History of NFA Trusts????

GA Firing Line

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
I have done a little searching, and so far have turned up very little.

Anyone know when they started?

I grew up around gun shows/dealers and such-but I don't remember hearing about the trusts until the 90s.

Reactions: DoglegArms

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
ill look it up, but from what NFA old timers tell me.....

Some point in the late 80's or early 90's some florida lawyer theorized the trust route. He then began selling trusts.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Thanks-

It has always been a curiosity of mine.
I asked on a site with some NFA old timers, hopefully a better answer shows up

I seem to recall hearing that there was some case law that allows for trusts to be treated as individuals, which opened up the availability of NFA trusts.

Now the new approved MG case is challenging if a trust is the same as an individual, so I'm not really sure what all the goin ons are.

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
ill look it up, but from what NFA old timers tell me.....

Some point in the late 80's or early 90's some florida lawyer theorized the trust route. He then began selling trusts.
A Florida lawyer came up with it and it was actually deemed legal? Unfuckingbelievable.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
David claims to have "invented" the gun trust. I would have no idea if this is true. He has been doing gun trusts for quite some time.
he didn't, he just brought it back in vogue. Silencer companies on another site were recounted the oldest guntrusts they had seen, going back into the 60's

Reactions: DoglegArms

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
David claims to have "invented" the gun trust. I would have no idea if this is true. He has been doing gun trusts for quite some time.

I just don't understand how the trusts are legal.

Sure, the concept is a great one, but why can't the govt just say that the CLEO signature and the fingerprint/background check requirements were never met-and just invalidate the trusts?

I understand that a trust can't do the fingerprint things, but the individuals on a trust could. And I just don't see how it complies with the CLEO thing in any manner.

Seems to me like the govt may just be trying ot get as many NFA things into trusts as possible and declare them invalid.