. What .25ACP pistol is SAO? My Bobcat fits the bill, but it's SA/DA. It's extremely accurate, reliable and is user friendly.

That said, I'd go with the Bobcat and practice alot (7+1 in .22lr and 8+1 in .25ACP). I've fired a 9mm Derringer (Cobra) on several occasions and have never been able to master accuracy with that gun. Actually, I couldn't shoot the thing enough in a session to define my accuracy...the sucker is a handful, or lack thereof....put the hurt on you in short order, IMHO.

Thx.
Tarheel

It could be one of a few...

Beretta JetFire 950bs
F.I.E. Titan
Astra Cub 2000-25
Star Starlite
Colt Jr.

And you wouldn't have to cock it during the situation, they're intended and recommended to be carried cocked 'n' locked.

Northern_Son

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
The Heart of Ohio
Just playing along. If I had to choose from only those two, I would go with the .25 over the derringer for round count and because I belleve a hit with a .25 is better than a miss with the 9mm.

Is the new little Sig still too big for you?